Brewer Fanatic

Contract rules question

DuWayne Steurer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

MLB contracts are not allowed to have performance based clauses based on statistical milestones other than games or at-bats, correct?

I'm talking about saying "you get a $300,000 bonus if you hit .325" type stuff. I'm almost positive this is correct, but can't find a link or source anywhere online.

I think you are right. All bonuses have to be playing time type stuff. I have never actually read anything about it anywhere outside of a message board though. Maybe peruse Cot's contracts. You may have to actually go through the CBA.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Yankees and Arod came up with a marketing agreement that pays him for milestone HR, from Cots

$30M marketing agreement based on home run milestones ($6M each for reaching 660, 714, 755 and tying and breaking major league HR record).

Other than that, it does seem that bonuses are paid for games started, games finished and games played.

Other than that, it does seem that bonuses are paid for games started, games finished and games played.

You can add plate appearances and innings pitched to that list.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This seems odd to me. It seems that this could lead to conflicts and "bad blood" if players are given days off and fall just short of reaching the contract milestone. While I understand that the point of this is to reward players for staying healthy and playing well enough to stay in the lineup (or pitching rotation), it seems like it could also cause a player to attempt to play injured or create some tough decisions for management when a player is struggling towards the end of the season.

To me, incentives based on actual performance seem to make more sense.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You are correct that players in the majors can't have specific performance bonuses - such as you get $100,000 if you hit 20 HR or $1,000,000 for winning 20 games or whatever.

You can have bonuses based upon playing time (games played, innings pitched, etc.) and awards (all star game, MVP, etc.).

For A-Rod, he has some clauses based upon 'historic' milestones - 700 HR, 3000 hits, etc. 'Historic' is my term - MLB may use something esle. I'm not sure who decides what kinds of things can considered 'historic' - but they can be negotiated into a contract.

Archived