Brewer Fanatic

How much are minor leaguers paid?

logan82
So I have a coworker who's son is trying to get a baseball scholarship to play somewhere. We have discussed several times what might happen if his son gets drafted. His son won't get drafted but he has several colleges interested. Anyway we were talking an got around to looking up what a minor leaguer actually earns. The only information we could find seems to be that first year players in the minors get a salary of $850 a month and only for the months they are playing. Is that true because if it is that seems criminal? Something like $5.31 an hour for 4 weeks at 40 hours. $20 a day while on road trips. Obviously a lot depends on what you sign for. What are players paid in the minors? It seems like until you are put on the 40-man roster you are only given a pittance.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The first hit on Google gave me this info, which seems similar to data I've seen before:

1st contract season: $850/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation

Alien Salary Rates: Different for aliens on visas--mandated by INS (Immigration).

Class AAA--First year: $2,150/month, after first year no less than $2,150/month

Class AA-First year: $1,500/month, after first year no less than $1,500/month

Class A (full season)--First year: $1,050/month, after first year no less than $1,050/month

Class A (short-season)--First year: $850/month, after first year no less than $850/month

Dominican & Venezuelan Summer Leagues--no lower than $300/month

Meal Money: $20 per day at all levels, while on the road

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q...ayers_make#ixzz16AOltaiv

I believe that when the Brewers affiliate was in WV some, if not most, of the players stayed with host families to reduce the cost of living. I know that happened with the Northern league when I used to live in those cities.

Minor League Baseball player contracts are handled by the Major League Baseball office. Here are the salary ranges:

First contract season: $1,100/month maximum. After that, open to negotiation

Alien Salary Rates: Different for aliens on visas as mandated by INS (Immigration).

Meal Money: $25 per day at all levels, while on the road

Link

That all seems correct. That's why some guys loved the Fall League as it was I think $5k or 8k for the season. The big boost for guys is when they get added to the 40-man roster. My favorite day working in the AFL was when Miguel Montero was added to the 40-man roster--easily the best guy and most enthusiastic I've been around, although I really liked Ryan Howard and Stephen Drew too. 40-man roster guys make something like $20k their first year, up to around 60 or 80k the third year. Minor league free agents can make up to the 6-figures.

With meal money on the road, don't forget the clubhouse dues. Players owe roughly $6-12 per day all season (home and away) to the clubhouse manager to help provide bat boys, food, and services (laundry, shoeshine, etc)

Minor League minimum salary

(for players on 40-man rosters for at least the second year or for players with at least one day of major league service)

2009: $65,000

2008: $62,500

2007: $60,000

2006: $54,500

2005: $52,600

Under the 2007-11 CBA, the new minimum for a player placed on the 40-man roster for the first time is $30,000 (50% of minor league minimum).

Per Cot's

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived