Brewer Fanatic

Best Sports Video Games (Hockey, kids) reviews of NHL11

RyDogg66

Hey guys. I recently bought a PS3, giving me a video game machine for the first time in about 14 years. I got a bunch of older titles like College Football 09, Madden 10 and MLB The Show 09. I like to play the games on the easiest levels with my son, who is only 4, but who can play college football on Freshman level and win any game he plays vs. the computer and he has a lot of fun.

Now he wants to get a Hockey game because he plays hockey at the local YMCA. You have to remember that the last time I played hockey video games was back in the era of '91-'94 with awesome EA titles and they were a lot of fun. From the research I have done the past week or so, it appears that a lot of games are trending toward a simulation style, where the gameplay almost becomes secondary to graphics, and it is overly detailed on the front office type of stuff. I want a game that has the best gameplay in the past 3 or so years. Keep in mind that I will probably be playing most of the games on the easiest level and that I want my son to be able to play and have fun.

I have read reviews for NHL 10 and 11 and 2k10, any tips on the best game given some of my criteria? Is NHL2k11 going to come out for ps3 or has there been an exclusive license granted to EA sports that has killed competition.

What are some of your other favorite sports games for actual gameplay as opposed to simulation.

I really only play three games on my xbox....NHL is one of them. NHL 11 is definitely where it is at. The graphics are unbelievable - it is amazing how life-like it is. Strategy is also very realistic. A few years ago (maybe 07ish), I demoed the EA version of NHL and the 2K version of NHL. The EA version was 10 fold better.

Before playing this game, I really didn't care for hockey. I didn't understand the rules nor the strategy. Now after playing this game for a couple years, I learned the actual rules and real strategy of the game of hockey. I became a huge fan of the NHL. Watching hockey is now my second favorite thing to watch on TV (with the Brewers being number 1). I'm even in a fantasy hockey league this year. I'm not trying to put this game on a pedestal, but if it wasn't for the EA version of the game, I probably wouldn't follow hockey today.

It does take some time getting used to the controls, skating is done with the left joystick and all the deking/shooting (on offense) and hitting (on defense) is controlled with the right joystick. Once these controls get engraved in your head, the game becomes much easier. If this bothers you, you can always put on classic '94 controls where passing is a button press and shooting is a button press. I've never done this before though.

you can always put on classic '94 controls where passing is a button press and shooting is a button press.
That is awesome, that is what I wanted to hear. This way, my son can either play by himself or with me and we can "dumb it down" to just moving with the joystick and shooting with one button. Then after junior goes to bed I can play all-out-in-your-face-full-on hockey. This one is definitely going to be under the tree this year.

Glad I could help out Rydogg. I'll guarantee that you made the right choice and you won't be disappointed with my current favorite game. Because nothing is going on tonight and I want to kill some time, I'm actually on my way downstairs to play this game online.

have any of the latest hockey games fixed the fighting mechanic? They've always been so lame. Punch and block--oh boy! (he rolls his eyes)

I'd love to see an actual scrum, where you can punch, sure, but also if you have the upper hand you can pull his sweater over his head and keep pummeling him.

I know it's not a major thing with a hockey video game. The gameplay should be #1. But every hockey game I've ever played has a fighting mechanic that seems just thrown in.

Oh, and I've come to know EA games in the past as being way too easy to play goal-festivals. Routinely, games would finish like an all-star game, with 12-10 final scores. Have they fixed this, too?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I believe they fixed the fighting in NHL 10 (and carried over into 11). Dodging is done with the left stick, blocking/grabbing the jersey with the triggers and punching with right stick. If you want to do a full wind-up punch you go back and forth with the right stick. You can uppercut too by grabbing onto the jersey first and then going back and forth. Each hit drains a health meter and after the fight each line gains stamina. Outside of actually throwing punches, I'm not sure how much more realistic you would want it to be. Once again EA did an amazing job with it.

Another thing that they put into NHL 11 is the ability to break sticks. Once it is broken, you can play without a stick and pass by kicking or go to the bench and get a new stick. They put a new physics engine in for '11 too. Each hit is different and looks very realistic. It does not even look animated anymore. They have this "wow" factor (or at least that is what EA said). Also with this new physics engine, if a stick breaks, it is left on the ice and the puck can actually bounce off it. I'm not sure if you can trip over them (I usually skate around broken sticks). Shots from the point can get deflected in by a guy in the slot too.

Unless I am really terrible at the game (which I don't think I am anyways), I struggle to score more than 3 goals a game. Computers have enough AI to figure out your offense and defend it. It makes it much more difficult to score. I usually only play online and each game is different. It is quite hard to score. I average just under 2 goals a game online and a little over 2 in my season.

What was the last hockey game you played?

for me, I played the heck out of NHL 2000. The latest one I've played (and own) is NHL 06.

I play on PC, though, and since they don't make hockey for PC anymore, I'm stuck with it. I have seen online on some forums, that some people have modded NHL '04 I believe where it is way better than any other game out there. I haven't tried looking for it yet.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• 1 month later...

So my son (read: "I") got NHL 11 for Xmas and it has bypassed MW2 as my most played game. We are having a blast playing together in Season Mode as the Penguins. My son can play with the NHL 94 controls and I can play along with him with the regular controls.

Things I like about this game is that the games are short, and there is constant action, so the games dont feel too short

When I play on my own I play on Rookie level and I am finding that while I have lost a few games, lately I am winning games 7-2 or 9-0.

After playing about a dozen games I am finding that I can really only score on slap shots and wristers and snap shots are easily saved. Also, at least on Rookie level, it is too easy to split the defense with my Center and go right toward the goalie for a relatively easy shot.

Next, the opposing offense often dumps the puck into the zone and I just go corral it and start another break.

Also the time of possession or time on attack, whatever it is called, is usually skewed heavily to my favor some times 17 minutes to 3 minutes or something in that nature. Shots on goal are also 2-1 for me.

So besides the fact that I need to bump it up to a harder level, what other issues are people finding with this game?

All in all, I think it is fantastic.

Glad you liked the game. As I inferred earlier, this game is highly addictive. I still play (and enjoy) this game a lot. When I play against the computer, I usually play on Pro (the next level up from rookie) or All-Star (two levels up from rookie) if I really want a challenge. I exclusively play online now, so I really don't remember what it is like playing against the computer. I do remember that when I made this transition, people play much more aggressively when trying to get the puck into the zone.

I hate to break it to you, but once you play at a higher level, it is much harder to have open wrist and slap shots. They get into the passing and shooting lanes much better. The easiest way to score on this though is to set up a lot of backdoor one-timer plays. This is basically all I do online. Regarding defense and shooting from the point, make sure that you hold down the left trigger (not sure what button it would be on ps3). It squares you up with the making poke checks on defense and shooting on offense much more reliable.

I do have some minor complaints about the game though. For one, I think it is nearly impossible to execute a one-on-one deke against the computer or online. However, I do like when people do them against me. It is really easy to break up with poke checking. I also don't like how you can get sucked into the boards when getting pinned. It just doesn't seem realistic. Also I don't like that auto-aim is even an option. It makes it too easy to score. Maybe it shouldn't be a complaint (because it is how I get most of my goals), but I think it is too easy to set up backdoor one-timers on rushes.

All in all these complaints are so minor and don't really affect game play much. I still play it too much!

Archived