Brewer Fanatic

Eric Hinske

As the jsonline blog said today, the team needs some guys with pop on the bench, not a bunch of singles hitters.

Then Dickerson should be a safe bet to make the bench. He's got very good pop for a guy that can also play a good CF. At this point, I'd really like to see Gomez non-tendered.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Suppan was exactly the same crappy pitcher with the Cardinals he was with the Brewers.

That's true. But that's better than what Parra was able to give the Brewers in 2010, which is what I think would be relevant as to whether Suppan was cut too early.

If Gomez is earning around $1m, hard to non-tender a guy who might put it together at AAA for the cost of a low 1st round singing bonus. I'm not optimistic about that happening but at this point it isn't a crazy thing to do.

Very true... but with our new manager I wonder whether or not Gomez would actually get sent to AAA to try & figure things out.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If the Brewers don't end up getting Hinske, and have to wait until late in the offseason to fill the bench... I wonder if Bill Hall would be a fit. I know Melvin is looking for a lefty power bat off the bench, and Hall is righty, but... well... maybe I'm just opening a can of worms.

If Gomez is earning around $1m, hard to non-tender a guy who might put it together at AAA for the cost of a low 1st round singing bonus. I'm not optimistic about that happening but at this point it isn't a crazy thing to do.

Very true... but with our new manager I wonder whether or not Gomez would actually get sent to AAA to try & figure things out.

Hopefully he doesn't see Gomez' tools and think he can actually do anything. Gomez would of course have to pass through waivers to go to AAA. From Gomez comments I have little or no faith he will change his approach to improve. Maybe it was all false bravado but he seemed to think he was entitled to the starting CF job. I have many worries about RRR and the biggest one is seeing a lineup topped by Escobar and Gomez/Cain. Gomez has been benched by at least 2 different managers at this point and has shown nothing to indicate he thinks his approach is the problem. I really hope he at some point fulfills his promise but I have grown tired of him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Don't you have to be up 5 years before you have to clear waivers to go to AAA? He's got options.

Optional Waivers

Optional major league waivers are required when optioning a player who has options remaining but who is more than three calendar years removed from his first appearance on a Major League roster. Because optional waivers are revocable, players usually clear in this scenario.

We just saw this happen last year with Bush and this year with Villanueva.

I blame Wang.

Maybe it was all false bravado but he seemed to think he was entitled to the starting CF job. I have many worries about RRR and the biggest one is seeing a lineup topped by Escobar and Gomez/Cain. Gomez has been benched by at least 2 different managers at this point and has shown nothing to indicate he thinks his approach is the problem.

Gomez did have different words after seeing Cain capably replace him.

""I'm not out of the lineup because I'm a bad center fielder or because I'm slow," Gomez said. "It's because I don't get on base consistent. If I get on base more consistent, there's no question about whether I'm going to play every day."

"I'm not going to say I'm happy, but I have to be positive, no matter what the [situation] is," he said. "I'm here every day to do my work in the cage, and whether I play or not, every day for me is the same. If I'm in the lineup, I know I have to produce. I know I have to get on base. My teammates are never going to see me upset, they never see me complaining. They know I want to play."

And if Cain is the everyday center fielder next season and Gomez finds himself in a reserve role again?

"A job is a job," he said. "I'm not thinking right now like I'm going to be a bench player. I'm 24 years old and next year I'll be 25. You're going to see in Spring Training that whoever does the best job is going to be the guy. If [a bench] job is the only job I can get, you have to take it."

from: http://milwaukee.brewers....k_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

If I'm not mistaken, Gomez has been having a decent showing in the Dominican Winter League thus far. Not saying that will translate into big league success, but he seems to be putting the work in.
He started out really crappy but had a few good games to get up to a .364OB and .750ish OPS. I guess he just needed a few hits here and there to improve.

I blame Wang.

If I'm not mistaken, Gomez has been having a decent showing in the Dominican Winter League thus far. Not saying that will translate into big league success, but he seems to be putting the work in.

Escobar led the Venezuelan League in hitting last year. It doesn't really mean much at all.

Archived