Brewer Fanatic

Derek Jeter and NYY negotiations

Invader3K
Jeter would be walking away from quite a bit by leaving New York. He simply won't have the same cachet playing in another city, even a large one like San Francisco, as he has basically already cemented his legacy in New York. Leaving now for a bit more money would send a terrible message to his fans, and I'm not sure they would just accept him back with open arms upon retirement. He stands to make quite a bit from further endorsement deals. His 3,000th hit will be much more prestigious as a Yankee than as a Giant (or whatever club). There has also been talk in the past of him working with the Yankees beyond his playing days, perhaps even as a part owner. That opportunity probably won't be there if he snubs a $45 million contract and leaves the club.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I'm not saying he has ALL the leverage, just some. Some of the discussion here seems to be implying he has none.

I think both parties are motivated to do this and the large offer on the table will be the one that eventually gets done.

It would obviously be beneficial for both parties for Jeter to be back next year. But there's only one reason why the Yankees would up their offer - for Jeter's pride. He's not going to leave for less and no one is going to pay him more than 3/45. So then why would they change the AAV? Also the Yankees can offer lots of money, but they do operate under a budget and that 15-20 million might be needed to dump Burnett or give them the edge with an international free agent. And why give him more years when Jeter has shown that he won't easily take a smaller role when his bat diminishes even more? Jeter's team's strategy was "I'm Derek Jeter, so pay me" and it backfired. My question is when are they going to realize this failed.

ETA: I think what will happen is the Yankees are going to offer a deal loaded with incentives or a team option for a fourth year with a small buyout for Jeter to save face. The Yankees are in no rush to see this get done, but the longer Jeter waits the worse he looks in my opinion.

Yanks fans will be fine with standing pat on their original offer. . .until he starts meeting with other clubs. If there is any real chance that he could sign with the Giants or others, they will go through the roof.

The Yanks don't get outbid on anyone, and if they try to start being "frugal" with the face of the franchise, the fans will roar. It worked out with Bernie Williams because he didn't end up with any offers.

It's all good until it's not--and the Yanks will never be able to explain how El Capitan signed with the Nationals for more than they were willing to spend.

I could see the Yankees offering him a 4th year (maybe as an option with a sizable buyout) to get this done and so both sides can "save face."

I've thought the same thing for awhile now, Jeter will end up getting something like a 4yr/60-65 million dollar deal. Maybe like you said the 4th year will have a some strings attached to performance.

I think Jeter is being pretty ridiculous if that's what he's really seeking. He holds little to no power in the negotiations; he can either take above market value from the Yankees or go somewhere else for less. I don't see any way that he gets what he reportedly wants. Good for the Yankees for not paying him just for the sake of paying him.

He'd have no power if his name weren't Derek Jeter.

Jeter's more than his WAR or last seasons below average line. And it's the friggin Yankee's. Give him 20 million over 4 years and be done with it. Jeter's got to be willing to take that. I don't think George would have thought twice about that type of contract. Hell, he may have offered him more....

In the end I think the Yankee's will just pay him "for the sake of paying him."

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived