Brewer Fanatic

Derek Jeter and NYY negotiations

Invader3K
I think the biggest issue is that Jeter is treating 3years/$15m as a slap in the face. That's still a huge salary, one which few players cross.

No question. Jeter isn't even worth that 3yr/45 million dollar offer, i doubt that he could get more than a 3yr/30 million dollar deal on the free market. That said, i can understand why the Yankees still are offering a 3yr/45 million contract as a special case thank you for a Yankees legend. They have the financial resources to do something like that. Jeter though acting offended to a generous offer even after collecting 190 million over the previous 10 years has been a big PR mistake. Most baseball fans, including Yankee fans are put off by Jeter sticking his nose up to that contract offer given his age and previous contract.

A few years ago I thought Hardy would be a FA and the SS of the future for the Yankees.

I gotta admit, i was very wrong about Hardy. I thought that he'd be a top 10 SS in all of baseball right now, instead he's facing being non-tendered and thus may have to fight for an everyday SS job in a spring training next year.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the biggest issue is that Jeter is treating 3years/$15m as a slap in the face. That's still a huge salary, one which few players cross.

No question. Jeter isn't even worth that 3yr/45 million dollar offer, i doubt that he could get more than a 3yr/30 million dollar deal on the free market. That said, i can understand why the Yankees still are offering a 3yr/45 million contract as a special case thank you for a Yankees legend. They have the financial resources to do something like that. Jeter though acting offended to a generous offer even after collecting 190 million over the previous 10 years has been a big PR mistake. Most baseball fans, including Yankee fans are put off by Jeter sticking his nose up to that contract offer given his age and previous contract.

A few years ago I thought Hardy would be a FA and the SS of the future for the Yankees.

I gotta admit, i was very wrong about Hardy. I thought that he'd be a top 10 SS in all of baseball right now, instead he's facing being non-tendered and thus may have to fight for an everyday SS job in a spring training next year.

I thought so, too. Then again, Hardy seemed to decline after 2008 - don't know if ti was injury or because he and Macha didn't seem to get on the same page.

That said, if Escobar doesn't manage to get the OPS north of .700, then it's time to find a new shortstop. I'd say move Lawrie there, and extend Weeks. Between Lawrie at short, Weeks at second, and a rebound for Braun, it could take the sting out of a Fielder-less 2012.

maybe 3yr/$40MM to a delusional owner

if the Yankees told Jeter to go shopping and i was the Red Sox, i think i'd make a ridiculous offer just out of spite. Jeter signing with Boston would be worth any amount of money.

At this point if I'm the Yankees, I'd be a-ok with Jeter signing with Boston. The fans turning on Jeter would wash away any feelings of ill will towards the organization for not re-signing him, and the Yankees' biggest rival would sign an aging SS for a buttload of money that isn't anything much better than average at this point. I don't think BOS would be interested in spending that much money on him for those reasons, though.

Jeter's going to continue to pout, the Yankees are going to let their (gigantic) offer of 3/$45M stand, Jeter's going to test FA & find the offers won't even come close to the Yankees'. Heck, at that point the Yankees could probably cut their $45M offer to ~$35-40M & still by far offer him the most money.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

At this point if I'm the Yankees, I'd be a-ok with Jeter signing with Boston. The fans turning on Jeter would wash away any feelings of ill will towards the organization for not re-signing him, and the Yankees' biggest rival would sign an aging SS for a buttload of money that isn't anything much better than average at this point.
I wouldn't count on that. The same thing with Farve and the Packers will happen with Jeter and the Yankees. Most fans will get over it and move on while others will never let it go.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Here is our chance! Lets swoop in and pay Jeter his asking price so we can steal him away from NYY and pay them back for stealing CC away. Then we will have that gold glove defense we have always been longing for! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The Lawrie to shortstop thing is never going to happen no matter how many times it gets suggested.

Sure it can. We then just need to get five starters who can throw 200+ strikeouts each and hope no one ever hits a ground ball.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think Jeter will be stubborn for awhile, and maybe even look around to see if there's any interest. Then he'll realize that no one wanted him at even anywhere near what the Yankees offered, so he'll come crawling back and take their offer. $15 million is far more than he's worth anyway, so the Yankees are already being generous in my opinion.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I could see the Yankees offering him a 4th year (maybe as an option with a sizable buyout) to get this done and so both sides can "save face."

I don't think the Yankees need to save face. It seems like Jeter's camp banked on the fans and media taking his side, and each day it's looking more and more the opposite.

Beltre is gonna sign with a west coast team, and Boston is gonna sign him to play 3B. I can see it happening....

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think we may be underestimating Jeter's leverage with the Yankees....the "modern Yankee legend" thing + 3000 hits means something. That said, I think at the end of the day he'll end up taking the "inflated" offer the Yankees have on the table.

I think we may be underestimating Jeter's leverage with the Yankees....the "modern Yankee legend" thing + 3000 hits means something. That said, I think at the end of the day he'll end up taking the "inflated" offer the Yankees have on the table.

You have to go to the top of the page though with what Principessa21 wrote. The Jeter camp was banking on the fans and media to take their side since they have no leg to stand on production wise. It doesn't look like the fans and media are taking their side though, so Jeter really has no leverage. No team is going to beat a 3/45 offer even if they're desperate for a SS. He's better off just taking the deal the Yankees have on the table. Or taking a one year deal and hoping for a bounce back year where he can re-negotiate a better deal.

The downside would still be no neo-Mr. Yankee (at least not a "clean" version of him) and no 3000 hit chase. I'm not saying these are be-all-end-all; but they mean something to the Yankees and Jeter knows that. Hence, his leverage.

Archived