Brewer Fanatic

Gavin Floyd

Jeffress is our future closer....no guarantee Axford keeps up what he did last year
There's no guarantee that Jeffress is our future closer either. He could just as easily flame out, get hurt, etc. I'm not saying that's a reason to trade him, but if Melvin could get Beckham and Floyd (or a comparable package) for Fielder/Jeffress, I think he at least has to keep an open mind.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to keep jeffress, but to get players with value, it's going to have to hurt a little bit.
I hear that. At least suggesting Jeffress is more realistic than thinking throwing in Parra or Villanueva is going to have any real value in a trade.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Gordon Beckham would be a huge downgrade from Weeks or even McGehee. In my view, he's one of the most overhyped and overrated players in baseball over the past several years. If he was that good, you wouldn't constantly be hearing rumors that the White Sox are shopping him. Before we hear the 'he is still young' excuse, keep in mind that he is only about a year younger than Prince.

There's no guarantee that Jeffress is our future closer either. He could just as easily flame out, get hurt, etc. I'm not saying that's a reason to trade him, but if Melvin could get Beckham and Floyd (or a comparable package) for Fielder/Jeffress, I think he at least has to keep an open mind.
If we are trading Fielder and Jeffress for something like Floyd and Beckham I want Melvin fired yesterday for doing a deal as stupid as that. Jeffress shouldn't even be placed into a trade that doesn't bring back someone like a Greinke. If you are trading Jeffress just to get another player like Beckham I like Beckham but he is not worth Jeffress at this time.

If Beckham was on the Brewers do you think the White Sox would trade Jeffress for Beckham? No way do they do that deal. You would have to add more to the deal to get Jeffress.

I believe everyone is extremely discounting Prince's value. I would expect the Brewers to get a return that is comparable to the one that the Rockies got for Holliday. I don't think the Brewers will get a top #1 or #2 type of a pitcher but they may get someone like Carlos Gonzalez in a trade along with a #4 or a #5 type of a pitcher and some lower level pitchers. If the Brewers can not get a return of at least what the Rockies got for Holliday then the Brewers should just hold onto Prince and take the draft pick or picks for losing Prince.

I still do not understand the fascination with Floyd. There is no way that he alone would get Prince in a trade let alone the Brewers having to add in Jeffress to get Beckham. That is just crazy talk someone is either extremely down on Prince's trade value or extremely high on Floyd.

Anyone that thinks Jeffress is more valuable than Beckham needs to put a few things in perpective. Jeffress is probably a reliever, and and although he could be a great one, they simply cannot provide much value. Beckham is how old? 24. McGehee was toiling away in the minors at that age. Beckham was a top 15 prospect 2 years ago, and has had his ups and downs, sure, but has been solid for much of his early career. If we trade fielder, Beckham can play 3rd as McGehee slides to 1b where he belongs ( or we could trade him and put Gamel at 1b). I wouldn't worry about a surplus of infielders, especially with weeks approaching FA.

Now, of course I'd rather trade prince for all pitchers or pitching prospects, but I'm jut proposing an idea with the white sox, who may actually be interested, unlike many teams.

Floyd's fine and Beckham definitely has upside still, but why would we trade Jeffress to get Beckham when we:

a)need pitching;

b)have too many infielders?

He's cheaper and more versatile than both Weeks and McGehee? If we got Beckham we're not stuck trading just Rickie or Casey as he can play 2b or 3b. We could shop both.

Plus, The Outfield - Your Love. I missed hearing it after Frank Cat's departure.

He's cheaper and more versatile than both Weeks and McGehee?
If we trade McGehee, we still have Gamel. If we trade Weeks (which I don't think is something Doug would even consider unless we are out of it at the trade deadline), we still have Lawrie or Farris. If we trade Jeffress, we just have one less pitcher with big upside.

I like Beckham, but why would we trade from a weakness into a strength in order to possibly trade back from the strength into a weakness again? I'm gonna claim Occam's razor here.

that is absurd why trade Jeffress to get Beckman what makes anyone hink he has more value than a quality arm.
Agreed. I'm just not sure why everyone thinks that Beckham is an uber-stud. People are acting like he's the next Ryne Sandberg or something. Most everything he has done to attain that status was accomplished with an aluminum bat. I would say that he's facing tall odds that he will ever eclipse Rickie Weeks as a player. Granted, Rickie started slow as well (at about the same age), but he's developed into a very good player in large part. For every guy that starts slow and develops, there are probably five 'Rated Rookies' that start slow and flop. Why would you let the proven commodity walk and replace him with a question mark? Salary would be the only reason that I can think of, something that would have been 15 years ago. Even if cost is an issue, McGehee is just as cheap and has shown a lot more with the bat, though I'm assuming that Beckham is a better fielder. Gamel is in the mix as well.This team needs pitching not yet another guy that plays 2nd and 3rd base. Trading a top pitching prospect (reliever or not) for this guy would be asinine in my opinion.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What about Floyd for Casey McGehee?

Let's say the Sox can resign Konerko. They end up with a lineup of:

C - Pierzynski

1B - Konerko

2B - Beckham

SS - Ramirez

3B - Vizquel / Teahen

RF - Quentin

LF - Pierre

CF - Rios

DH - Dunn

SP - Peavy, Jackson, Danks, Buehrle and Floyd

If they dealt Floyd, they could bring back a guy like Freddy Garcia to take the 5th starter position, and by adding McGehee, they fill out their lineup. They'd need to work on their relief corps.

The move would save them money - something they'd likely need to resign Konerko.

ESPN had this about the Dunn deal:

Williams said that instead of the three or four offseason agendas he

usually presents to chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, he had just two this time.

One was a young team that, while more affordable and full of potential,

would take its lumps. The other was to add to what existed.

"Ultimately

[with the Dunn deal], you see the obvious decision," Williams said. "We

just didn't want to be in the middle. The decision was that if we were

going all in, we were going all in.

"

That is not the talk of a team that wants Omar Vizquel (bless his soul, i love the guy) every day in the lineup.

The Brewers would then have Floyd for two years and could put Gamel at 3B.

If the White Sox are admittedly going "all-in" for 2011, I don't see why they'd want to deal one of their starting 5 this particular offseason. Floyd may not be an ace, but he'd easily be the most attractive FA SP after Cliff Lee this offseason. I think they'd do better to try & trade prospect(s) for a third baseman, and try to sign a non-tendered guy like Cust to replace Konerko. However, if my assumption is wrong, I'd definitely like to see McGehee flipped for Floyd.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just don't see Kenny trading a SP at this point with Peavy's status being so uncertain. Last I heard there was some doubt about his being ready for spring training. His injury is one of great uncertainty due to the rarity of it. They really don't even have a minor league arm that's ready to step in as a 5th starter that I'm aware of. Kenny's aggressive trading has moved out the majority of MLB ready arms.

Archived