Brewer Fanatic

Dan Uggla traded to the Braves for IF Omar Infante and LHP Mike Dunn

Invader3K

It's definitely not an exciting return, but they weren't going to get much for a 2B with one year left on his contract. Maybe they just wanted to move him so they could pursue more long term options.

The key might have been Dunn, who seems like a pretty solid reliever.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Atlanta was swindled! They gave up a true All-Star for a guy that couldn't even make fewer than three errors in an All-Star game!

Uggla profiles as a type A who will most likely reject arbitration next offseason and garner the Braves 2 picks, correct? If so, this seems like a really solid deal for the Braves. If not, this seems like a good deal for both clubs.

looks like a great move by the Braves..... Infante is coming off a career year but doesn't offer any power & doesn't steal bases.....Dunn is a young loogy with power stuff (97) but he was stuck behind Venters & O'Flaherty....

Only 2 questions from the Braves perspective: 1) Uggla is only signed thru 2011 so there's some risk for trading for him without a signed extension, and 2) what position will be play? 2B with Prado playing LF or 3B & sometimes 1B ..... or will Prado stay at 2B with Uggla moving to LF (Chipper is coming back at 3B) ...Prado plays an excellent 2B & I'd hate to see him move to another position

Braves lineup looks much stronger & they keep their strong pitching staff intact....and keep their best prospects for yet another deal for a CF or LF

looks like a great move by the Braves..... Infante is coming off a career year but doesn't offer any power & doesn't steal bases

The Braves have now essentially traded Yunel Escobar for Dan Uggla. I'm assuming Fran Wren is going to go all-out on a contract extension with Uggla. If they can extend him, this is a very nice pickup. I have to admit, though, I'm going to miss the FLA tv guys' HR call -- "His name... is DAN UGGLA!" Maybe he can bring that call along with him.

2) what position will be play?

With Chipper's age, I'd guess Uggla will find time at least at 2B & 3B, but possibly LF too (?). Uggla really is an awful defender at 2B.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's definitely not an exciting return, but they weren't going to get much for a 2B with one year left on his contract.
Not to deviate from the topic of the Uggla trade too much, but it makes you wonder what a team could get for, say, a 1B with one year left on his contract. Yikes.

Uggla's a pretty big get for the Braves -- they really needed a true power bat, and I could see Uggla eventually moving to third once Chipper moves on. Not sure I understand this move from the Marlins' perspective, as they basically traded one of the best hitting second basemen in the league for a utility guy and a reliever. I'd be pretty ticked if the Brewers traded Rickie Weeks to the Cardinals for like Skip Schumaker and Mitchell Boggs. Infante's not even under team control for very long -- he's a free agent after 2011, too.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think this goes to show the low demand for high priced guys nearing free agency, regardless of the numbers and accolades.

This looks like a preview of a little less of what could be offered in a Prince trade as well. Both Uggla and Fielder have about 30+ HR in past seasons, and a year left on their contract. Even with arguing Fielder is better, its not tremendously better. Other teams are starting to realize that high priced guys need to be unloaded in trades, and not necessarily for a lot of talent, and certainly not for starting pitching.

Uggla and Prince had similar seasons in 2010. The difference between the two is this is probably as good as Uggla gets where it was a down year for Prince.

Uggla is 4 years older and Prince's career OPS is 80 points higher. If Uggla was a quality 2B you could argue that makes up for a lot of the difference. But he's not. In a couple years he'll be a 1B or DH, which further's the distance between his and Prince's value.

I think this goes to show the low demand for high priced guys nearing free agency, regardless of the numbers and accolades.

This looks like a preview of a little less of what could be offered in a Prince trade as well. Both Uggla and Fielder have about 30+ HR in past seasons, and a year left on their contract. Even with arguing Fielder is better, its not tremendously better. Other teams are starting to realize that high priced guys need to be unloaded in trades, and not necessarily for a lot of talent, and certainly not for starting pitching.

I guess I'm not following the logic about guys needing to be traded for lesser talent. While it's true the Brewers may not get much back, it's also true they don't "need" to trade him either. Florida wanted to save some money in 2011 and may have felt a need, but the Brewers aren't in that situation. They can let Fielder walk after 2011 after using his services another year, get 2 high draft picks and save some cash for 2012 and beyond to use elsewhere.

The Marlins really didn't save that much money. They are going to spend a large chunk of the money on Buck. The Marlins had a shot at getting 4 prospects from Toronto (including pitching), but turned it down, failed to get Prado, and settled for Infante/Dunn. Trading to a division rival no less really makes it look like the Marlins got desperate and couldn't get value for him. If given the chance at getting 4 good prospects for Fielder, rather than 2 high draft picks, and saving cash now, wouldn't that still seem somewhat appealing?

It looks like the attitude of most teams who can afford Fielder at this point, are more than willing and able to wait until he comes out from the Brewers umbrella. Paying for him will be enough pain, but trading away a player on top of it to get him a year earlier is too much to ask.

Archived