Brewer Fanatic

Prince not going anywhere?

I can understand the unwillingness to tie up 20 million into a single player long term and why. In fact, I understand both sides of the debate. I would be fine with handing Fielder a 6-7year 160 million contract. The Brewers could always trade him to the AL towards to later part of his contract if they absolutely have to. I think the Brewers might actually offer a contract like this. They were prepared to offer a 6th year to Sabathia and no one knows if they could go even higher than that to a 7th year. The Brewers management has said that they see long term big money deals for pitchers as a more risky investments than a huge long term deal for position player. Fielder is a very special player to the Brewers and they regard him very highly.

Looks like the market for Fielder won't be ideal with Gonzalez, Pujols, and now perhaps Willingham all hitting FA after this coming 2011 season. I doubt that Boras and Fielder get the deal that they are looking for and they would be wise to highly consider a 150-160 million offer from the Brewers if they choose to offer that.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can understand the unwillingness to tie up 20 million into a single player long term and why. In fact, I understand both sides of the debate. I would be fine with handing Fielder a 6-7year 160 million contract. The Brewers could always trade him to the AL towards to later part of his contract if they absolutely have to. I think the Brewers might actually offer a contract like this. They were prepared to offer a 6th year to Sabathia and no one knows if they could go even higher than that to a 7th year. The Brewers management has said that they see long term big money deals for pitchers as a more risky investments than a huge long term deal for position player. Fielder is a very special player to the Brewers and they regard him very highly.

Looks like the market for Fielder won't be ideal with Gonzalez, Pujols, and now perhaps Willingham all hitting FA after this coming 2011 season. I doubt that Boras and Fielder get the deal that they are looking for and they would be wise to highly consider a 150-160 million offer from the Brewers if they choose to offer that.

I don't think you realize the gravity of the numbers you keep throwing around. The idea that the Brewers could just trade a 30+ year old Fielder to the AL when he is making $22 mil per is not as easy of a fallback option as you make it sound. A 7 year contract is a lot of risk and it seems like you are treating that $160 mil like monopoly money.

Boras was shooting for the moon when he brought up Texiera's contract for Prince. You essentially want to give that to him with 1 less year. It would be a terrible move for the Brewers to go that direction and a tremendous overpay.

About the most I would feel comfortable giving Fielder would be about $120 million over 6 years. Even that would be a stretch, but I think he could be reasonably counted on to live up to such a contract. Perhaps it would be possible to front load such a deal, given the payroll room we will have next season. Deep down, I don't think he really wants to stay in Milwaukee, given some of his comments this past July. I expect Melvin is going to make one more token offer to Prince very soon, which Boras will turn down. Then if a reasonably good trade offer comes along, he gets dealt. If not, we go into 2011 with Prince at first base and either deal him at the deadline or take the picks when he walks in free agency.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What's really annoying to me about the whole situation is the old, 'you get more for bats in the offseason' nonsense. I just don't think a GM should be creating & abiding by arbitrary rules like that. I've really come around to not wanting to see Melvin as part of the organization's future anymore. I just don't think he has a solid plan, but I hope he proves otherwise.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, I think there is some logic to Melvin's comments about that. However, I agree that it isn't good to make deals in sports with such hard and fast rules in mind. I think he really misjudged the trade market for Fielder. Not sure if that's his fault or not, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's obvious that the time to trade Fielder was last off-season. I know that Doug knew that just like we do, but I doubt that Mark A would've signed off on trading him at that time. No Doug is just stuck in a no-win situation here. People will be pissed if he trades Prince for anything less that a top starter, people will be pissed if he keeps him into the season, people will be pissed if he's traded for whatever Doug can get at the deadline, people will be pissed if we just let him walk and take the draft picks, and people will be pissed if we overpay to resign him as unlikely as that is to happen. There's really nothing Doug can do anymore in this situation. He might as well just take what he can get for Fielder right now and deal with the consequences.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

He might as well just take what he can get for Fielder right now and deal with the consequences.

That sounds all well and fine. However, the problem is that there seems to be no interest in Fielder at all right now. I mean, have we heard even one solid rumor yet about a team having real interest in Prince? Sure, we've heard speculation that maybe the White Sox or a team like the Orioles or Rangers, "might be interested." But that's it. No rumors on any offers, nothing. I don't think there is a market for him at all. Maybe that will change later this winter if some team gets desperate and thinks Prince could be the last piece they need to make a big playoff run. But how likely is that to actually happen? I think we're basically stuck with him going into next season. Melvin had better hope that the team is highly competitive and Prince has somewhat of a rebound season, or he's going to have to trade him in July for scraps.

Invader3K wrote:
I think we're basically stuck with him going into next season. Melvin had better hope that the team is highly competitive and Prince has somewhat of a rebound season, or he's going to have to trade him in July for scraps.

or you know keep him for picks. I will not be to worried about being stuck with Fielder until Spring Training.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Still lots a 1B's that have to find a home. I am guessing we don't hear much until the winter meetings. It might be a good time to approach Prince about the courtesy talk of an extension one final time. Keep the rumors on hold until the winter meetings. Not like we'd get a good deal for him this early in the off season anyway. We have to wait this one out a bit at a minimum.

HTR's right. We're hardly a month into the offseason, and the first month's usually not where most of the action occurs. That means there's a long way to go and a whole heck of a lot that could happen.

Prince may well be here next year. Or he may not. We all want to read the tea leaves, and it's sure fun to speculate. But it's just way too soon to know what's actually going to be.

Well this is confirmation that Boras met with Doug Melvin during the GM meetings and I highly be willing to bet that Fielder was there also since he was spotted eating with Boras at the GM meetings. I think Doug melvin is trying to down play it to be honest.

Melvin met briefly with Boras a few weeks ago at the general managers

meetings in Orlando but nothing was said to indicate a change in stance

by the agent or player.

“I met briefly with Scott,” said Melvin. “We did not have a lot of talks about Prince.”

link

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'm guessing Melvin may have floated the idea of an extension once last time and Boras said "no." I think the Winter Meetings will be very telling. Either we'll start to hear some concrete rumors about Prince being traded, or Melvin will accept the fact there isn't much market for him and go into 2011 with Prince at 1B.

Id rather have Prince for one more year, plus two draft picks, than acquire the second coming of Jamey Wright and Jimmy Haynes for him, which is about what you should expect for the return.
Couldn't agree more. On another note, Verducci basically stated last night on MLB network that Brewers would not trade Fielder because the market has dried up and that they are leaning to filling some of their pitching holes with their own young arms. I took from that they are seriously considering Rogers in the rotation sooner rather than later and the 5th spot will be filled by a lower profile FA type. I assume that means someone already linked to them like Washburn, Capuano, or McCarthy.

Archived