Brewer Fanatic

Padres interested in Brett Lawrie?

Invader3K
Just a quick look at Castro's stats it looks like he's been getting better every year, minus that little hiccup in AAA last season. Does he have any history and/or concern for injury? I think he'd be a good get for Lawrie, because it really solidifies your rotation for 2012 and allows you to trade Fielder for position prospects. You'll probably get more for Fielder that way. It doesn't do much to improve the 2011 team, but it could be a really good move for the future.

Another name that interests me from the Padres is Tim Stauffer. Looks like he may have finally put it together, and he had success in the majors when he transitioned to a starter later in the year. He did just as well on the road as at home in pitcher-friendly Petco, if I'm reading his splits right he had a lower OPS-A as a starter than a reliever, and if Baseball Reference is correct he is arby eligible this off-season.

At the age of 28 he is hitting his peak years, and given his age and arby status he will definitely be a lot cheaper than Latos. He could very well be a surprise legit #2 kind of like C.J. Wilson was for the Rangers this year, transitioning from the bullpen to starter. Perhaps he could be had without having to give up Lawrie.

I just hope that we aren't getting in to a situation where Melvin knows that he only has 2 years left and decides to "go all in" with our farm system. While that is not his trade style, he is at the end of his rope right about now.
I really don't see Doug just trading away our whole farm system for pitching, but I could see him trading a guy like Lawrie if he has to. No matter what the situation, I don't see Doug trading away too many prospects just for the sake of doing it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived