Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers, who would you want?

Dnye23

Harang had 2 poor starts in April last year, back-to-back. Other than those, his 4.58 ERA fits right in with his 2008-2010 performance. Fangraphs also shows his velocity is the same, though it has dropped since his prime. He's not a 220 IP man anymore, but on a 1y/$5M deal, he's my favorite choice. He's also a big RHP, which is a known favorite of Doug.

AJ's contract makes him untradeable right now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't bother me that Francis is a lefty. The Brewers need starting pitchers, regardless of handedness.

Except that too many of the same type of pitcher is usually an advantage to the hitters. I'm not totally opposed to Francis but my first priority would be a 2nd RH.

The Brewers' problem has been that they have had too many of the same type of pitcher for a few years now: crappy pitchers.

I don't think it makes much of a difference if you have 2 or 3 LHPs in the rotation. 4 might be pushing it, I guess. The Brewers just need better quality starting pitching before they start worrying too much about which hands their pitchers pitch with.

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/449824897/SportsNutNew_normal.jpg howiemag

#Brewers fans, cue Ed McMahon. RT @nickcafardo #Milwaukee and #Washington out front in Carl Pavano sweepstakes

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HB BB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO
SEASON 17 11 3.75 32 32 7 2 0 0 221.0 227 95 92 24 6 37 117 .266 1.19 1.49
CAREER 97 89 4.34 258 240 14 7 0 0 1503.2 1629 786 725 168 74 377 956 .277 1.33 1.23

Career 500 pitcher with a 4.34 ERA. 34 years old. Doug, just say No.....please!

1.19 WHIP, outstanding k/bb. He had a very strong season. Only problem is the Twins have a much better defense than the Brewers. I like Pavano a lot, but he's not a good fit with this defense because he has a lot of balls in play.

Carl Pavano is one of the better FA RHP. To be honest, with his aversion to the BB, I would not have a problem with it at all. He's shown a proclivity to pitching in obscurity. I like it. I just hope Pavano doesn't expect "big city" money. Last year, Pavano was everything I always hoped for from Bush. That being said, I still hold out hope that DaBush will return. It was meant to be.

The only ones are would consider signing to a multi year deal would be De La Rosa & Garland even though he is a 5 time 12 game loser. I would take a 1 year deal on Freddy Garcia. Im torn on Bush. I have seen him have some great games plus he has the only post season win for the Crew since Reagan was in office,but he has had some awful games too.If I had to choose between Garcia & Bush, Garcia would get my vote. Would love to see Cappy back.

One year deals are all I am interested in for FA pitchers. We need to develop our own or trade for them.

If we sign Weeks to an extension, I'd use Lawrie as bait. I would love to see us get a Garza or Floyd type....younger talent with controlling years. It is unfortunate we didn't deal Prince at the deadline...if any of those possible deals were legit.

I'd be interested in taking a risk on Webb, but I just can't get past the fact that he was supposed to be back about 5 times last year and kept having setbacks- didn't throw one pitch. Sounds like a Teddy Higuera situation to me, so I'd stay away. I would take a flyer on Rich Harden though if the price was right, he was pretty brutal in Texas and left off the post season roster, so I'm thinking he really hurt his value. He also lost some velocity, but he just turned 29 and he still had a decent strikout rate. I'd be willing to take a gamble on him regaining his past form if the price was right. Maybe something like $2.5 million or so with incentives.

oops forgot about Vazquez.

As for Webb not being healthy last year....he wasn't healthy. Before last season he was a consistently dominant starter with #1 potential. Sure he's a gamble...but I'd rather gamble on a guy like Webb then a guy like Suppan, Davis, Wolf, etc etc. We don't need SP's with no upside. We need a SP that could potentially put us in the playoffs. So the risk is worth taking. It is utterly nauseating to see Melvin ONCE AGAIN trying to build a rotation the same way he always has....with low ceiling / cheap / inning eater type starters. Melvin is not a risk taker....you have to take some risks to compete in the playoffs. The biggest leap of faith you will ever see Melvin taking is 1 year deals with guys like Gagne. He was a fine GM to rebuild an organization....he is not a good fit for the Brewers any more. He needs to leave. We need a GM who knows how to take us to the next level. How long will it take Mark A to realize this?

It's not uncommon for great SP's to have an off year to due injuries then bounce back. Webb has been as consistent as they come prior to the injuries. Unless his injuries are devastating we need this guy.

What really drives me nuts..... the teams reportedly making a strong move to acquire Webb: Cubs, Cardinals, Rangers, Reds, Nationals, and of course Arizona.

If Arizona wants to keep the guy that should tell you all you need to know.

Why are we not trying to get this guy? It's unbelievable. He's kept his era under 3.5 most of his career. This is EXACTLY the player we NEED.

Besides my affinity for Capuano, I'd like to have Webb and Harden on our side. What's the latest on Ben Sheets? Was he even going to be ready for spring training?

After doing a little looking, I forgot he blew out the flexor tendon again in his elbow. So, I suppose he's a no-go for all of 2011.

I'd also like Pavano on a short-term deal.

Before last season he was a consistently dominant starter with #1 potential.
Webb was clearly a #1 starter when healthy. He was one of the best pitchers in MLB. Forget "potential."
It is utterly nauseating to see Melvin ONCE AGAIN trying to build a

rotation the same way he always has....with low ceiling / cheap / inning

eater type starters.

Please explain how his moves in this offseason fit this description. If you're talking about Marcum, he appears to be much better than anyone the Brewers have had in the last many years not named CC, Ben, or Yovani. You're obviously comparing him to Looper or Suppan (who wasn't cheap), and if this is the case, you are the only one.

Melvin is not a risk taker....you have to take some risks to compete in the playoffs.
Methinks you severely underestimate how difficult it is for a team a market like Milwaukee to take big risks, even if they want to.

Archived