Brewer Fanatic

Free Agent Starting Pitchers, who would you want?

Dnye23

So again it looks like there is one open spot on the brewers starting rotation (maybe 2). Of the list of free agents, realistically who would you want?

Free Agent Starting Pitchers

I'm taking out the obvious choice, so I'd like to see Pavano as our 2-3 guy. If we re-sign Bush, I'd be happy with getting Bedard.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love Kuroda myself, but the Dodgers are reportedly closing in on a 1 year $12 deal for him.

Webb is a guy I think is worth the gamble.

Penny is another guy that I'd be looking at. He's reportedly recovered and if he is, he's at least a solid #3 starter plus he's righthanded which is my preference. Garland is another good option but coming off his solid year, he may not be the bargain he was last year.

The problem with the Brewers though is that they are putting their eggs in the trade basket this offseason as far as addressing the need for a top starter. If they fail to land one via trade, their may be just scraps left in FA and that could lead to spending money on 4th and 5th starter types to fill the rotation. If that happens, that's a bad sign.

Ben Sheets.

Seriously, none of the above due to talent/cost/injury risk. I'd rather take a flyer on Rick Harden (who isn't on there and is available unless I'm missing something) as a #4 who should be relatively cheap with upside (even though his velocity was down last year, he's still young). Though he was pretty brutal last season, he made it through pretty much unscathed. Mortgage the farm system for Greinke, resign Capuano, and you have the following rotation:

Greinke

Gallardo

Wolf

Harden

Capuano

with Narveson, Parra, etc. to step in if necessary.

I'm inclined to go with RockCo's assessment. The FA pitching market looks really bleak. These "high upside injury guys" just don't work out very much. Webb and Harden certainly sound enticing, but you have to figure there will be a lot of interest and I don't want to see Melvin get into a bidding war for those types.

Trade market or bust, IMHO. If some combination of Fielder/Weeks/Lawrie/Gamel/McGehee/prospects can't improve the pitching staff, I'd rather see the team stand pat and punt 2011 then mortgage the future by wasting money on questionable free agents (assuming they require a multi-year deal) or selling the farm for a Zach Greinke type, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Javier Vazquez is the name that I would be jumping for joy over. He always seems to do well in lower profile situations.

Along with that I would like to see a Chris Young, Bonderman, Webb, francis, or Bedard. Off the top of my head I don't even know what order I would put them in but I'd be fine with any of them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd say no to anyone that isn't named Cliff Lee and is on the Type A FA list (Pavano, De La Rosa, etc..).

These "high upside injury guys" just don't work out very much.

True, but I wish the Brewers took more shots at least. When they do turn out, these are the players you want to turn into extra draft picks in the next FA season.

I campaign for Javier Vazquez every year. The guy has been remarkably consistent (and healthy) throughout his career. The long ball has always been his biggest problem, but he limits baserunners, doesn't walk many and strikes out a batter an inning. Plus, since his time in Montreal, it seems as though that he has been better in odd numbered years, meaning he's due in 2011. If the Brewers fail to obtain a bigger name starter, either in FA or via trade, I would make Vazquez my primary target, and I might pursue him regardless.

Jon Garland would be my second target, as he too has been pretty reliable/consistent, although allows more baserunners and strikes out fewer batters than Vazquez.

Vazquez lost more than 2 MHP off his fastball last season and will finish next season as a 35-year old. Unless the Brewers go all-in next season by keeping Fielder and adding another big-time pitcher, I don't think Vazquez is a guy they should gamble on, unless it's a cheap contract.

Bedard isn't going to get much or any guaranteed money, so I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers take a flyer on him either, I guess.

For sure:

Lee

Vazquez

Capuano

Maybe:

Bedard

Garland

A word on Capuano before you laugh yourself silly at the suggestion: I think Cappy's a perfect fit. Depth matters a ton. And realistically, we're going to need a 6th starter (and quite possibly a 7th, 8th, maybe even 9th or 10th starter), and if Capuano's on the team as long-guy, spot-starter, and injury-replacement 5th starter, you've already got a proven guy here, and not just purely young guys in the 'pen. And if Narveson bombs, Capuano becomes your #5 and you don't lose anything -- and you may even be better off.

I saw the comments earlier that Attanasio sees Narveson as a keeper, and I agree. But I think you cover all bases better by creating good competition for the #5 starter spot, too. Personally, I'd rather see Cappy as the #5 than Narveson (nearly 2 years off after TJ surgery #2, and he still clearly pitched better than Narveson). But I want them both on the team.

I would take a look at....DAVE BUSH! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Love Bush!

Also:

Javier Vazquez

Brandon Webb

Aaron Harang

Rich Harden

Brad Penny

Ben Sheets

....Mark Prior

I don't see how we need another lefty considering we already have two definitely penciled in, and our ace is a RHP. Nevertheless, all of these pitchers would come relatively cheap (or extremely cheap in the case of Big Ben/Prior). I doubt either Ben or the former Trojan ace would ever come here, but you don't know unless you try. Harang has shown that he can be an absolute workhorse (at least until Dusty brought him in vs. us in the 10th inning a few years ago). Vazquez, as mentioned earlier, has a history of doing very well in smaller markets but bombing in big markets. Harden/Penny have shown flashes of dominance, but also have done their best impression of "Ben Hendrickson vs. the Twins". As for the trade market, what about AJ Burnett?

Archived