Brewer Fanatic

Gomez to the Marlins?

nate82
With the Marlins trading Maybin to the Padres. I was thinking that trading Gomez to the Marlins for Sanchez maybe a possibility. I believe the Brewers would have to add someone else into the mix if they were to get Sanchez in return and maybe not. Maybe something like Villanueva/Coffey and Gomez for Sanchez could be a possibility. Though I think the Brewers would have to add in something more than Villanueva/Coffey maybe someone like Butler.

Gomez is still defining his game. The guy could have the light come on quickly and become Hanley, v. 2.0. Also, with Roenicke's recent statement that he wants to put more pressure on the defense with the team's speed, I don't see them trading our fastest player.

Gomez is still defining his game. The guy could have the light come on quickly and become Hanley, v. 2.0.

There's just nothing about Gomez that warrants a comparison to Ramirez. At age 22 Ramirez was already a strong hitter for his position. Gomez is entering his age-25 season & hasn't hit for squat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There's just nothing about Gomez that warrants a comparison to Ramirez. At age 22 Ramirez was already a strong hitter for his position. Gomez is entering his age-25 season & hasn't hit for squat.
He's 25, we better just give up on him. I believe comparing him to Ramirez is a mistake, but he's still a young kid with a lot of time to develop. Think that he could be really good in the right system, but I think Lorenzo Cain should get a lot more of the playing time.

The Marlins have an internal options in Scott Cousins to fill in CF, although I could see the Marlins interested in Gomez. As noted already, I could also see them interested in McGehee, so there could be a package deal to be had, particularly should Nolasco's negotiations get more difficult. In dealing the players they have so quickly so far this offseason, I think it's clear the Marlins are cutting some fat as well as some cash. I don't think McGehee and Gomez alone get a deal like that done, but I do see where a match could be made.

Coughlan may move to 3B by default with the emergence of Logan Morrison. They have 2 pretty good, young LFs, even if Coughlan didn't have as good of a year (assuming Bonifacio becomes the everyday 2B with Uggla going to Atlanta).

If Gomez thinks he should be starting I think he is more trouble than he is worth. If he accepts a backup role and we have a manager smart enough to leave him in a backup role, he could be very useful. On the other hand, I believe his production could easily be replaced by any number of guys. Get a guy like Dickerson who hits from the right side. We seem to be able to find decent outfielders cheap every year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

regarding the Marlins.... IMHO 2B/3B will be some combination of Infante & Coghlan......and CF looks like its Bonifacio job to lose

Gomez? as a Braves (and Brewers) fan I'd like to see Gomez in the ATL......the Braves need a CF with Gomez' arm & speed to man that huge CF at Turner field....maybe an offer of 23 year old LHP Scott Diamond (8-7 3.46 at AAA & AA, actually finished strong in AAA) and 22 year old RHP JJ Hoover (14-7 3.29 at AA & high-A) ....Hoover is the more highly regarded & both will be in the organizations top 30 by Baseball America

Gomez? as a Braves (and Brewers) fan I'd like to see Gomez in the ATL......the Braves need a CF with Gomez' arm & speed to man that huge CF at Turner field....maybe an offer of 23 year old LHP Scott Diamond (8-7 3.46 at AAA & AA, actually finished strong in AAA) and 22 year old RHP JJ Hoover (14-7 3.29 at AA & high-A) ....Hoover is the more highly regarded & both will be in the organizations top 30 by Baseball America
If the Braves actually offered that to the Brewers, I would guess Melvin would have the trade papers signed before he hung up the phone.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

IIRC Cabrera made about $3mm last season & was eligible for arbitration.....

besides being grossly overpaid, the Melk-man was grossly overweight last year ....his defense was poor, he had no power, poor OBP, etc, etc...basically he sucked ...just a huge disappointment

The thing is that Melky was really good in '09, then just fell off the map last season. Apparent conditioning issues.

No he really wasn't. He had a spectacular April (.971 OPS) which made people think he was really good all year long since it took the rest of the season for him to regress to being about average. For Melky that's good, but that's on a curve.

Didn't mean to come down harsh, its just that it one of those things I've seen lots of places about how good Cabrera was in 2009 and how the Brewers should have definitely pulled the Cameron for Cabrera swap. About the only good that would have done is kept us from having Gomez on the team.

Remember when Doug almost traded Cameron for Melky? That was gross.

That proposal never reached almost status. There's enough stuff that Melvin has done that we can complain about, there's no reason to make up stuff.

Melvin explored trading Cameron to the Yankees, with Melky as a fill-in until Cain would be ready, and he wanted a young pitcher from the Yankees in exchange. Cashman wasn't willing to do that, so the conversation stopped.

I remember hearing that the Yankees would have been willing to include Kei Igawa, which would have been lousy for the Brewers. There were also those reports that said the Brewers would have had to eat most of Cameron's salary, which would have been ridiculous.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Yankees are used to having other teams give them contracts they want to get rid of. In some of these cases, the teams are willing to send away one of their players and pay the Yankees to take a portion of the contract. The Yankees would have been happy to take Cameron, but misunderstood the Brewers intentions. They thought the Brewers were dumping Cameron, and reacted accordingly. That's why they started with asking the Brewers to pay part of the Cameron contract, and then countered by asking the Brewers to take Igawa.

Archived