Brewer Fanatic

Test Came In (Benoit Toxicology)

radman12484

Pretty inconclusive. I guess we'll never really know all of what happened and why he killed his wife, son, and then himself.

It's still a numbing tragedy.

For what its worth, they've lost me as a viewer. I never bought any of the pay-per-views, but Monday Night Raw was pretty much a staple for me the past 9 years or so. My wrestling fandom goes back to 1969 with All Star Wrestling at the Milwaukee Auditorium. I left in in the mid-70s, and then picked it up again during the heyday of the 80s, and left it during the Yokozuna days. I picked it up again in the late 90s, and was a regular viewer, but this Benoit thing was just too tragic, and I can't watch any more. Maybe time will pass, and I'll click on it just to see what's happening--but for now, I'm done.

I'm really bothered by the WWE's absurd claims about their wellness program and the effectiveness of their drug testing. All you have to do is look at their roster and if's clear that those guys are not clean. Batista, Johnny Nitro, Chris Masters, Lashley, Edge, Orton, Triple H, Flair, Snitsky--maybe they're finding a way around the tests, but I'm not buying that they're clean.

Plus, their bizarre statements saying there's no way that steroids were what triggered Benoit's actions--that it was too premeditated. . .why speculate at all on something that you can't possibly prove--while the police investigation is still going on? That's pretty irresponsible for business leaders to make those claims.

Anyway--I'm done with wrestling.

Looks like for all the play the media gave this as a 'roid-rage induced killing spree' and such, no steroids were found in his system.

I guess the media outlets will have to correct themselves and acknowledge that he might just have been nuts, but they won't.

Benoit's body contained 10 times the normal level of testosterone, as well as amounts of the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, authorities said.

The testosterone, a synthetic version of the primary male sex hormone, is considered an anabolic steroid. The state's top medical examiner said it appeared to have been injected shortly before Benoit died.

There's some really strange reporting going on here. Directly from the CNN.com story:

Chris Benoit's body contained an "elevated" level of testosterone and therapeutic levels of Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, Sperry said.

But, he said, the level of testosterone revealed nothing conclusive about the wrestler's state of mind before his death.

"There's no reliable scientific data that says elevated levels of testosterone lead to psychotic rage," Sperry said. "The only thing we can ascertain is that this level of testosterone indicates that he had been using testosterone at least in some reasonably short period of time before he died," he said. "It could be an indication he was being treated for testicular insufficiency."

The investigators found no other drugs, including steroids, in Benoit's body.

ESPN's article:

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit had a steroid and other drugs in his system when he killed his wife and young son last month and hanged himself in the family's home, investigators said Tuesday.

Benoit's body contained 10 times the normal level of testosterone, as well as amounts of the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, authorities said.

Those two articles seem incredibly contradictory, or at least the tone in which they were reported was practically the opposite.

Archived