Brewer Fanatic

Net ERA for Pitchers

AJOHNSON104
The Gallardo Silver Slugger award got me thinking about what effect the batting performance of pitchers has on the team. We all know the Brewer starting pitching was poor, but Wolf, Narveson, and Gallardo in particular were pretty good with the bat. Has anyone done a statistic analysis of the gain a pitcher provides, and in effect create a Net ERA. For example if Narveson has a 4.5 ERA but provides the equivalent of .25 runs per game, his Net ERA would be 4.25. He thus would be a better Net pitcher than one with a 4.4 era but who only provides .1 runs per game or 4.3 Net ERA. If we then did the same analysis for the whole staff and across the league, the Brewers had to actually move up a few notches in net ERA. Make sense, or am I just watching too much Fringe?

baseball-reference.com has "batting runs", which is basically the equivalent. Gallardo had 1.9 batting runs this season, so that's about .08 of ERA for him.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Brewers were 9th in the NL in xFIP. The combination of poor defense and a slight hitters park accounts for more of the bad pitching than anything else. They were a relatively average staff overall, slightly below average but not nearly as bad as people want to make them out to be.

Gallardo had 1.9 batting runs this season, so that's about .08 of ERA for him.

How does one arrive at that calculation, i.e. batting runs needing to be divided by two? Can the same be done with a stat that's been deemed to be more accurate than ERA?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

baseball-reference.com has "batting runs", which is basically the equivalent. Gallardo had 1.9 batting runs this season, so that's about .08 of ERA for him.
That seems incredibly low. Is that batting runs above average position player? If we determine pitcher batting value as runs above an average pitcher, Gallardo is probably 6-8 runs better. An 8 run reduction in earned runs would drop his ERA to 3.45 from 3.85.

It's not huge, but having pitchers like Gallardo certainly does provide value. I wonder pitcher batting ability is in any way, shape or form priced into contracts.

Is "batting runs" the same as "runs batting"? Quoth Baseball-Reference:

Runs Batting

Number of runs better or worse than average the player was as a hitter.

For some years it will include factors for inducing reached on error and avoiding double plays.

Developed by Sean Smith of BaseballProjection.com

On Yo's BR page, it says his "Runs Batting" is 2 (rather than 1.9). It's not that the difference is huge, but it makes me wonder if I'm looking in the right place. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Could you use wRC (runs created)? Yo created 10.7 runs on offense in 185 IP. His FIP was 3.02 meaning he should have given up 62 runs this season. Subtract 10.7, and his Net FIP goes to 2.52.

Of course, I just made this up and it would probably make Dave Cameron's brain bleed, but its worth a shot.

It's on his batting page,under advanced batting....

Adjusted Batting Runs: A set of formulas that estimates a player's total contributions to a team's runs total via linear weights.
How I got from 1.9 to 0.08 was by simply converting runs to ERA. Looks like I flubbed, and it should've been 0.09.

Saying Yo's bat was worth half a run a start seems... well... way, way too high, imo.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived