Brewer Fanatic

Anyone else get the feeling Peterson wont be back with the Brewers?

BREWCREW5
He stated today that he had not heard from the Brewers yet. My guess, is that he will not be back. Sedar is coming back, Dale S. is coming back. Ron has to have someone he wants to be the pitching coach. If he wanted Peterson, he would have said so already.

It would seem weird to organizationally jump whole-hog into the "Peterson Way" as part of the effort to improve long term pitching results, then ditch it the next year...stranger things have happened though. If he is gone, I will not miss watching him jog to and from the mound, nor will I miss the hand on the shoulder bit.

It would seem weird to organizationally jump whole-hog into the "Peterson Way" as part of the effort to improve long term pitching results, then ditch it the next year...stranger things have happened though. If he is gone, I will not miss watching him jog to and from the mound, nor will I miss the hand on the shoulder bit.

Pretty much this. It would be really stupid to implement Peterson Pitching from top to bottom and throw it away after only one year because the new manager wants his own pitching coach.

I don't think the organizational philosophy will be changed in the least if he isn't retained. They planned on implementing it before they hired Peterson which was why Peterson was so interested in being here not the the way around.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Roenicke is obviously not in love with Rick, or he wouldn't be talking to others. That said, Rick will be paid next year and has a mindset to set up throughout the system, so he's not losing sleep over it. Ron probably has a guy or two in mind that he has worked with or knows that he wants to chat with. I've run retail stores in the past, and it's always awkward to inherit a management staff, because you don't know if you'll like 'em, hate 'em, or in between. If given the opportunity to bring in people I knew and trusted, I would not have hesitated, so it's tempting.

I think it will be somewhat of a shame if Peterson is gone. I think he did some good things, despite the poor overall pitching results last year. Can't blame him for Suppan starting in the rotation or Hoffman's meltdown at the start of the season, etc.

I have to think maybe Roenicke doesn't agree with some of his philosophies or something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think as a manager I would be more worried about having a pitching coach I can trust more than any other coach. He is probably the guy that you would need to consult with the most during a game. Evaluating pitchers on the fly seems like the trickiest thing during a game. Knowing a relief pitcher is off quickly could help.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I've felt all along having Peterson back would be the right move, and everything pointing that he might not be back has made me nervous. But I've had two new hunches/interpretations hit me in the past hour:

1. Everything we've heard about Roenicke leads me to think that if Peterson wasn't an option at all for Roenicke, he would've just been let go immediately. The fact that that hasn't happened means Peterson must still be a legit candidate.

2. I first thought Melvin's "feel free to look around, too" thing to Peterson was basically Melvin holding the door open and waiting for Peterson to walk out. Now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking it's Melvin saying to Peterson, "Hey, beyond Dale, we've given Roenicke freedom to choose his coaches and that. We've told him we would like to keep you on the staff and that, but that the choice is his. If we're going to give him that freedom, we'll give you the same degree of freedom because it's only fair that that be a two-way street and that."

If he goes I will miss his tight pants and wearing a jacket in 90 degree weather.

But on a serious note, I liked the guy. Like is theories on pitching and think as the season went the staff got better and started to take to Rick's way of coaching. We'll see what happens. I to believe if Ron didn't want him at all he would have already been let go.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Community Moderator

I mentioned this in the RR thread, but I think it's important to reiterate that a new pitching coach would be the Brewers' 4th pitching coach in 4 years. The Brewers are already not known as an organization that excels at pitching, and I think it looks even worse to cycle through a new pitching coach every year.

Then again, if they are really going to commit to a new philosophy as an organization, then it might be better to have a coach that shares RR's ideas. I do not know what those ideas actually are though.

Being a great, good, or mediocre player has nothing to do with one's skills as a coach.
Point taken, we've seen that with Rod Carew and Dave Stewart. That said, do you really want an unproven guy to be the fourth pitching coach in four years? Pitching coaches have a huge influence in my view, and it's kind of like the NFL teams changing coordinators every year.

Letting Maddux go over money is one of the unsung blunders in Brewers history in my opinion.

Oh, I'm not saying I want the Brewers to hire yet another pitching coach. I'd like to see Peterson stay. I think the staff made good progress throughout the season and I like his philosophy. Plus, changing things again makes me nervous. Just commenting on the mediocre thing.

Archived