Brewer Fanatic

Washburn looking for a deal with the Crew?

At this point he's strictly a #4-5 type but I like him better than the Doug Davis acquisition last year. Obviously not the front end of the rotation guy they need but with Bush, Parra, Cappy, Davis all likely out, there will be backend holes to fill as well.

From MLB TR:

Veteran lefty Jarrod Washburn sat out the 2010 season, but he told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports he's undecided on 2011. Noting that he's been contacted by a couple of teams this week, Washburn explained, "I will not say I am 100 percent retired because a great opportunity might present itself."

Morosi adds that a great opportunity translates as close to Washburn's Wisconsin home. The Brewers or Twins might be his top choices, and both teams should be in the hunt for starting pitching. One point in Milwaukee's favor is their hiring of Ron Roenicke, who worked with Washburn during his Angels days.

Washburn, 36, is a candidate to provide 175 innings of 4.50 ball in 2011. His asking price is an unknown; he's represented by Scott Boras.

I'm not sold on this idea for now. Ideally, I'd like to see a rotation with 3 RH and 2 LH. If they wanted to go with a third lefty, ok, maybe. But in that case who would you like, Washburn or Capuano? Then there's always Parra, though barring a deal, I think he starts in the pen. Their priority should be finding at least one, and more likely 2 RH starters.

If you didn't have to pay him so much that he's assured of a job, then ok, he's worth a look. But otherwise, no. They made a mistake signing Davis last year. No reason to repeat that one even though I do like Washburn more. Check out the RH starters first.

I don't see how he's being looked at as a serious option. At least I sure hope Doug Melvin isn't looking at him as a serious option. He's 36, not very good anymore, and didn't pitch all of last year. He passed on a $5 million contract supposedly last season, holding out for a multi-year deal (don't forget who his agent is!).

I think bringing back Capuano on the cheap would be a much better option than signing Washburn at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I actually coached with Washburn during the summer. I helped coach his kid (3rd and 4th graders)

He was lobbing pitches to them giving them sort of batting practice and fielding practice and his son was getting full of himself. So Jarrod threw him a little baby curve ball. That thing would of probably struck me out. It was pretty funny.

Sorry to get off topic.

if he can do 175 innings and a 4.50 ERA that's decent enough for a #5 starter isn't it??
Narveson will likely do at least that as a 5th starter for around $550,000 and he'll get you some big hits too. I think the Brewers have the 5th spot covered. It's the 2 and the 4 spots that need filling.

If Washburn's still the guy he was in Seattle for 20 starts in 09 when he put up an ERA of 2.64, and you believe his troubles in Detroit were all injury related, and after a year off he can pick up where he was, then he's more like a 3rd starter and could be a relative bargain. That's a lot of iffs though.

Keep in mind too, that his career WHIP of 1.30 is better than any Brewer starter posted in 2010, and far, far better than Doug Davis. Plus all his numbers were done in the AL. While I'd explore other options first, I wouldn't rule him out for the right price.

• 2 weeks later...
if he can do 175 innings and a 4.50 ERA that's decent enough for a #5 starter isn't it??
Narveson will likely do at least that as a 5th starter for around $550,000 and he'll get you some big hits too. I think the Brewers have the 5th spot covered. It's the 2 and the 4 spots that need filling.

If Washburn's still the guy he was in Seattle for 20 starts in 09 when he put up an ERA of 2.64, and you believe his troubles in Detroit were all injury related, and after a year off he can pick up where he was, then he's more like a 3rd starter and could be a relative bargain. That's a lot of iffs though.

Keep in mind too, that his career WHIP of 1.30 is better than any Brewer starter posted in 2010, and far, far better than Doug Davis. Plus all his numbers were done in the AL. While I'd explore other options first, I wouldn't rule him out for the right price.

I remember reading a scouting report where Washburn made a mechanical tweak to his delivery during the season in Seattle and attributed his success to that. Looking at the PitchFX data and his secondary stats, it seems more likely that he was just aided by a low BABIP and nice LOB%. There is definitely some value there over replacement, but as others have said NarvDog already provides this. On top of that, we have young guys in AAA now who I expect to step up and pitch above replacement level if they are needed due to injury.

I doubt we compete for the playoffs next year, so I'd rather fill the fourth spot in the rotation with a guy like Washburn for one year than sign a Pavano/Correija for something like 3/30. That savings will be needed and we might have some homegrown starters ready for the entire 2012 season.

As an aside, I believe the Twins offered Washburn five million to start for them last year but he turned it down. What did Pavano get from Minnesota last year? I bring this up because A) lots of people like the idea of us adding Pavano and B) lots of people think the Twins are smart about their starting pitching decisions.

So Minnesota last year had thought Pavano was smart to keep for seven million over a year and thought Washburn was smart to add for for a year at five million a year. And Minnesota is supposed to be shrewd at handling their money, being competitive, and have a strong rotation...............................

My point is that, if you take into consideration the fact that I doubt we can be a playoff team next year, why not just add Washburn for one year to fill the four spot rather than pay a guy Wolf's contract to fill that spot. If we get lucky and things go right for us, we buy a pitcher for the second half.

The Brewers CAN compete next season if they add a pitcher to compliment Gallardo and add another middle of the rotation starter. That is a lot to get in one off-season, but not impossible. Also, it sounds like Mark A and Doug Melvin think the Brewers can compete next season and so because of that I don't expect them to sit on there butts and not make a splash. The Brewers will spend money and they will make trades and I highly doubt they will settle for just Washburn or Pavano. They are in all likelihood thinking bigger. The Brewers would be wise to inquire on Washburn and Pavano to add pitching depth to this team.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

While I'd prefer a righthander, I don't quite get all the negativity about Washburn. While a year off might affect him, it might not and it might actually help him.

The fact is Washburn, pitching exclusively in the AL, has not posted an ERA above 4.67 since 1999. For his career, he's allowed fewer hits than innings pitched. He's got 107 career wins. This isn't Doug Davis we're talking about who allows baserunners all over the place or Manny Parra who gives up about 12 hits every 9 innings. This is an accomplished major league starter.

He'd essentially be replacing Bush as a number 4. Bush was paid over $4 million last year. I'll take Washburn over Bush any day as long as the price is reasonable enough that if he fails and has to be replaced by say Rogers, they won't think twice about pulling the plug.

I really don't see any reason to expect Washburn to be significantly better than Davis or Bush at this point in his career. He kills lefties and is mediocre vs righties and as he gets older the righties are going to hurt him more and more. He has played his entire career in pitcher parks in a division that is known for being pitcher friendly which easily offsets the AL thing. Stick him in Miller Park with the Brewers fielding behind him and I'd expect that 4.86 xFIP much more often than the 4.10 ERA.

While I'd prefer a righthander, I don't quite get all the negativity about Washburn. While a year off might affect him, it might not and it might actually help him.

The fact is Washburn, pitching exclusively in the AL, has not posted an ERA above 4.67 since 1999. For his career, he's allowed fewer hits than innings pitched. He's got 107 career wins. This isn't Doug Davis we're talking about who allows baserunners all over the place or Manny Parra who gives up about 12 hits every 9 innings. This is an accomplished major league starter.

He'd essentially be replacing Bush as a number 4. Bush was paid over $4 million last year. I'll take Washburn over Bush any day as long as the price is reasonable enough that if he fails and has to be replaced by say Rogers, they won't think twice about pulling the plug.

I'd rather eat a can of Alpo cold than basically slot Washburn as the #4. If he wants to come to camp as a NRI, and compete to make the team for a relatively modest salary, I'll give him that chance. If Melvin gives a guy like Washburn a Doug Davis type deal, I'll bang my head against the wall. Let's face it, the guy is old, wasn't more than a solid #3, 10 years ago at his peak, is coming off a rather severe knee injury (which often leads to arm injuries for pitchers), as others have said- has pitched almost exclusively in pitcher's parks within a pitcher's division, and most importantly won't have pitched for well over a year. The only way that I'd even consider giving Washburn a 1 year/$4 million deal would to be as a bone to toss Boras for agreeing to a reasonable contract extension for Fielder (if Washburn hasn't fired him).

Archived