Brewer Fanatic

RIP Sparky Anderson

DatHoser

That's really too bad. I hadn't heard much about him in several years. Wonder if he had been having problems for a while or what. RIP Sparky.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

He always looked older than he was. He was a very young manager with the Reds in the 1970's.

He had a very odd career as a player. He was a Dodger farmhand, got traded to the Phillies and played the entire 1959 season as the Phils regular 2nd baseman. After 1959, he never played in the majors again.

He will be missed, great baseball personality, toughest thing about coaching the Big Red Machine he was asked?

Toughest was to keep saying "Way to go Johnny, Tony, David, Pete, and Joe." First manager to win a world series
in both leagues. Was sent to hospice, suffered from dementia.

Maybe my favorite manager after Earl Weaver. Heard him interviewed several times over the years. Always came across as a genuine, energetic smart baseball man with a folksy charm.

I didn't realize he was ill. RIP Sparky. You led one of my favorite teams of all time, the 1984 Tigers. Thank you.

I remember him taking time to come over and sign autographs at County Stadium when I was a kid. Not that it's too unusual, but I still remember it today because he went out of his way to smile and be completely friendly with a group of annoying kids.

Back in the day in Dayton, when Mrs. and I were young with a new family, we were Red's fans. We got to enjoy the "Big Red Machine." Of course, it was not hard to like such good baseball. Later, Mrs. Lapril loved his work at Detroit, she and her Dad were great fans, being from northern Ohio (the family had a Cleveland/Detroit mason-Dixon line).

I always liked this guy, thought he was an excellent manager, and a fun guy to watch. First two son's had their first games in Cincinnati.

RIP Sparky, thanks for the fun!

I remember him taking time to come over and sign autographs at County Stadium when I was a kid. Not that it's too unusual, but I still remember it today because he went out of his way to smile and be completely friendly with a group of annoying kids.

Nicely said, great memories about a great manager----who did not have to do that stuff,

but did, because he understood what it meant to be in the major leagues. Years later
you still have a great memory of Sparky.

Just saw a picture of Sparky smoking a pipe in uniform on the bench, pretty cool. You wouldn't see that these days for sure. I also remember reading how he used to mix red man tobacco and bubble gum. Old school for sure.

I may have to dig my copy of his autobiography out and read it. I remember it being a entertaining and very interesting read.

Archived