Brewer Fanatic

Ron Roenicke Hired as Manager

trwi7
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, I love the new signature And That. I laughed really hard when he said that. I was impressed with Roenicke during his press conference. I am really excited to see an aggressive Brewers team next year although I'm sure the first game we have multiple caught stealings I'll turn. He seems like a really good guy though and is well prepared to manage a clubhouse.

bullox]

It's not ok to form an opinion of someone from hearing them talk?
Form an opinion of their ability to talk? Sure.
I am lost with the logic on this one... by listening to someone talk, I am only be able to form an opinion on their ability to verbalize words? I can not draw any conclusions about them from their words which they use to describe themselves and their thoughts and feelings on particular issues when they talk?

Actions speak louder than words. It sounds like we have an aggressive manager who will run a lot. Just how aggressive is to be determined.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

He sounds a lot like Yost, only older. I'm curious as to how he'll do. I think he could be quite successful, while constantly being ridiculed by Brewerfan.net posters that hate playing for 1 run in close games.

And That wrote:
I am lost with the logic on this one... by listening to someone talk, I am only be able to form an opinion on their ability to verbalize words? I can not draw any conclusions about them from their words which they use to describe themselves and their thoughts and feelings on particular issues when they talk?
Form whatever you want. I'm going to actually wait until he does what he's paid to do, which is manage a baseball team. A baseball team that isn't anywhere near set in stone. Argue with a premise all you want, I think you get the point.

Is he paid to speak? Sure. After all is said and done, are we going to judge him for his speech or what happens on the field?

Not totally surprised over RR's hire as manager. Mark Attamasio obviously liked him, had the final one-on-one interview with him, plus

being a west coast guy and former Dodgers player, he had it made. Not sure RR was Doug's first choice. Bobby Valentine? Again, the ex-Dodgers
factor came into play. Peterson is not a given as pitching coach, according to an interview with Belling today. That is news. His brother Gary is in.
Now, with the money saved by not signing Valentine, get some pitching, will ya?
Good hire, not a retread, I like his aggressive base running attitude! Make things happen with the bottom
of the line up. Good Manager hire, Done, CF-Done, 2b-Done, Catcher-Done, SS-? team is looking good.

Argue with a premise all you want, I think you get the point.

I don't even know what premise you're referring to, or what your point is. I'm just glad I can form an opinion again. Whew.

After all is said and done, are we going to judge him for his speech or what happens on the field?

I'm not talking about judging him right now, I'm talking about forming an opinion about him right now. I'm still not sure why opinions are being frowned upon.

I don't believe anyone has said "he's going to be a terrible manager." If you can correct me on that, please do. I believe most people who aren't head over heels about the hire have the opinion that he appears to be a really intelligent guy who seems to want to be more aggressive than may be helpful, but are waiting to see what happens.

That's my opinion.

Not totally surprised over RR's hire as manager. Mark Attamasio obviously liked him, had the final one-on-one interview with him, plus
being a west coast guy and former Dodgers player, he had it made. Not sure RR was Doug's first choice. Bobby Valentine? Again, the ex-Dodgers
factor came into play. Peterson is not a given as pitching coach, according to an interview with Belling today. That is news. His brother Gary is in.
Now, with the money saved by not signing Valentine, get some pitching, will ya?
Good hire, not a retread, I like his aggressive base running attitude! Make things happen with the bottom
of the line up. Good Manager hire, Done, CF-Done, 2b-Done, Catcher-Done, SS-? team is looking good.

What's wrong with Escobar at SS? And his brother Gary was an outfielder, why would he be in as pitching coach?
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

He sounds a lot like Yost, only older.
Actually, Roenicke (born 8/19/1956) is exactly one year younger than Yost (8/19/1955).
yes Hawing, but the Yost we knew as manager was younger. Both were the darkhorse candidates.

Is it a fact or a rumor that Gary Roenicke is being brought in as part of the staff? If so, I'm not a fan of that, as I hate nepotism - mostly from personal experience in the workplace, but also from enduring Chris Bando's stint as 3rd Base coach in the mid-90's.

Not totally surprised over RR's hire as manager. Mark Attamasio obviously liked him, had the final one-on-one interview with him, plus being a west coast guy and former Dodgers player, he had it made. Not sure RR was Doug's first choice.

I really doubt Roenicke's two and a half seasons as a Dodger in the early '80s had anything to do with hire as Brewers manager.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's not too hard to get nervous when your new manager claims that part of the value of attempting a steal is that it results in improved defense and offense. If he uses that as part of his decision making process for anything more than a tiebreaker, he's going to overvalue a stolen base attempt.

And yes, when he says that he wants to be more aggressive than one of the most aggressive managers, that makes me nervous as well. That's not to say I know it won't work out, though. You can be smart and aggressive. I just don't know if he's looking at it right, though. They are going to score "a lot" more runs being aggressive?

I'm glad he sounds like a manager and he expresses a desire to connect personally with his players. That certainly can't hurt but I'm skeptical that kind of stuff translates into more wins for the club. Braun and Fielder would have performed better had they been buddy-buddy with Macha? I'm not going to assume that.

And That wrote:

It's not ok to form an opinion of someone from hearing them talk?
Form an opinion of their ability to talk? Sure.

So I can't use your posts to form an opinion on how you think about baseball? I can't react to them by agreeing or disagreeing with what you type?

I can only read them to determine how well you can or can't use a computer and the internet?

That seems fairly ridiculous to me, otherwise we might as well just shut this place down.

This could turn into that old "do strikeouts matter" thread. It is another subject where we could have endless debate between the diehard Sabermetric devotees and the oldschool, more affective baseball strategists. Personally, I hate making outs on the bases but I think we need to be more aggressive than what we have been. In my opinion we don't do a good enough job at getting runners from first to third. I don't know which camp that puts me in. I do want issue one caution. New managers always say that they are going to be real aggressive on the bases. They also like to talk about hitting-and-running. That usually lasts about a month. It is kind of like when Bo Ryan said he was going to bring fast break basketball to the Badgers (granted, they do break more than when Dick was coaching). I expect to see more aggressive base running, more steals, and more bunts this year. I expect to see more outs on the bases. I also suspect that those things will happen in smaller quantitites than what even Roenicke expects. They say that he is a smart man. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and expect to him settle into a style that works for the Brewers, even if it means deviating from his stated preferences.

Having a sabermetric viewpoint on this topic doesn't mean I can't think Macha was too conservative on the basepaths the last couple of years (I don't actually know). It's entirely possible that the Brewers could have scored more runs and won more games being more aggressive. I'm just conserned about the possibility of the pendelum swinging too far in the other direction. It's apparent that others share my concern.

I do want issue one caution. New managers always say that they are going to be real aggressive on the bases. They also like to talk about hitting-and-running. That usually lasts about a month.

Macha didn't say that in his opening press conference. He talked about not giving away outs on the basepaths early in the games but that it could be utilized at the end to try and eek out a tying or winning run.

If RR says he is going to be more aggressive than Macha, I will believe him until I see otherwise.

Having a sabermetric viewpoint on this topic doesn't mean I can't think Macha was too conservative on the basepaths the last couple of years (I don't actually know). It's entirely possible that the Brewers could have scored more runs and won more games being more aggressive. I'm just conserned about the possibility of the pendelum swinging too far in the other direction. It's apparent that others share my concern.
A pendulum was exactly what I was thinking.

I am not sure Macha was overly conservative. Maybe a little but we did win at least 2 games with Carlos Gomez legs I remember off the top of my head. Loosening things a little wouldn't be bad. What I am more worried about is him going wild with sac bunting early in games. I hated it when Macha had his pitchers sac bunting so much. It was almost guaranteed they would try to sac bunt with a guy on first and less than 2 outs. Bunting needs to be done depending on the positioning of the defense. Letting guys, even pitchers, swing away when the defense is playing the bunt puts the defense in a bad position and opens up a lot of holes.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

trwi7

wrote:

Shouldn't that be written as an equation, complete with parentheses and

brackets?

Never. Math is not my

friend. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

[(21 - 17) + 39] - 40 = 3

Since it's only addition and subtraction the order doesn't matter... so you could somply write:

21 - 17 + 39 - 40 = 3

logan3825 wrote:

I hated it when Macha had his pitchers sac bunting so much. It was almost guaranteed they would try to sac bunt with a guy on first and less than 2 outs. Bunting needs to be done depending on the positioning of the defense. Letting guys, even pitchers, swing away when the defense is playing the bunt puts the defense in a bad position and opens up a lot of holes.
I couldn't stand it when Wolf and Yo are good enough to be used as a pitch hitter, but Macha wouldn't let them try to hit if they were pitching that day. If someone like Bush and Sheets was up, then you need to bunt. Our current crop of pitchers should be allowed to swing away a majority of the time. Unfortunately, I see Roenicke using the sac bunt even more.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Call me old school, but in my opinion, pitchers should be bunting every time there is a man on base with less than two outs. The key is to have them able to do so with effectiveness on a consistent basis.....hence lies the challenge.
I agree, and I would Roenicke makes that happen. It sounds like he's that kind of guy, but I guess he can't really individually teach each pitcher to be a good bunter. He can call the bunt, but they need to be able to get the bunt down.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Call me old school, but in my opinion, pitchers should be bunting every time there is a man on base with less than two outs. The key is to have them able to do so with effectiveness on a consistent basis.....hence lies the challenge.

With the 3B and 1B playing 60 feet from home plate when a pitcher is sacrificing, it just isn't a good play. Especially when the Brewers have two pitchers who hit nearly as well as their starting SS.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived