Brewer Fanatic

Ron Roenicke Hired as Manager

trwi7
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haudricourt with a good summary of Ron Roenicke's credentials from his latest JSOnline blog post:

...Roenicke, 54, also managed for seven seasons in the Los Angeles Dodgers' farm system, so he has managed under National League rules. And he also managed under NL rules for San Francisco's Triple-A team in Fresno in 1999.

He was named manager of the year in 1997 when San Antonio won the Class AA Texas League title. Roenicke was another manager of the year with Class A San Bernadino in 1995.

Roenicke played for six clubs during a 12-year pro career as an outfielder/first baseman. In eight major league seasons, he played for the Dodgers, Mariners, Padres, Giants, Phillies and Reds. He played on San Diego's 1984 NL championship team.

Roenicke's brother Gary also played for a lot of teams and currently scouts for the Orioles.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wow that came out of no where. I was just saying to my friend earlier that I just want a guy that can be the face/manager of our team for a long time. We can't keep having guys in and out and expect to be consistent. He's younger, so I like that. He comes from a quality team and manager, so I like that. I'm excited to give him a chance!

For once can we not jump down a guys throat for every loss we have? That would be great. We have to have more talent in here before we can start complaining about why the manager loses all our games for us. That being said I'm sure glad Macha is gone and I hope this guy has more personality then a door knob.

I'm okay with Roenicke. He's got the pedigree to be a manager. Scioscia's one of the top 2 or 3 managers in the game, so working under him is a plus.

Negatives are that like Macha, he comes in with very little first hand knowledge of the Brewer roster or the NL Central. Thankfully, the return of Sveum and Peterson should ease that transition if he's willing to seek out their counsel in that regard. I don't think Macha did that much when he arrived.

I remember Roenicke as a player, and I recall he wasn't nearly as good as his brother Gary who had some good seasons with the Orioles.

he's 56 so i wouldn't exactly consider in a younger manager, i do like the system he came out of and would take the success that the angels had in the 00's for the brewers over the next decade in a heartbeat, although they should have won more.

Negatives are that like Macha, he comes in with very little first hand knowledge of the Brewer roster or the NL Central. Thankfully, the return of Sveum and Peterson should ease that transition if he's willing to seek out their counsel in that regard. I don't think Macha did that much when he arrived.

Hopefully, this being his first major league managerial job, he'll be interested in seeking counsel from the players as well. Unlike Macha, who admitted he really didn't really talk to Braun until his second spring training.

I'm excited about this - I was already starting to tire of the Bobby Valentine sideshow.

I'm underwhelmed. This is the least popular choice as far as creating fan excitement is concerned. The Brewers will have their work cut out for them selling season tickets this off-season.
I think the ticket sales staff have their work cut out for them this off-season, no matter who manages next.

I'll admit that I was ambivalent at best about Valentine. I was concerned that he'd be more about Bobby V than about the Brewers. Hiring Bob Melvin would have led to the overuse of Melvin Bros., and to confusion of which Melvin we were talking about in any given post. I think that would have been the least exciting choice.

I had kind of been rooting for Joey Cora, based on little more than a gut reaction, but I'm open to welcoming our new Roenicke overlord.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I was quietly pulling for Cora, but I'm okay with Roenicke....so long as he's willing to adapt his style to the talent he's given.

Old Hoss posted this in the old manager thread, but I thought it deserved a repost:

http://www.battersbox.ca/...?story=20101004113520521

Roenicke had success with both clubs, despite not having impressive rosters. With Fresno the leading hitters were Felipe Crespo, Doug Mirabelli and Calvin Murray and the most recognizable pitchers were Joe Nathan (as a mediocre starter), Julian Tavarez and Ben Weber. Fresno led the PCL in stolen bases by 24 stolen bases, which was nearly the difference between second and eighth place teams. Fresno was second in the PCL in sacrifice hits and had the second lowest total of intentional walks issued.

It at least sounds as though his minor league teams played above their talent level, which speaks well of him.

RobDeer 45 wrote:
I just want a guy that can be the face/manager of our team for a long time. He's younger, so I like that. He comes from a quality team and manager, so I like that. I'm excited to give him a chance!
Are you talking about Roenicke or Yost?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'm excited about this - I was already starting to tire of the Bobby Valentine sideshow.
Completely agree. Valentine was my first choice only because of the immediate level of respectability he would command as the Brewers skipper and the ability to go after an underachieving player even if its Braun. But the thought of him commanding a larger salary doesn't really jive with what this team and City is all about. If Valentine wasn't the choice, Roenicke was my guy of the four. Let's hope he can be the Brewers Scott Skiles and squeeze every inch of talent out of this underachieving squad.

My only fear is that he isn't the fiery guy that a young team needs to light a fire under their butts ala Valentine.

I'm listening to WSSP and the callers that are calling in are cracking me up. "This reminds me of the Ned Yost days...I don't like this at all. What is Melvin doing?"

I can maybe see these answers towards someone who has at least managed a couple years in which we would/could see a track record, but Roenicke doesn't have track record yet. Let's all just chill out and watch the guy manage before we call him the second coming of Ned Yost. He comes from winning team...has NL in his blood and from the sounds of it, has a belief system of moving the runners over, small ball when possible, RISP, versus HR, HR, HR, HR, HR. I welcome a philosophy that of Roenicke's anyday! A combination of that attitude plus Sveum's influence in the dugout...it could be a return to a fun and relaxed clubhouse.

Patience my young ones....

I actually really like this hire, although I would have liked any of the three finalists not named Melvin. I think a lot of the reactions are probably due to expectations, since most of the speculation was that Roenicke was the fourth choice. I will definitely not miss Macha always going to the same relievers, regardless if they've been struggling and his penchant for intentional walks.

I'm listening to WSSP and the callers that are calling in are cracking me up. "This reminds me of the Ned Yost days...I don't like this at all. What is Melvin doing?"

Not as bad as Sparky saying that fans would buy tickets if Bobby Valentine was named manager.

I'm fine with this pick although it was odd seeing that he was considered #4 of four choices. Hopefully he stresses defense and fundamentals a little more at least and just keeps the clubhouse loose and fun. I think that would do a lot in itself. All the players looked like they were doing quadratic equations in the dugout the second half of the year.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Both the Roenicke brothers had career OBP 100+ points over their batting averages. Can never predict how the player will be as a manager, but that's still a good sign to me. Brother Gary was paret of Earl Weaver's great LF platoon in mid-80's with John Lowenstein. Maybe some of that past will rub off on Ron and he'll channel Earl's mojo.

I'm glad it's not Valentine who would have been bigger than the team, and probably butted heads with Melvin once he realized what it's like to manage an team on a limited budget. I think Bobby V as Brewers manager would have a similar story line to Pinella's in Tampa.

Whether is was Cora or Roenicke, it's probably better to be starting with a new guy. March 31st, here we come!

Really, it's looking to me like all signs point to Roenicke. Dale Sveum's comments about getting back to being aggressive on the basepaths, Roenicke's managing style of being aggressive (or so we've read), and Roenicke's staying silent when asked about it. It all (to me, anyway) points to him being our next manager.

That was me, from October 26th. Hate to brag (who am I kidding, no I don't), but I picked this one. Kinda happy about getting my pick right lol

Anyway, love this hire. Anyone from the Mike Scoscia coaching tree is good with me, and Roenicke is the kind of guy who will be aggressive and protect his players (based on what I've read about him, and interviews with him). Not at all upset that it wasn't any of the other guys, Roenicke was the guy I was hoping for (Cora, too, but Roenicke more). I'm looking forward to his intro press conference. I wonder what number he'll wear? I also really wonder who he'll pick for his coaching staff, and if Rick Peterson will be gone (still thinking the Yankees want him).

Archived