Brewer Fanatic

Pat Hughes's postgame highlights from Easter 1987 game

NYChez

I've been to Brewers playoff games, World Series games, milestone games (like Robin's 3,000), but that was the funnest sporting event that I ever attended and nothing else has been close. I'll never forget how the upper deck at County was shaking during that rally. The concourses and the parking lot were crazy, high fives all around. You would have thought that the Brewers had just won the series.

Ironically enough, Bobby Valentine was manager of Texas at the time, and he made the ill-fated decision to put Greg Harris in the game. I also seem to remember him making some controversial possibly disparaging comments about the Brewers that weekend. I remember that he had everyone riled up pretty good.

I wasn't at that game, but was listening on the radio at my mom's house (since it was Easter and I was thus home from college for the weekend). I thought to pop a cassette tape into my brother's Radio Shack "Realistic" stereo and recorded the postgame highlights, some of which I can still recite by heart. Like, " Bobby Valentine made a pitching change, which he may or may not regret..."

Nice find, NYChez, though I wonder how on earth you stumbled across that (unless it's your family).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I was at the game (along with 100,000 others, right?). Being Jewish, my family had nothing in particular planned for that day, so my dad suggested we go to the game. I was 11, my brother was 8.

I never like to leave games early, but for some reason, down 4-1 late, I wanted to go home. My dad said, "If we go home and the Brewers come back to win, I'm locking you in the bathroom the rest of the day."

Of course, we stayed, the Brewers won, we got beer thrown on us in the excitement, and I was free to roam the house the rest of the day.

Thanks for posting that!! I listened to that game in my grandparents backyard after catching about 4 buckets of white bass (my parents and grandparents were all "thrilled" to be cleaning that many fish). When the Brewers won we all yelled and people were actually beeping their car horns in the city. It was truly a very exciting moment that as a 9 year old I didn't fully appreciate.

Best part: It would have been semi-normal to hear the car horns in the Milwaukee area. We were in the middle of Omro, Wisconsin which is 90 minutes north of County Stadium.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The baby in that video most likely is a college graduate.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was in college and having Easter dinner with my family at The Black Steer (or may have been Steakhouse 100?) on Hwy 100 and Greenfield (There is now a Wallgreens there). I kept running into the bar to see the what was happening with the game. I'll never forget that day.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I was at the two games before that...they were electric. Couldn't miss Mom's brunch on Easter Sunday. When Deer and Sveum hit those homers, you could hear the people cheering all over our neighborhood. Everyone had the game on...we could have gotten the full play by play without even turning on our own radio. That was one heckuva weekend and game. As much as I wish I'd have been at the game, it was fun to share that moment with the whole extended family. Great memories.

It is one the last memory I have of my grandfather. We were celebrating Easter as a family, and we had the game on, and we all listened intently! My grandfather was a big Braves and Brewer fan, and I still have the ball he got signed by the '58 Braves. A month after the Easter Sunday game, he died. So, thank you! I appreciate it!

This was also during the period when Uecker was at the absolute top of his game. Add to that Pat Hughes, who was awesome when part of a legitimate broadcast team, and it just added to the excitement that season. Hughes also had a great knack for building up the drama during his postgame shows - sometimes his postgame shows were as fun of a listen as the actual game - and this was a prime example. Regarding Uecker, these two Easter Sunday home run calls and his call on Braun's home run against the Cubs the day they clinched the wildcard are calls I'll be able to recite 30 years from now.

Archived