Brewer Fanatic

A J Pierzynski

I like Lucroy as much as anyone, but I don't think he's a guy that you want out there 5 days a week right now. He hit the wall batting just .211/.282/.237 in September in part because he was being used a lot.

Other than having a decent eye, and some pop, Kottaras didn't do enough to earn more playing either offensively or defensively.

Given the lack of left handed bats which might get worse if Fielder goes, doesn't it make sense to try to get another lefty bat in the lineup somewhere? Catcher seems to be to be the logical spot too. Lucroy hit just .241/.299/.291 vs. righthanded pitching.

The best available is Pierzynski. True he's he doesn't possess much of an arm, but he's certainly able to handle a pitching staff, get key hits and drive opponents nuts. He's older too but compared to Zaun, he's still a kid. Now he's not going to come all that cheap and he's going to want a situation where he's the clear number one. But at 34, he'd probably settle for a pure platoon situation. Cora as manager (should he get the job) might be a lure as well. Would 2 years of A J set back Lucroy? Maybe a little, but he'd still benefit being around a cagey veteran.

It's an interesting thought. I do like Pierzynski. I just fear he'd be looking for too much money.

How much can a 34 year old catcher coming off a bit of a down year command? Two years, $10-12 million maybe? Given the Brewer payroll, I don't think he'd blow the budget too far open and he'd be the type of signing that would immediately improve the team.

JohnBriggs12[/b]]I like Lucroy as much as anyone, but I don't think he's a guy that you want out there 5 days a week right now. He hit the wall batting just .211/.282/.237 in September in part because he was being used a lot.
If AJ wants to come cheap, sure. Its always nice to have a vet around at catcher.

However, I'm not worried about Lucroy hitting the wall in September. I think he was more the recipient of bad luck with a BABIP of .246 than him being used too much.

I'd be for it, if it wasn't for too much money. I'd probably give him a Kendall type 2 year deal. What did Kendall earn here, about $4 million-ish a year? A one year deal would be even better. I can't see Pierzynski getting too much more than that on the open market.

Catcher is probably the last position the Brewers should or will consider throwing money at this offseason aside from LF

That's an interesting viewpoint. I couldn't disagree more at least as far as the "should" part. To me, along with SS, catcher is the one offensive area where there is the most room for improvement. I certainly don't see them going out and signing a veteran SS just yet. But even if Lucroy improves some which I'll grant he's likely to do, they still will likely have no better than the 4th best catching in the division. Behind him, they have very little.

The problem besides the limited production from Lucroy/Kottaras duo, is they are very susceptible to right handed pitching and that was with Fielder. Assuming Fielder gets traded for pitching, that leave Gamel or a middle of the road type FA bat as your only LH bat in the lineup.

Pierzynski, even last year had a lot more pop in his bat than Kendall of a few years ago did. As far as luck goes, Pierzynski's BABIP of .278 was well off his career mark of .301 and was lower than Lucroy's .287.

I think Kottaras is a nice backup to have, gives you the L/R combo. Kottaras has a lot more power & patience at the plate than Lucroy right now, and imo probably more power than Pierzynski too. I'd rather the Brewers didn't spend ~$4M or whatever on A.J. when they already have Kottaras for lg.-min. salary. Use that money to go towards a contact offer to someone like Dunn or Berkman.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo offers this musing (link):

"Jason Varitek would be a nice veteran backup for the Brewers, who need someone to mentor Jonathan Lucroy."

Between Varitek's touted leadership, the fact that he's already had to adjust to a part-time role, and the possibility that he could also serve as a part-time fill-in or backup at 1B (should Prince be gone), I wonder if he wouldn't be a more affordable & suitable signing than Pierzynski.

Or maybe he's too old. But it's at least an idea worth considering if the Brewers are looking for a more veteran backup than Kottaras. Other than taking more walks, Varitek should be pretty comparable to George at the plate if not better.

To say that Pierzynski is younger than Zaun and a better hitter than recent Kendall is entirely true. It is also not my idea of an endorsement. Catchers tend to fall off a cliff in their mid-30s. I don't understand why we would sign a mediocre offensive and defensive catcher, who wants real money and a starting job, at a point in his career when he's likely to decline sharply, when we have a young starting catcher we're trying to develop. That seems seriously counterproductive.

Archived