Brewer Fanatic

What would you do with #756?

brewcrew00

What would you do, if you caught number 756?

I would hold it for a little while, seeing as I can't stand Bonds, and I honestly don't think him hitting it would benefit the game in any way, I would even be tempted to write something like "steroids" right on the ball.

Anyway, interested to see what you guys/gals would do if you caught number 756!

You would consider defacing the ball and costing yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars because of your dislike for a baseball player?

I presume this is more of a fantasy, "I totally would do "x"!" type thread?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anyway, interested to see what you guys/gals would do if you caught number 756!

I would definitely not deface or devalue the ball.

What happened after that would depend. I think the ball has value, and it would be reasonable to be in some way compensated for returning the ball to Bonds or giving the ball to the HOF. Maybe Barry or the Hall could get me a Fielder signed jersey and bat?

Regardless of what I think of Bonds, there is a level of historical significance to the home run and that ball, and I think it should be preserved, no matter what I think of Bonds personally.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

As much as I'd love to say that I'd keep it / sell it, I don't think I could do that with a piece of baseball history.

- Picture of me handing over the HR ball directly to Barry Bonds.

- Autographed bat, referencing the HR ball.

...If I got greedy, maybe tickets & accommodations to see a Brewers-Giants Series in SF.

I think I would retain ownership of the ball, but then send it to Cooperstown for display.

I love the Hall of Fame, and try to get there once a year if I can. My dream retirement is to work there as an educator or tour guide--even as a volunteer.

But I suspect it would be awesome to see a featured item on display, knowing that I was directly responsible for putting it there.

For the record, I wouldn't ACTUALLY deface the ball, I meant it to be a temptation, and to show my hatred for what I feel he has been a part of; a big red flag almost next to the entire mystique of the home run for a few years. I think players like Prince Fielder, and Vladdy, and Travis Hafner have been so good for baseball to show someone succeed without that tainted thought of what has been all but proved to have happen.

That being said, I would probably sit on the ball for a month or two, and then either give it straight to the HOF with hopes of some compensation, or if money became a dire need, go the auction route.

Two words: highest bidder. If I went the E-Bay route, I'd also throw in a syringe. To me, it's almost better that this ball not make to the HOF.

Since Barry said he's only in it for Barry, I'm only in it for me.

I dont think that any baseball fan could justify doing anything to the ball that would have it not end up in the hall of fame. It belongs there and i would probably sell it to the highest bidder with the guarantee that it would end up there

auctions will not get as much as some people may think. dont get me wrong, you will get a pretty penny, but there was just a little story in SI last week about how the market for HR balls has dropped pretty drastically. in the article, the guy who paid the $3 million for the mcgwire ball admits it was foolish.

looked for a link but couldnt find it

This is a professional sports league we are talking about. The goal of the league is to get as much money as they can from the fans. Why should any fan fan feel compelled to give up a large sum of money to ensure that the ball makes it into the Hall of Fame? The owners, management and players are doing what's best for their own interests and the fans should do likewise.

The league can buy the ball themselves if they wanted to ensure the ball ends up in a glass case in Cooperstown.

Soak it in gasoline and burn it, while laughing hysterically.

OK, not really. I'd probably see what I could get from Bonds for it. I bet he'd be willing to buy it for a decent chunk of change. I don't like Bonds, but I'd understand what the ball would mean to him, and I wouldn't want to be like that one guy who still has one of Aaron's key homer balls, and refuses to sell it back (I think it's number 714 or 715, I can't remember though).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would sell it. I have too much college debt(and i'm not even finished yet) to do anything else. Unless Bonds gave me the Bat, Jersey, Hat and batting gloves he had(all auto'd) on while hitting the HR, i wouldn't even concider anything else.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Instant fetal position until security gets the dozens of people off me. Go on talk shows wearing a Brewer hat and Braun jersey, probably get on Sportscenter, Baseball Tonight, Today Show, Leno, etc etc, saying that I'm not sure what I want to do with it. Hopefully meet a model or seven who likes money in New York or L.A. during these shows. Then auction it when Bonds retires, saying the whole time that some of the money is going to some charity (more girls).

Cubs.com Poll:

What would you do if you caught a Bonds historic HR at Wrigley?

Keep the ball - 8623 votes, 62%

Throw it back - 5393 votes, 38%

Now that would be a sight to see. Some dumb Cubs fan catch #756 and throw it back.

Archived