Brewer Fanatic

Thanks brewerfan.net!

greeg35

I’d like to use my 1000th post to reflect a little
on what BF.net has meant to me as a baseball fan. Starting in 2004, I lurked for a while; but
the posting started for me with a discussion with Rluz (of all people) about
why I thought Daryle Ward could be
considered a “Brewer Killer”. After that I took a break. Later on,
I moved back into the posting world; but found and am finding I have little to
contribute outside of what many of the impressive minds here already can and do.

After getting lit up
in that little disagreement with Russ I went back to lurking and learning more about
the game I thought I knew everything about.
While I haven’t moved totally into the camp that discounts most things
non-quantifiable as luck, I have moved farther in the direction of appreciating
“Sabermetrics” than I ever thought I would.
I appreciate this community not only for its knowledge; but for its
civility and focus on INTELLECTUAL debate, even in disagreement.

So I’d like to make
this a thread about what BF.net has done for your baseball fandom, and also I’d
like to list five of the posters I most appreciate (out of an entire community
of awesome posters), not because I always agree with them; but for the
perspectives they bring to the message board:

Rluz: obvious choice
re: stats, needn’t more be said

AJAY: for his pure, unadulterated, emotional
fandom

Briggs: for bringing
it old-school

Battlkow: for humor
and a diverse minor league perspective

Trwi7: every
community needs a fact checker, and he is good at it.

As I said, this community is full of people bringing value to the discussion so thanks to everyone. Thanks also to the creator of the site and all the mods for the work you do!

Nice post - and topic.

Here are my top 5 reasons for thanking bf.net (in no particular order)

1. In-game threads are incredibly entertaining and a fun to be a part of.

2. I have learned more about baseball from reading this board than I ever had watching games and baseball tonight. ( i know that's probably not a compliment at all http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif )

3. To pass the time during slow days at work or other times of boredom.

4. The off topic has become my favorite forum. it's great to talk about other things besides baseball and i always enjoy hearing people's stories about weather, ghosts, and other random things.

5. i should thank all of the people on this board who do not know me personally but that didn't stop them from showing such great support to me when i came on this board a few times to share my stories about losing two of my pets. those truly were two of the hardest things i have had to deal with in my life, and the support and well wishes that people on here gave me were incredible and they really helped get me though the tough times... and I can't thank all of you enough for that http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Beyond compare: The Link Report.

Between that and the minor league forum, I'm not sure you could ask for a better organizational education. Subsequently, when you talk about that same stuff with your friends who don't read BF but listen to all the sports talk radio, you will literally make their heads explode.

I'll also add many thanks to the posters who do such a great job understanding roster management as well as contract status stuff. I can barely get it all in my head.

For those of us living outside the metro-Milwaukee area, if not outside the lower 48, it allows us one really good source for in-depth Brewers information.

It has also provided a link to other Brewers fans outside of Milwaukee, even a buddy to go to a game with in enemy territory. Somewhere I believe there is photographic evidence of the disappointment in the outcome of that game with said individuals.

Finally... well, let's say my own little world where occasionally I am a TV star.

Thanks to all who contribute to the community.

Archived