Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well hopefully he might not even get to make this choice
Don't hold your breath. I'd be shocked if Melvin is not the GM going into next season. And I'm fine with that, personally. I think the light bulb has gone on and I think there is a strategy for the off-season. If next season is another failure, then fine; fire him.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

There is no guarantee that Towers will keep Kirk Gibson in Arizona. Towers did not hire him and most GM's seem to like to bring in "their guy". I would take him in MKE in a heartbeat. Sure, he doesn't have the greatest track record at this point...but he really hasn't had much to work with.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Whoever the manager, he will be Melvin's last manager hire. That he gets a 3rd choice is almost unheard of.

Great observation Briggs.

Did Melvin choose Yost? It makes sense that he would have, but my recollection (which may well be wrong) is that they were hired together. A quick search didn't turn up the hiring dates. Does anyone have this info at hand?

Also, FWIW, Dean Taylor managed to hire two managers in just three years; Harry Dalton hired six (including Bamberger twice) in fifteen years. Obviously the game has changed, but I think the number of managers a GM hires is at least as much an effect as a cause of how long a GM stays in his job.

Well hopefully he might not even get to make this choice
Don't hold your breath. I'd be shocked if Melvin is not the GM going into next season. And I'm fine with that, personally. I think the light bulb has gone on and I think there is a strategy for the off-season. If next season is another failure, then fine; fire him.
This is why I am in favor of hiring one of the internal guys on a short term contract. Give them a two year deal, and next year give it one last run with this group of players mostly intact (and Melvin). If next season is like this one, blow everything up.

I'm hoping the announcement is made that his option won't be picked up.

My choices are in order (from names being mentioned):

1. Tim Wallach

2. Joe Torre

3. Bob Melvin

4. Pat Listach

by the way the fact that listach is being mentioned as a managerial candidate makes me feel so old.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sure, he doesn't have the greatest track record at this point...but he really hasn't had much to work with.

Couldn't you say that about Macha and the pitching staff he was given to work with?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Another manager is about to be available. The Pirates are going to announce after today's game that they have fired John Russell. Not sure if he'd be a good fit here, but I actually liked the way he managed the Pirates.

Another manager is about to be available. The Pirates are going to announce after today's game that they have fired John Russell. Not sure if he'd be a good fit here, but I actually liked the way he managed the Pirates.
No surprise. Clearly it's his fault that the Pirates lost for the 18th season in a row.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator

OWBC's rules for hiring a new manager:

1) Never played for the Brewers

2) Never worked for ESPN

3) Was not already interviewed by Melvin in 2003 or 2008

4) Not a current member of the Brewers' organization

OWBC's rules for hiring a new manager:

1) Never played for the Brewers

2) Never worked for ESPN

3) Was not already interviewed by Melvin in 2003 or 2008

4) Not a current member of the Brewers' organization

Add "not recently a manager for another organization" and I think you have a good start for guidelines.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Community Moderator
Add "not recently a manager for another organization" and I think you have a good start for guidelines.
I agree. That's #5.

I want Tim Wallach but he doesn't seem like someone Melvin would hire.

Archived