Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage

I think that it would be hard to argue that this team plays solid fundamental baseball. Poor defense, baserunning miscues, failures to get a bunt down, situational hitting, etc. That falls to Macha. Going further, the team tends to play fairly uninspired, that reflects Macha as well. He needs to go.

Just say no to Bob Melvin, by the way. His managerial career has been mediocre at best. If this team wants to hire a currently unemployed retread manager, why not Phil Garner? I'm not joking- it would be interesting to see what he could do with a team that actually spends some money. He was saddled with limited payroll in Milwaukee and pretty much brutal teams in Detroit, but did OK in Houston.

At any rate, my preference would be either Sveum, Money or Randolph on a one year deal in that order. Add some pieces in the off-season on short term deals, and give it one last go next year with most of the core intact (with Fielder unless you can get a Cain/Garza type for him). If next year is as bad as this one, blow things up and rebuild around the young pitchers..... hopefully, if their arms are still intact.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At any rate, my preference would be either Sveum, Money or Randolph on a one year deal in that order. Add some pieces in the off-season on short term deals, and give it one last go next year with most of the core intact (with Fielder unless you can get a Cain/Garza type for him). If next year is as bad as this one, blow things up and rebuild around the young pitchers..... hopefully, if their arms are still intact.

Are any managers ever hired on 1 year deals? That seems like it would almost be a slap in the face. Even Macha's 2 year deal struck me as odd.

Community Moderator
Clearly this is your opinion. To say the current team does not stress

playing fundamental defense is pretty ludicrous. How many times have

we read about how hard Weeks has worked with Randolph on his defense

and that is only one example.

Yes, it does occasionally show up that Weeks or Escobar is working with Randolph. But the coaches are also working with the infielders and outfielders on the other 29 teams. The difference is that any comments about the Brewers' defense from the coaching staff are few and far between. Improving defense starts the first day of spring training and can take years to show up. The Brewers' neglect of defense has gone on for several years, and has now come to fruition with the team becoming the worst defensive team in MLB at the exact time that pitching and defense became common areas of emphasis across MLB.

Sometimes it was simple decisions, like allowing Prince Fielder to play the field during Interleague play. Other times it is more involved--like which positions to upgrade to make up for Braun/Fielder's atrocious defense. I also have to question why Escobar did not become the star defender that he was supposed to be according to our scouting. Remember when Ned Yost would remove our poor defenders late in the game--how often do you see that from Macha?

I am confident that additional upgrades to the Brewers' pitching staff will not yield significant improvements unless the defense behind these pitchers is upgraded. A new manager is also needed that will come out on day 1 of spring training 2011 and announce to the team that improving defense is a high priority.

The longer Garner managed the Brewers, the less he seemed to do well. No thanks.

Randolph, Sveum, Money, or someone from another organization... (Not that they haven't been debated a lot already. I just didn't want to talk down an idea without also making a suggestion.)

Speaking of Brenly, an interesting guy who I think will be out there is current Cub interim manager Mike Quade. Despite the success he's had since he took over, I still think the Cubs will opt for a bigger name.

Quade got a moribund team to finish the season well. He's got 16 years experience managing in the minors too. My guess is if the Cubs don't bring him back, he'll be on some lists of other teams.

The more I hear about Don Money, the more I like him as a replacement for Macha. He has progressed all the way through the ranks of minor league managing, always seeming to do well and help players with their development. So I think he is my first choice. Give him the final bump from AAA to MLB.

If we promote a good coach and player developer from one of our minor league affiliates, are we helping or hurting our organization long term?

Archived