Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage

Macha's a muppet, so I understand why people don't like his personality. But what are people's legitimate gripes with him? Generally, he plays the players who are performing better. He handles a bullpen somewhat competently. He doesn't throw his players under the bus in the media.

The only thing I can fault him for is he obviously didn't play Gamel for non-performance reasons, he plays Weeks too much because he's his favorite player and he'll occassionally leave our young pitcheR in too long. (Gallardo). Otherwise, he's been completely fine.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what are people's legitimate gripes with him?

I don't like that he chose not to get to know his players his first year here. He talked this spring about how he was going to make more of an effort to communicate with his players. That's just basic management, and he failed to do that in his first year. If a manager isn't going to take the time to get to know his players, he may as well be replaced by a guy in the Operations department with a laptop to make roster and management decisions.

I thought Macha was as good as gone a month or so ago. Now I have this odd feeling that Melvin might give him one more year. I dunno how I really feel about Kenny. Some things he does I like others I don't. Guess it is that way with just about any manager. All I know is it will be interesting to see what does or doesn't happen after the World Series ends this season.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Overall, Macha really isn't that bad. He doesn't make the glaring matchup mistakes a guy like Yost did (repeatedly, no less). Macha's only real downfall to me is that he isn't comfortable playing guys that haven't 'proven themselves' to him. Playing young players full-time is an important part of managing a smaller-market team like the Brewers. Not sure how I feel about him overall, but I'm 100% positive the Brewers could be a lot worse at manager.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Macha's only real downfall to me is that he isn't comfortable playing guys that haven't 'proven themselves' to him. Playing young players full-time is an important part of managing a smaller-market team like the Brewers.
I keep seeing these types of comments from many posters, and I'm not sure I see any evidence of it. Who are all of the young/unproven players he hasn't played? He's played Escobar full time this year as well as Lucroy and Gomez/Cain among the position players... and Axford, Loe and Braddock in high leverage situations in the pen. I think all of them qualify as young and/or unproven.

The only young/unproven player that he didn't play was Gamel... and there is evidence that Gamel either hasn't had the best attitude, hasn't been the hardest worker or maybe has a sense of entitlement. The irony is the guy he played in his place, McGehee, fit into the unproven description, but nobody ever mentions that.

Maybe he didn't play Gamel for reasons other than he is young and unproven.

The next manager needs to be a guy that the players respect and want to play for. I really have no gripe with his managerial decisions but he looks bored during games and the players do to.

There's something to be said when players worst at bats are late in games when the team is down. With Yost the team looked like they were having fun and pulling for each other. Now it seems like they are out there just trying to get through 9 innings. I can't blame them either when grandpa Macha is in the dugout taking a nap against the wall.

Also has anyone ever seen Macha talk to a coach other than Peterson in the dugout?

I keep seeing these types of comments from many posters, and I'm not sure I see any evidence of it. Who are all of the young/unproven players he hasn't played?

A comment he made about Cain, prior to Cain 'proving himself' sticks out to me as an apparent part of Macha's philosophy on young/unproven players:

"[Cain] was impressive," Macha said. "Very impressive. But this is a guy who has [41] at-bats in Triple-A. He needs to go play. That's not eliminating that he may be back up here in a month or two weeks or something like that. He certainly has the tools to play center field and steal bases and swing the bat, but he missed a lot of last year with injuries, too. ...

"The honest answer is this: Lorenzo Cain missed a lot of the year last year, has [41] at-bats in Triple-A. He hasn't even proven himself in Triple-A yet. To expose him to Major League pitching every day at this particular point in his career would probably do a disservice to him and our organization."

That was from a McCalvy blog post back on July 22d. Hat tip to logan for posting it in the "Mr Cain goes to Milwaukee" thread (post #217), because that was the first correct search result via Google.

Macha's instinct was that Cain wouldn't be able to handle MLB pitching, and that it would even go as far as to set back his development. For me, it's not any one specific case, but just an overall opinion that Macha doesn't handle prospects/unproven players well.

Maybe he didn't play Gamel for reasons other than he is young and unproven.

It's a good point, as is the fact that McGehee was unproven. Perhaps what Macha is more about is 'Are you giving me results right now?', as opposed to, 'Those darn kids!'. That's fine as a managerial philosophy when the goal is to "Just win, baby!", but the Brewers are almost always going to need to be winning as many games as possible while still allowing young players to develop. My concern is a prospect has to be allowed to both succeed & fail, without fearing that his performance tomorrow might cost him his job.

My guesses on Escobar are that either Melvin gave an order that Alcides would play fulltime, or that Alcides had already proven himself to Macha last September. With Gamel, no one in the F.O. has seemed concerned about how Gamel was or has been handled, so I think Mat's assumed attitude problem/sense of entitlement is in the mix there. The 'Lucroy called up' thread includes some frustrated posts that he was called up & wasn't getting enough playing time. Once Kottaras slumped, that changed. Lucroy started 4 of his first 12 MLB games; it seemed to take Kottaras going into a mini-slump (1-for-17 from 7.4 - 7.9) for Lucroy to get regular playing time. From 7.10 through the end of July, Lucroy started 15 of 19 games -- right in line with what's regarded as being a regular starter behind the plate. Obviously Lucroy has been the regular catcher since.

Imo since Lucroy is a better defender, he's giving Macha good production, hence Jonathan keeping his job despite hitting poorly. Perhaps it was entirely coincidental, and Kottaras just happened to go into a mini-slump right at the moment Macha started to believe Lucroy had soaked in enough of MLB and was ready for more full-time duty. I really have no way of being certain; my thoughts on Macha are just me trying to interpret events.

It seemed like Edmonds played ahead of Gomez nearly any time Macha got the chance (feelings on Gomez aside, he needed all the everyday playing time he could get to see how he could develop). Hoffman had to really disprove himself before Axford took over the #1 job in the bullpen. I recall feeling like Braddock wasn't trusted right away after being called up, either (but that could easily just be confirmation bias on my part).

Imo since Lucroy is a better defender, he's giving Macha good production, hence Jonathan keeping his job despite hitting poorly.
Am I missing something? Lucroy's hitting .274 in over 200 PAs. I'm not sure how you consider that hitting poorly unless you're referring to a specific context you didn't reference.

Perhaps what Macha is more about is 'Are you giving me results right now?', as opposed to, 'Those darn kids!'. That's fine as a managerial philosophy when the goal is to "Just win, baby!", but the Brewers are almost always going to need to be winning as many games as possible while still allowing young players to develop.

He picked the guy giving him the better results not necessarily the guy who would give him the better results. Nitpicking a bit I know and maybe to fine of a distinction.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

There is more to hitting than batting average. He's not taking many walks and he's not hitting with power. He's below league average, and I believe he's below average for catchers, but it's close.

In limited observation, Lucroy appears to be pretty tough to strike out, but he also appears relatively poor at drawing walks. He's so tough to strike out, however (imo), that that skill will eventually translate into more walks. I think his ability to cover the plate and foul off pitches will translate into more walks as his discipline progresses & he's able to lay off pitches well outside the strike zone.

I'll give Macha credit for 1 thing, he has pushed aside Carlos Gomez. It takes stones to ignore your GM's pet project. Its really lame Melvin has Gomez on the roster right now. The GM has made the managers job tough here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

With Gamel, no one in the F.O. has seemed concerned about how Gamel was or has been handled, so I think Mat's assumed attitude problem/sense of entitlement is in the mix there.

Melvin seemed to me to be confirming that when in the booth not too long ago he was talking about how hard McGehee works to make the most of his talent, unlike some other players who think they are entitled to a spot in mlb. I don't know exactly how he put it, but it was something to that effect. I assumed, since he was talking about the current 3rd baseman, that the comment about other players was, at least in part, aimed at Gamel.

With Gamel, no one in the F.O. has seemed concerned about how Gamel was or has been handled, so I think Mat's assumed attitude problem/sense of entitlement is in the mix there.

Melvin seemed to me to be confirming that when in the booth not too long ago he was talking about how hard McGehee works to make the most of his talent, unlike some other players who think they are entitled to a spot in mlb. I don't know exactly how he put it, but it was something to that effect. I assumed, since he was talking about the current 3rd baseman, that the comment about other players was, at least in part, aimed at Gamel.

If the GM thinks Gamel's work ethic isn't acceptable, than why does he refuse to include him in trades? Holding onto to him and letting him wash out is idiotic for a team that needs assets to trade for pitching.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't think he's "letting Gamel wash out." Let's not forget Gamel had a chance to possibly make the team in spring training but got hurt again. I'm certain they're looking at including Gamel in the mix for next season (assuming Fielder is traded).

As far as Macha, I'll reiterate my stance. I don't think he is a real problem with this team right now. You can nitpick some of the things he's done; but I don't think it's a stretch to say you could come up with a similar list of gripes with any MLB manager. Bottom line, the team's performance in '09 and '10 has much more to do with the woeful starting rotation. That said, I'm not opposed to seeing him gone after this year though, simply because it will finally appease a vocal part of the fanbase.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The next manager needs to be a guy that the players respect and want to play for. I really have no gripe with his managerial decisions but he looks bored during games and the players do to.

There's something to be said when players worst at bats are late in games when the team is down. With Yost the team looked like they were having fun and pulling for each other. Now it seems like they are out there just trying to get through 9 innings. I can't blame them either when grandpa Macha is in the dugout taking a nap against the wall.

Also has anyone ever seen Macha talk to a coach other than Peterson in the dugout?

These guys are professionals. They shouldn't need a 'rah rah' guy in the dugout for them to be able to go out and perform their duties (or have *fun* for that matter)

looks like this is a couple days old, but still worth a chuckle...

http://www.brewcrewball.com/2010/8/27/1653992/macha-rhapsody

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/530340/bohemian_medium.jpg

Is this a real league?

Is this just fantasy?

Ten games back from the wild card

No escape from reality

At least we're at home

Look up to the dome and see

I'm just the manager

I need no sympathy

Because I'm easy come, easy go

Little high, little low

Any way the game goes

It's all about the batters to me, to me

Dougie, I just benched a kid

He was serving up grapefruit

Wasting pitches, trying to be cute

Dougie, his career has just begun

But now he's gone and thrown it all away

Dougie, ooh

Didn't mean to make you cry

We've got another game this time tomorrow

Carry on, carry on need to work with the batters

Too late, game time has come

The

Pirates are next in line

Wish we could play them all the time

Goodbye, quiet clubhouse

I've got to go

Gotta leave you all behind and face the crowd

Dougie, oooooooh (Anyway the wind blows)

I don't want to lose

Sometimes wish I'd never taken this job at all

[Guitar Solo]

I see a kid saying he's our center fielder

Poppycock, Poppycock, you can see how the bench feels

Dale Sveum and Randolph, waiting for the handoff, fiends!

(

Trevor Hoffman) Kameron Loe (Trevor Hoffman) Kameron Loe

Trevor Hoffman six hundred

Two more to go-o-o-o-o

I'm just the manager nobody loves me

He's just the latest one after Nedly

Spare me this season, it's a monstrosity

Leads come, Leads go, will you let me pitch Loe?

Peterson! No, we can not yet use Loe

Send in Loe

Send in Loe

Send in Loe (We can not yet use Loe)

Send in Loe (We can not yet use Loe) (Never, never, never, never)

Send in Loe, o, o, o, o

No, no, no, no, no, no, no

(Oh Bernie Brewer, Bernie Brewer) Bernie Brewer, let me go

The Hall of Fame has a wing put aside for me, for me, for me!

So you think you can cheat us and take away our strike zone

So you think you can shut us out in our own dome

Oh, baby, just one pitch away, baby

Just gotta get three out, just gotta get our third out right here

[Guitar Solo]

(Oooh yeah, Oooh yeah)

It's all about the batters

Pitching is easy

It's all about the batters

It's all about the batters to me

Any way the game goes...

These guys are professionals. They shouldn't need a 'rah rah' guy in the dugout for them to be able to go out and perform their duties (or have *fun* for that matter)

I understand that these are professional athletes, but that doesn't remove any human emotions they have simply because they are now getting paid to play the game they love. I also won't claim to know what kind of impact there can be on some teams because of the personality of their manager. I suspect in most cases it's quite minor, but i've never spent 162 games with a baseball team in a long season. On top of that, we don't really know how exactly all the players on the team really feel about Macha. All we get are random quotes here and there from supposed unnamed sources and in the grand scheme of things, i think a lot of fans overrate the importance of baseball managers when it comes to a team's final record.

That said, simply from my perspective as a fan watching Macha manage the team and hearing him after games, he doesn't exactly come off as an inspiring guy. Macha often comes off to me that instead of him being the manager of a professional baseball team, he's in the process of doing a study on the history of closet doors in America as he recites his findings to us.

I don't know. I keep re watching Cain's amazing catch yesterday, and had I been the manager, I would've sent Dickerson out there mid inning to replace.... Braun. There's no excuse for dogging it on fly balls, and he's been doing it for a month now.

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/b7c155998b69579a63bd327dcfe3ab3edf17daa.jpg

Cain ran almost twice as far as Braun to catch that ball. Braun was jogging from the get go.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Nice work Baldkin. That really captures the problem I have with Macha, The team is completely uninterested in defense under his guidance. It sucks the players aren't more competitive, but thats what money does to them. Dusty Baker, despite being a strategic idiot, wins because players play hard and have their best seasons under his leadership.

Again, if you think that pre and in-game strategy is the most important facet of a manager, hire someone to run a laptop with a program that spits out all the best strategic options based on the current scenario and past occurrences- in this case, you'd always take the 'best' option, while Macha would slip up once in a while. I believe that management involves more than that though- most importantly, commanding respect and respecting your employees through communication skills. Watching this team, I'm not so sure that Macha does either well. I'm not sure I've never heard a positive quote about him through the press. I'm sure most of us have been in situations with 'bad bosses' where they are poor communicators and second-guessed by most of employees. Generally, in these cases, the workplace isn't quite up to par with productivity, because everyone is kind of doing their own thing. This shines through on the field with the Brewers' poor fundamentals and seemingly uninspired play (by most).

I'm not basing this off anything aside from the fact that, to this outsider, it appears the entire team has an awesome relationship with him. What about Ed Sedar for manager? I know nothing of his strategical approach to the game, and he could well be just another 'baseball guy' retread. However, the players really seem to love the guy, and he's been with the team long enough that he has to know just about every player pretty well.

If he's comparable to Macha in terms of strategy, he would seem to me to be worth a look -- someone the players would appear to want to play for might really be a nice change of pace.

I'm not basing this off anything aside from the fact that, to this outsider, it appears the entire team has an awesome relationship with him. What about Ed Sedar for manager? I know nothing of his strategical approach to the game, and he could well be just another 'baseball guy' retread. However, the players really seem to love the guy, and he's been with the team long enough that he has to know just about every player pretty well.

If he's comparable to Macha in terms of strategy, he would seem to me to be worth a look -- someone the players would appear to want to play for might really be a nice change of pace.

I was actually just thinking about Sedar today. The guys really do like him, and he seems like a guy they'd want to play for. Along with that, he has managed at the minor league level, and has a 257-224 record managing in the minors. That's a .534 winning percentage. So, I'd say he would be a nice candidate for manager. I'd like to see him be the manager, actually.

Maybe this seems like a dumb observation, but most of the interactions we see players having w/ Sedar are at 1B when they've somehow gotten on base. That's usually going to foster a positive interchange anyway, along with noticeable words of encouragement from Eddie Sedar as the 1B coach to those players.

Isn't that what you'd expect to see out of most players w/ their 1B Coach? It's just the nature of the beast, which is why I don't put much stock in what we see as the positivity of their relationship w/ Sedar, or judge that as a serious indicator of their rapport with him.

I still think Randolph or Sveum would be better leaders of this team than Macha, and I lean toward Randolph. Randolph's a proven successful NL manager and he's got a World Series ring to show for it (which certainly trumps Sedar's .534 minor league winning percentage). Randolph's firing in NY was as much or more a reflection of the dysfunction the Mets' franchise is than it was of Randolph's body of work as the manager. Sveum obviously has the players' respect, though far less actual managerial experience than either Randolph or Sedar.

The outsider thing seems way overrated. Keep in mind that until Macha, every Brewers (non-Interim) managerial hire has an outsider AND a rookie MLB manager since George Bamberger was hired the 2nd go-round and fired in late '86.

Archived