Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage

Valentine is a name manager, that's for sure. The reason that I like him is that he's a known quantity. I've always liked his style going back to Texas. Back then, he took a moribund franchise to respectability with a lot of young players. I remember how he did things like pull pitchers in spring training if they walked two guys in a row, etc. He may be an outspoken egomaniac that rubs some people the wrong way, but the bottom line is that he is extremely competitive, and will not hesitate to kick guys in their rears to get them going (I don't see him 'not talking' with Braun or Prince for most of a season as Macha claimed to do). Valentine wants to win, and though I'm sure Macha wanted to win, he didn't seem too broken up about losses. Another thing that I like about him is all the positive quotes that I've seen from the guys who played with and for him over the years. Finally, a lot of Mets fans want to see him brought back, that says something to me as well.

Regardless of what people say, I feel this team has most of the horses in place to be competitive in this division, with a few tweaks this winter, they would be right in the hunt. With a little luck, if things go right, anything can happen. Did anyone see the Giants with 'that lineup' or the Rangers with 'that pitching staff' playing each other in the World Series this year? As for the other candidates, Cora and Roenicke are complete unknowns. They could be great managers, but they could also flop miserably. I'd be more willing to take a chance with them if the team had sub 70 win talent on paper. Bob Melvin is a known quantity, but I don't think that his track record warrants his getting the job.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
or the Rangers with 'that pitching staff'

The one with the second-highest team ERA+ in the AL, and tied for 5th in MLB

That's my point. Did anyone see that coming in March? What was their team ERA in 2008 and 2009? The point that I was trying to make is that 'poor pitching' was used as an excuse for Macha's failure as a manager. Texas was coming off several years of poor pitching. Hindsight is 20/20, but think about which team had a better rotation on paper in March, Milwaukee or Texas (I'm not counting Suppan, because that was a politcal farce).

Too bad Melvin let Maddux walk, mostly over money from what I've heard. This could be Exhibit A for why sometimes it's a smart move to pay for managerial/coaching talent.

That's my point. Did anyone see that coming in March?

Sorry -- since the Giants won in spite of their offense, thought your point was that the Rangers won in spite of their pitching.

No worries. My point was mostly that though many have written the Brewers off already for next season, I think they have a good shot at being competitive if they make a few smart moves. I think the first would be to hire Valentine. Both the Giants and the Rangers were seen as one dimensional teams (one all hitting with no pitching and vice versa).

Brewers have hired Roenicke

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel

Nov. 2, 2010 2:16 p.m. |(0) Comments

A source close to the club just confirmed to me that the Brewers indeed have hired Los Angeles Angels bench coach Ron Roenicke as their new manager.

This was first reported by Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times.

I will follow up with more information soon but this is confirmed. The Brewers' new manager is Ron Roenicke.

Archived