Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
It bothers me that Valentine had two clinically depressed players on the same team and couldn't figure out why they needed to be on the disabled list. Along with that, things were bad enough that he was ordered not to have contact with one of those players.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the managers that have been interviewed by teams this season, I would have wanted Buck Showalter. The O's got him, though. I really do not want Bobby Valentine. I just don't like him.

A couple other guys to consider, Don Wakamatsu (probably not, but giving him an interview couldn't hurt), and Trey Hillman. I also kind of like the suggestion of Eric Wedge.

I'd like to see wholesale changes in the coaching staff. Seriously I'd like the whole bunch replaced and none of them hired as the next manager.

That said, I think Willie Randolph will be the next manager of the Milwaukee Brewers

I always have wondered why college coaches do not get a chance to become managers. It just seems like its always some major league guy guy who either playedin the majors or minors forever. I would throw an offer at one of the top college coaches and his college staff. Just a thought

To me, Willie Randolph just fits the bill for the type of players we have. It gives him a chance to play the style of baseball he prefers and not let all our speed go to waste. I was 100% him being fired from New York, the mets slumped to start the season (34-35) the year after a second place finish (which at the time was a disappointment coming off a 97 win first place finish in 2006. There is no doubt that Hart, Escobar, Cain, Braun, Weeks, Gomez steal total will drastically jump up. In 207 Wright snagged over 30, Reyes 70, Beltran over 20 and there is no reason why all those guys mentioned above should not be able to at least steal 20+ bases a season.

The only problem I have with bringing in Money or Listach is because they are Brewer greats...I would never want to see those two or Cecil Cooper, Robin Yount or even Dale manage this team because no matter what once they become manager everyone will hate them, tear them apart, and scream for them to be fired. That is just a ugly situation to put them in. A lot of people will sit here after they first start and think the world of them but once we hit that first slump, the love affair is gone and I get to sit back and read everywhere how terrible they are and why they need to be fired. I much rather have someone who didn't play for the Brewers in the 80's that I could careless about the fans turning on....Like a Macha.

Now if Ryne Sandberg doesn't replace Lou's job in Chi-Town... there is a canidate! Talk about the massive slap in the face to Cub nation..it would break there hearts and just for that reason, I'd pull the trigger!

The only problem I have with bringing in Money or Listach is because they are Brewer greats...I would never want to see those two or Cecil Cooper, Robin Yount or even Dale manage this team because no matter what once they become manager everyone will hate them, tear them apart, and scream for them to be fired. That is just a ugly situation to put them in. A lot of people will sit here after they first start and think the world of them but once we hit that first slump, the love affair is gone and I get to sit back and read everywhere how terrible they are and why they need to be fired. I much rather have someone who didn't play for the Brewers in the 80's that I could careless about the fans turning on....Like a Macha.

Now if Ryne Sandberg doesn't replace Lou's job in Chi-Town... there is a canidate! Talk about the massive slap in the face to Cub nation..it would break there hearts and just for that reason, I'd pull the trigger!

I wouldn't consider Listach a Brewer great. If he was "great" that really says something about the franchise. Heck, Bill Hall did more for this team than Listache ever did.

Poor fundamentals have killed this team under the Melvin regime......throwing to the wrong base, missing the cutoff,....baserunning blunders..... not being able to move runners, poor bunters.....selfish AB's (going for the homerun on two strike counts) etc, etc

....the next Manager needs to be disciplinarian who demands execution of the fundamentals....also, as mentioned above, stands up for his players & insisting that the players play hard all the time

We will be lucky to get anyone who is decent, lets be honest.
apparently all the hopeful guys who want to someday be a ML manager (or return to it) are saying "sure, the opportunity is really limited, but not Milwaukee."

i seriously don't know why you'd think that Milwaukee is such a horrible place that anyone with talent (or anyone who is even "decent") wouldn't want to come here.

If I had to wager on it, I'd bet the next Brewer manager will be the previous Brewer manager, Dale Sveum with Don Money brought in to be the bench coach and Chris Bosio brought back to be the pitching coach.

Some have suggested that Melvin wouldn't go back to Sveum because it would be admitting a mistake. I think he'd already be admitting a mistake by replacing Macha after just 2 years. Sveum bailed them out in 2008. He probably deserves his shot.

If I had to wager on it, I'd bet the next Brewer manager will be the previous Brewer manager, Dale Sveum with Don Money brought in to be the bench coach and Chris Bosio brought back to be the pitching coach.

Some have suggested that Melvin wouldn't go back to Sveum because it would be admitting a mistake. I think he'd already be admitting a mistake by replacing Macha after just 2 years. Sveum bailed them out in 2008. He probably deserves his shot.

Curious how you arrived at the conclusion that Sveum bailed them out in 2008.

I was talking with a good friend of mine, and he made a pretty good point about Dale Sveum. Sveum seems like the guy who is best suited to be the 2nd in command, not the guy in charge of it all.

A very interesting candidate, being talked about as a possible manager... how about Joey Cora, the bench coach of the Chicago White Sox?

since Sveum didn't get the full-time gig last time, i'm having a hard time believing that he'll get it this time.

i'm not suggesting you do at all, but i'm not equating making a mistake hiring Macha with a mistake in not hiring Sveum. hiring Sveum could have been a mistake, too.

although i have a hard time believing that Sveum "deserves" his shot at managing.

since Sveum didn't get the full-time gig last time, i'm having a hard time believing that he'll get it this time.

i'm not suggesting you do at all, but i'm not equating making a mistake hiring Macha with a mistake in not hiring Sveum. hiring Sveum could have been a mistake, too.

although i have a hard time believing that Sveum "deserves" his shot at managing.

Let me take you back to 1982. It's pretty much the same dynamic. Harvey Kuenn had been around as a Brewers coach under several managers going back to Del Crandall. Nobody at the time thought he was manager material either. He was passed over 3 times after Del Crandall was fired for Alex Grammas, George Bamberger and Buck Rogers.

But having been there as that team developed, he knew the team inside and out, and had the respect of the players. That 82 team was woefully underachieving under the stifling direction of Rogers who the baseball world thought very highly of.

I think Sveum would be an excellent choice. I would take him over the 3 finalists for the job the last time the brewers had a managerial opening. I would be shocked if Macha was back next year. There really are no great experienced managerial candidates out there, so you can either bring in a rookie manager from outside the organization or a retread. I'd love to see Freddie Gonzalez but hes most likely going to Atlanta.

also it will be hard to get a quality candidate as there will be a few high profile managerial openings next year including the cubs, dodgers, and possibly the mets.

Harvey Kuenn had been around as a Brewers coach under several managers going back to Del Crandall.

He was hired in 1971, so that actually takes him back to the Bristol regime. There could be a discrepancy among sources as far as officially listing him as "coach," though. There was a four-coach limit at the time he was hired, and before Kuenn, teams didn't specifically employ hitting coaches.

The four-coach limit is what lead to Harvey being put on the playing roster in September, 1971. His position wasn't included in the pension plan, and putting him on the roster allowed him accrue time. Of course, even though he didn't play, nobody figured in that his Hall of Fame eligibility would be delayed until 1977 because of that roster move.

Sorry for going way off topic. Carry on. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The Pittsburgh Pirates bailed the 2008 Brewers out. Not Dale Sveum.

Sveum has some good characteristics, but I don't want anyone whose thought process leads to starting Jeff Suppan over Yovani Gallardo in an elimination game managing the Brewers ever again.

The Pittsburgh Pirates bailed the 2008 Brewers out. Not Dale Sveum.

Sveum has some good characteristics, but I don't want anyone whose thought process leads to starting Jeff Suppan over Yovani Gallardo in an elimination game managing the Brewers ever again.

Well, the Pirates and the Mets combined to help. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

If we had undeniable proof that Suppan starting that NLDS Game 4 was 100% Sveum's decision, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived