Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haudricourt is Tweeting that there is a report that the Brewers have an agreement in principle with Bobby Valentine to be the next manager. Exact Tweet: "Bill

Scott of Wisconsin Radio Network says Brewers have agreement in

principle with Bobby Valentine to be manager. I'm looking into it."

Obviously this is far from being a done deal, but if nothing else it is becoming fairly believable that Valentine is the 4th "mystery" candidate.

Well, now. This is interesting. Somewhere, the Scott Rolen to the Brewers thread is cackling.

The source says Valentine is looking for $10-million over 3-years which may or may not throw a wrench into the deal.

Umm. What?

EDIT: For comparison's sake, Joe Girardi signed a 3-yr., $7.5M contract with the Yankees prior to the 2008 season. So Bobby V. reportedly wants the Brewers to pay him 133% of what the richest team in baseball pays its manager?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

EDIT: For comparison's sake, Joe Girardi signed a 3-yr., $7.5M contract with the Yankees prior to the 2008 season. So Bobby V. reportedly wants the Brewers to pay him 133% of what the richest team in baseball pays its manager?
It's probably going to take a lot for him to give up his cushy job at ESPN.

Well, now. This is interesting. Somewhere, the Scott Rolen to the Brewers thread is cackling.

The source says Valentine is looking for $10-million over 3-years which may or may not throw a wrench into the deal.

Umm. What?

Not to mention Girardi works in a much more hostile environment than Milwaukee with greater expectations.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It's probably going to take a lot for him to give up his cushy job at ESPN.

Sure, but how much can the guy really make in Bristol to justify $3.33M AAV? I'd imagine a $2M salary would significantly outshine his ESPN pay.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, that is Brinks truck of cash. If that report is accurate, I'd offer half that and if that isn't enough to get from a studio chair to the dugout I think we have our answer on how bad he wants to manage. If he turns it down we go with one of the other three with a clear conscience.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Can some on here explain their disdain for Bob Melvin?

I recall complaints about his in-game strategies, especially from statheads. But that's par for the course for most managers. I don't think anyone viewed him as Bakeresque.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Worse than that, Girardi is in talks to renew is contract now, and supposedly is looking for a $9M/3yr deal, and that's after 2 playoff appearances and 1 World Series title during his first contract.

Bobby V would really be a Mark A "big name" type signing. If he get's anything close to $10 mil I would be disgusted. I guess it's the cheapest way to convince fans that you are "committed to winning". He'll give good quotes, though!

Bobby V would really be a Mark A "big name" type signing. If he get's anything close to $10 mil I would be disgusted. I guess it's the cheapest way to convince fans that you are "committed to winning". He'll give good quotes, though!

Comments likethis by fans have always driven me absolutely crazy. Why do the fans care how much a player or a manager or coach might get paid?? Or make comments like "he's not worth that much". IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY!! So who cares?? I have always been one to believe you do whatever it takes financially to help your team succeed. If it means paying a manager 3-4 million a year, so be it. It's Mark A's money, not mine.

Comments likethis by fans have always driven me absolutely crazy. Why do the fans care how much a player or a manager or coach might get paid?? Or make comments like "he's not worth that much". IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY!! So who cares?? I have always been one to believe you do whatever it takes financially to help your team succeed. If it means paying a manager 3-4 million a year, so be it. It's Mark A's money, not mine.

Agreed, I don't care at all. I just want Bobby V, because I think he gives us the best chance to win.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I don't have a problem paying Valentine a hundred bazillion dollars, denominated in Nepalese Rupees, provided it doesn't take one dime away from major league payroll, the farm system, or scouting. Unfortunately, giving Valentine $3 mil+ per year would probably adversely affect one or more of those areas.

Anyway, my spidey sense says that this report isn't on the mark.

Considering that most managers are going to manage the game almost exactly the same. $10m over 3 years is a huge waste of money.

It's Mark A's money, not mine

I doubt any money is coming out of Mark Attanasio's pocket. This money is part of the budget and probably means less money to the players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

TH talked to Valentine;

"There has been no conversation about a contract with your team. Not one word has been mentioned to me and I have not mentioned to anyone there about a contract."

I sent Valentine another text to ask if he is in talks with the Brewers about the job and this was his response:

"We had a meeting."

I got no response from Valentine when I asked if he has been offered the job so there's a distinct possibility that the process has begun to see if a deal can be worked out. That's all I know for now. I will try to get more information as the day progresses.

Comments likethis by fans have always driven me absolutely crazy. Why do the fans care how much a player or a manager or coach might get paid??

The Brewers, like every other business, has a budget. If you pay Mark A. $10 mil, that's $10 mil less than can be spent somewhere else. That's the reality that the fans who drive you crazy are recognizing.

BREAKING NEWS EXCLUSIVE:

It is being reported by Scott Bartell, that Bobby Valentine HAS been offered the job of managing the Milwaukee Brewers.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a joke or what.

Anyway, I guess my leaning is that, "where there is smoke, there is fire." Maybe a deal isn't done yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers and Valentine are in negotiations. Valentine may have been playing coy with Haudricourt, if you read between the lines.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Posted by Haudricourt about 15 minutes ago on his blog (and yes I realize I am somewhat of a rumor mongering nerd when it comes to these things):

Folks, this is the way I will characterize what has happened thus far. According to what Bobby Valentine told me, the report that a deal was in place was premature. That doesn't mean there won't be a deal. There just has been no agreement thus far. And Valentine said no follow-up meeting has been scheduled. That doesn't mean one won't be scheduled, or that this won't be done over the phone with his agent. So, obviously there is interest on both sides. Whether it leads to a deal remains to be seen. Don't forget. There was a report a couple of weeks ago that Valentine had reached agreement with the Marlins, then that fell apart. So there's no deal until there is a deal. But there's obviously something going on here. I'll try to stay on top of it for you.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived