Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
Keeping the old staff around makes me think that the new manager will be an internal hire. I know Doug said it wouldn't but it doesn't make sense to hire the staff before you hire the manager. I gotta say it will most likely be Randolph, maybe Money.
Seeing as Randolph was told he wasn't being interviewed and Money signed on to stay at AAA, I highly doubt this will happen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a complete longshot, but the whole Sveum development has me thinking... What if the Brewers shocked everyone and hired Yount as manager? We have at least one mystery candidate who interviewed in Arizona, and now Sveum is staying on despite not even getting an interview for the manager job. Yount is from AZ and Sveum is one of his best friends. Things that make you go hmmm...... If anything it would be a huge PR coup for the team.

I'm still holding out hope for a Dave Martinez or DeMarlo Hale type hire. The point was already made in the Sveum thread, but I think retaining previous staff points to the hiring of a younger guy.

Interesting connection here. Were Sveum and Hale ever on the Red Sox at the same time? If so, that could indicate Hale as one of the unknown candidates, and that he could have picked Sveum to stay on the staff... I'm not sure if they were ever on the Sox at the same time, but that could be a very interesting connection.

I completely agree that retaining two of the previous staff would point to a younger guy getting the job, since a guy with experience would probably want "his guys" in there.

This is a complete longshot, but the whole Sveum development has me thinking... What if the Brewers shocked everyone and hired Yount as manager? We have at least one mystery candidate who interviewed in Arizona, and now Sveum is staying on despite not even getting an interview for the manager job. Yount is from AZ and Sveum is one of his best friends. Things that make you go hmmm...... If anything it would be a huge PR coup for the team.

I've thought about that as well. I don't know how I'd feel about it. I guess I wouldn't be upset since none of the names being mentioned really excite me.

Still don't understand why we're not at least interviewing Willie Randolph.

Keeping the old staff around makes me think that the new manager will be an internal hire. I know Doug said it wouldn't but it doesn't make sense to hire the staff before you hire the manager. I gotta say it will most likely be Randolph, maybe Money.

I think its much more likely that the 4 finalists talked about what a great job Dale did during their interviews and said they would be fine with him as their hitting coach.

I'm not broken hearted about Listach being out. Like I said, I kind of have a bad taste in my mouth from his playing career. He had the nice rookie season, got a contract extension and disappeared. I know that he was playing way over his head in '92, but still. He never struck me as an overly 'heady' player anyway. Back in that era, the one guy that struck me as a future manager was Surhoff (there's an outside the box candidate for you).
Somewhere in there was an injury in an end-of-spring-training exhibition game in Las Vegas (seems to me it was against Seattle, in the same series where Edgar Martinez blew out his knee & subsequently was fated to become a full-time DH for the remainder of his career), after which Listach's career was never the same.

I doubt Listach just coasted after his contract extension. He wasn't known as that kind of person. His SB success rate stayed good for the rest of his career, but he never hit again like he did as a rookie, which suggests that his great rookie year hitting may have been a fluke.

I'm not broken hearted about Listach being out. Like I said, I kind of have a bad taste in my mouth from his playing career. He had the nice rookie season, got a contract extension and disappeared. I know that he was playing way over his head in '92, but still. He never struck me as an overly 'heady' player anyway. Back in that era, the one guy that struck me as a future manager was Surhoff (there's an outside the box candidate for you).
Somewhere in there was an injury in an end-of-spring-training exhibition game in Las Vegas (seems to me it was against Seattle, in the same series where Edgar Martinez blew out his knee & subsequently was fated to become a full-time DH for the remainder of his career), after which Listach's career was never the same.

I doubt Listach just coasted after his contract extension. He wasn't known as that kind of person. His SB success rate stayed good for the rest of his career, but he never hit again like he did as a rookie, which suggests that his great rookie year hitting may have been a fluke.

I'm not sure that I could say he coasted because there were was a legit knee injury. However, it just seemed like he could never get it rehabbed and get back on the field, and when he did play, he was brutal. He even ended up failing the physical (can't remember if it was the knee or what) when he was traded to the Yankees, and the Brewers had to kick Ricky Bones in.

At any rate, this is why you don't give a Rookie of the Year a contract extension immediately. Bando attempted to emulate the 'Cleveland model' and failed miserably.

His career was pretty much defined by BABIP. He always had a 7-9% BB rate and it flucated year to year with no pattern. He always struck out about the same amount. his ISO spiked just based on how many HR he happened to hit in a given year. The only stat that really fluctuated for him was AVG. His completely unsustainable .366 BABIP led to the good AVG in 1992. Most likely he really was about a .250 hitter with no power his entire career and just got lucky with balls finding holes a couple seasons. Those types of players are heavily at the mercy of BABIP in general.

I'm not sure that I could say he coasted because there were was a legit knee injury. However, it just seemed like he could never get it rehabbed and get back on the field, and when he did play, he was brutal. He even ended up failing the physical (can't remember if it was the knee or what) when he was traded to the Yankees, and the Brewers had to kick Ricky Bones in.

At any rate, this is why you don't give a Rookie of the Year a contract extension immediately. Bando attempted to emulate the 'Cleveland model' and failed miserably.

It was a totally legit knee/leg injury. The field conditions in Las Vegas were horrible. That lousy field in those 2-3 exhibition games also changed Edgar Martinez's whole career. . . . And I also agree that the nice extension Listach got was more than a large leap of faith given that he'd never hit so well in the minors.

I loved that Yankees trade. That was the best one of 3 solid late-summer trades Bando made in '96:

- Vaughn wasn't re-signing for an affordable figure; we got Florie (decent reliever & spot starter), Villone (ditto), & Newfield (dud, should've been better, little legal/judgement issue)

- Listach & Lloyd sent to the Yankees for Bob Wickman (solid set-up & eventual closer) & Gerald Williams (the lesser Williams in the NY OF, but still a Gold Glove caliber defender) -- Listach turned out to be injured, so they got Bones; who was terrible by then, too; Lloyd was the only guy in those 3 trades they arguable should've & realistically could've kept

- Seitzer (who was likely to retire, though he still played another year for Cleveland) to Cleveland for Jeromy Burnitz

It was a totally legit knee/leg injury. The field conditions in Las Vegas were horrible. That lousy field in those 2-3 exhibition games also changed Edgar Martinez's whole career. . . . And I also agree that the nice extension Listach got was more than a large leap of faith given that he'd never hit so well in the minors.

I loved that Yankees trade. That was the best one of 3 solid late-summer trades Bando made in '96:

- Vaughn wasn't re-signing for an affordable figure; we got Florie (decent reliever & spot starter), Villone (ditto), & Newfield (dud, should've been better, little legal/judgement issue)

- Listach & Lloyd sent to the Yankees for Bob Wickman (solid set-up & eventual closer) & Gerald Williams (the lesser Williams in the NY OF, but still a Gold Glove caliber defender) -- Listach turned out to be injured, so they got Bones; who was terrible by then, too; Lloyd was the only guy in those 3 trades they arguable should've & realistically could've kept

- Seitzer (who was likely to retire, though he still played another year for Cleveland) to Cleveland for Jeromy Burnitz

Yes, I do not doubt that it was an absolutely legitimate injury- my last post was worded badly. Two of those three trades were steals, one was pretty bad. I'd give the Seitzer/Burnitz trade a slight edge over the Yankees deal, but not much. I remember Newfield playing pretty well in late season '96. Actually, I was thinking he didn't start stinking up the joint (pun intended) until busted with the delivery at the team motel. Villone was OK. He lasted forever, but was pretty mediocre for the Crew. Florie was turned into Mike Myers if I recall correctly, and was effective until he took a nasty liner in the face. Bando actually made some decent trades, but too many colossal blunders and horible draft picks.

Haudricourt: "I was just told by

a very good source that Dodgers Triple-A manager Tim Wallach is not one

of the four finalists for Brewers' managerial job."

So that means one of the finalists is indeed a name we haven't heard yet. Melvin, Cora and either Roenicke or another mystery man are the other three guys.

Roenicke won't comment. He's the Brewers' next manager.

I seriously believe this. If he's trying this hard to hide it, he must be the next manager.

That said, I would love to have Roenicke. Just... not... Bob Melvin.

i really wonder who is the 4th guy

It's Hulk Hogan! Actually I think he was the mystery 3rd man but anyways...

Since Doug won't comment I'm going to guess former Brewer or former Ranger. Possible candidates:

Robin Yount

Paul Molitor

Bill Schroeder

Jeff Cirillo

Bobby Valentine

Kevin Kennedy

If Bill Schroeder becomes the next manager I will riot.

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

Archived