Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If asked I could clear my schedule next spring. I'll work cheap (3 yrs, $1.5M) and be a fan favorite because I'll show "fire" and emotion". Most importantly, I have playing experience and know exactly what it's like to plunk 3 batters in a row and feel no remorse whatsoever. Sure, I was a hard throwing 8-year-old with fastballl control issues at the time, but at least the players will know I have their backs. I've also work on the field with future major league players and a World Series-winning manager (as minor league bat boy) and received an advanced degree in basball wisdom here at bf.net. Not only that, I've umped organized games, too.

Competence, economy, "fire" and credibility built on experience. Can't miss.

If asked I could clear my schedule next spring. I'll work cheap (3 yrs, $1.5M) and be a fan favorite because I'll show "fire" and emotion". Most importantly, I have playing experience and know exactly what it's like to plunk 3 batters in a row and feel no remorse whatsoever. Sure, I was a hard throwing 8-year-old with fastballl control issues at the time, but at least the players will know I have their backs. I've also work on the field with future major league players and a World Series-winning manager (as minor league bat boy) and received an advanced degree in basball wisdom here at bf.net. Not only that, I've umped organized games, too.

Competence, economy, "fire" and credibility built on experience. Can't miss.

Sorry, but that doesn't trump Macha. He worked for the immortal Billy Beane. Just sitting in a room with Beane increases anyone's baseball IQ by 25%.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know who the next manager will be but I want him fired....NOW.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes, how about discussing who should replace the next manager when they finally fire the bum. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I had thought the same thing regarding Randolph (that he was brought in as a virtual insurance policy in case they had to fire Macha mid-season), but with all of Melvin's comments recently about not liking the idea of interim managers, I'm starting to think differently.

While I think Randolph was run out of town pretty quickly in New York and will get another chance to manage somewhere, I'm not convinced he's in the Brewers' plans. If Macha is allowed to walk in the offseason, I imagine they'll give him an interview or two, but I do think Melvin would be more inclined to reach outside of the organization again.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yes, how about discussing who should replace the next manager when they finally fire the bum. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Pretty sure I want him fired too. :0
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My vote is for The Doorman. In the event they can't afford him, I'd go with either Sveum or Randolph. They seem reasonable enough and get along with the players. Who knows if it translates into a good manager. Unless we get some pitching it won't matter.

I just want Melvin to put a hard 90 pitch limit on Gallardo for the lame duck session.

Pretty sure I want him fired too. :0

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif

I like the suggestions of Valentine, Gonzalez and Listach. I like Dale as well. It seems that he has the players respect. I can't tell you the specifics any more but I remember some negative articles about Macha last year and it seemed from the article that Sveum was Macha's communicator. In other words it seems that Dale has been more than a hitting coach and may have kept Macha's boat from sinking. I don't think that I would like Don Money. Too many of our minor league players come to the big leagues with poor fundamentals despite spending a number of years in our system. This may not be fair to Don but I don't know why you promote someone from a minor league system that may have weak coaching.

This occurs to me about Gonzalez. If he had a problem with Hanley not hustling to get a ball, he'd probably have a big problem with Braun's lack of hustle in LF. I just wonder what he would do about that...

Other than that, though, I really like Gonzalez. Fredi, Sveum, and Listach as three guys that I would love to have as our manager.

Bobby Valintine. The guy is arrogant and opinionated. But he is also innovative, and a great in game strategist. Let's shake the team up. I think it would be great. Valintine would love to prove his genius to the world, and would be supremely motivated. Roll the dice!

I want a cheap manager who's willing to take some chances on sabermetric principles. I'm betting anything there's a minor league manager somewhere who could do that. Give him $500k, and see what he can do.

As far as names, I don't really have any. If Manny Acta was available, I'd say he'd be a good candidate, but I doubt he'll be available.

I'm for Bobby!
I've been a fan of his for a long time. The job he did in Japan was amazing. It was huge mistake for his team, and the league, to let him go. He was a tremendous asset to all of Japanese baseball. I think the way he throws himself into the position is exactly what Mil. needs and will make for a successful combination.

i recently finished the book 9 Innings, which a bf poster recommended. it attributed Kuenn's success replacing Rodgers primarily from bringing in a change in attitude and behaviour in the clubhouse. the author said that if it was Rodgers replacing Kuenn, the results of that 82 season might very well have been the same. so when i think about new managers i don't think so much about specific qualifications like Money and Sveum certainly have, but just someone who has a personality that's mostly the opposite of Macha. Valentine comes to mind because i think an arrogant and cocky attitude would fit well with the personalities of the stars on this team. at the same time, i really do wonder why it is that he's been out of MLB for so many years.

Archived