Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what Bobby Valentine brings to the table . . .

1) The most brilliant in-game strategist amongst all managers (in other words, the exact opposite of Ned Yost)

2) A winning track record and lots of experience . . including Japanese knowledge and insights

3) High profile name recognition and media buzz that would help raise our franchise profile nationally (which is the opposite of everyone we have ever hired before)

4) Local enthsuiasm that would bring credibility and excite the fan base to help sell more tickets (i,.e. the opposite of Bob Melvin who excites absolutely nobody)

5) Energy, passion, ethusiasm, and personality (in other words, the opposite of Ken Macha)

6) Swagger (think Ryan Braun !!!)

Here is what other managerial candidates bring to the table . . .

1) Nothing

2) Nothing

3) Nothing

4) Nothing

CASE CLOSED !!!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd be fine with Valentine. At least he'd be interesting.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Alex Cora is also on the docket to be interviewed.

I don't really have a strong preference of any of these guys, but they are certainly doing their due diligence. At least it guarantees Bob freaking Brenly won't be a finalist this time around.

While having both Cora brothers on the coaching staff would be interesting, I'm not sure Alex Cora has decided to retire and go into managing yet. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

As for Bobby V, sign me up. He certainly would bring the flair to this team that Ken Macha absolutely lacked, and I think he would be able to get along with the young, aloof (for lack of a better word) players on this team. I doubt he'd manage here, but who knows, maybe he views us as a better option than the other two teams (Mariners and Jays) that he has been rumored with.

One thing I would be concerned about with Bobby Valentine is that he appears to be more in love with the idea of managing, rather than actually managing. He was rumored to be the top candidate in Florida twice now, and has pulled out of that job both times. He was interested in the Cleveland job last winter, then went into the interview admitting he didn't bother to research the team and didn't really know anything about the organization.

The hire would definitely grab headlines and fans who wanted Macha to go out and kick, scream, and argue whenever there was a questionable call would get their wish, but I don't know how different he would be in terms of strategy and bullpen management.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, the thing that worries me about Valentine is that he seems more interested in promoting himself than actually becoming an MLB manager again. He might be expensive too, since he already has a nice gig with ESPN. I'm not saying we should cheap out on a manager, but paying him a huge salary would possibly limit other moves down the line.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If Bobby Valentine is actually interested in managing, wouldn't he top everyone's list? I don't see why he'd choose Milwaukee.
We have to get past this inferiority complex. Granted, Milwaukee may not be appealing to today's athlete because of the lack of nightlife and endorsement opportunities. I can't see that as being as much of an issue to a 60 some year old guy, Milwaukee is a pretty pleasant place to spend a summer. Valentine was willing to manage in the remote outpost of Chiba City, Japan, so why not Milwaukee? Going further, in my opinion- based on talent alone, the Brewers job should be one of the most, if not the most appealing jobs open right now. I think that the Brewers have much more already in place than the other teams linked with Valentine, plus they have an owner that has shown that he is willing to spend to improve the team. You also have to consider the fact that there would be much less pressure to win in Milwaukee as opposed to some of the big markets (basically the polar opposite of what he saw in New York).

Managerial salaries aren't anything out of line, and offering a three year deal for Latroy Hawkins money would probably get the job done. I would guess that in Valentine's case the Mariners may have a leg up because of their Japanese connection and the fact that he briefly played there. Obviously, his dream job is the Dodgers job, but that's not going to be open anytime in the near future.

If Bobby Valentine is actually interested in managing, wouldn't he top everyone's list? I don't see why he'd choose Milwaukee.
We have to get past this inferiority complex.
I didn't mean the city of Milwaukee or anything like that. I mean the team itself. Seattle has some great pitching, Ichiro (the Japanese link), and a higher payroll ceiling. The Mets and Cubs have more money available as well. He has a better chance to win in those places in all likelihood. And for all we know, he might prefer Toronto for the chance to win in the best division. If he doesn't win there, he has a built-in excuse.

I'm rooting for Valentine, with Cora as my second choice. Cora would be a real shocker though considering D Melvin's preference for experience. The smart money is on B Melvin
Since it seems that Sveum or Randolph aren't even going to get an opportunity to interview, I'd agree with you on your order of preference.

The [snip] Cubs have more money available as well. He has a better chance to win in those places in all likelihood.
100+ years of futility tells me otherwise. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I gotta say if a manager is looking for the team with the best chance to win Milwaukee has to be near or at the top of the list.

Chicago - some talent but a mess in general, can spend money for upgrades though

Mets - basically same as the Cubs

Seattle - great pitching but not much else, 2009 was probably a fluke

Pittsburgh - no chance to win anytime soon

Toronto - good team but can't compete in the AL East

Florida - maybe the best chance to win but an owner who you never know what he will commit to do

Arizona - Gibson pretty much guaranteed the job if he doesn't have it already, plus somewhat rebuilding

If a manager was looking for a job that would offer the chance to compete now Milwaukee would have to be at least second on that list unless they are drinking the big market (Chicago, NYC) koolaid.

Archived