Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
My first choice would be Sveum.
I really like Sveum but I can't really find it in me to support him as the next manager of the Brewers. I'm not sure why although I suspect it has something to do with the only managerial decision I remember from him.....starting Suppan rather than Gallardo in Game 4.

Didn't he also decide to put Mike Cameron and his steller .330ish OBP as the leadoff hitter because of his veteraness?

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't he also decide to put Mike Cameron and his steller .330ish OBP as the leadoff hitter because of his veteraness?

I don't think there was really a clearly better option, and Cameron certainly offered strengths beyond his OBP.

That wasn't as bad as him playing Durham in almost every single game even though his body couldn't take it

I see Durham starting 7 of 12 games, and his OPS being slightly higher at the end of season than before Sveum took over.

and Durham missed games because he was injured from playing to much. Weeks also was hitting very well in the last month of the season. He started to hit well about a year after his injury. There was no reaso to play Durham that much. He wasn't playing more than a couple times a week before Svuem took over.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If you are playing closer to half the games than all the games in a certain time period, you are in no way playing almost all the games. Durham was a better player than Weeks in 2008, and Sveum used him in the way he thought would help the Brewers win. I see that as a point in his favor, and would need to see actual evidence presented that this should be counted against him.

He went from playing once or twice a week to 5 times a week. His body couldn't and din't hold up. Weeks was still recovering from the wrist injury he suffered the previous year. By the end of the season Weeks was a better player. His stats were mostly dragged down by playing less than 100% for most of the year.

I blame Wang.

Durham never started 5 games a week for Sveum, so I'm not really sure why it's relevant to whatever you are trying to say.

Durham was a switch hitter, and a better choice versus a RHP than Weeks.

9/16 Dempster RHP

9/17 Marquis, RHP

9/18 Harden, RHP

9/19 Ramirez, RHP

9/23 Karstens, RHP

9/26 Dempster, RHP

9/28 Guzman, RHP

People on this forum were begging Yost to give Weeks a rest by the time Ned was replaced. Pretty disingenuous to criticize Sveum for benching Weeks, IMHO.
Some people maybe. Not me.

I blame Wang.

Anyone else find it funny how the media is claiming that Bob Melvin is the favorite for the job, when he HASN'T EVEN INTERVIEWED FOR THE JOB?! Not only has he not interviewed, he hasn't even been asked to come in for an interview. xD

That said, I also wouldn't have a problem with Bob Melvin managing the team. I've spoken to the few D-Backs fans out there, and they all loved the guy. Never a bad thing to say about him.

He went from playing once or twice a week to 5 times a week. His body couldn't and din't hold up. Weeks was still recovering from the wrist injury he suffered the previous year. By the end of the season Weeks was a better player. His stats were mostly dragged down by playing less than 100% for most of the year.

Not true. Weeks suffered his first wrist injury in 2006. He was perfectly healthy in 2008 outside of a minor knee injury in June. His starts were dragged down by a very unlucky start to the season.

When Svuem took over, Durham and Weeks were in a strict platoon.

Gobias Industries wrote:

Not true. Weeks suffered his first wrist injury in 2006. He was perfectly healthy in 2008 outside of a minor knee injury in June. His starts were dragged down by a very unlucky start to the season.

When Svuem took over, Durham and Weeks were in a strict platoon.

I guess I was off by a year then. It wasn't a strict platoon until Svuem took over though unless for some odd reason we face more than half left handed pitchers after acquiring Durham.

I blame Wang.

kramnoj[/b]]Didn't he also decide to put Mike Cameron and his steller .330ish OBP as the leadoff hitter because of his veteraness?

I don't think there was really a clearly better option, and Cameron certainly offered strengths beyond his OBP.

And those strengths played very well in the outfield and out of the 5 spot in the order. As a leadoff hitter, not so much.

I don't want to get into a debate on how to pick a leadoff hitter, but I value OBP over everything else for that slot in the order. It would appear as though Dale did not since there were plenty of other options. Durham, Weeks, Counsell, Gross, Hardy, Kapler, even Crazy Joe Dillon all had higher OBPs than Cameron that year (I don't remember if all of those guys were still with the team at the end, but just saying that there were better options). Not to mention, Cam really slumped that last month of 2008, posting an OBP of .257 and an OPS of .510.

I remember thinking it was a poor strategic move at the time and I still think it was. I also remember Dale being interviewed on the move before his first game as head coach and he said the reason was to get a veteran up at the top of the lineup.

I really don't see how that move can be defended. Again, no thanks.

I guess my point is that I don't think he should have. Durham couldn't hold up to being the big half of a platoon. Svuem played small ball and put 2 of his better hitters at the bottom of the order(Weeks, Hardy) when they should have been at the top. He also started Suppan in a playoff game when Gallardo was available. He managed like he thought being a veteran meant more than actual talent. Weeks/Duham at the top followed by Hardy worked well enough even though I disagreed with a strict platoon. He actually batted Hall #2. Over those few games the changes may not have had much impact. I would actually argue they didn't. They would however be terrible of an entire season.

I blame Wang.

trwi7[/b]]
thebruce44[/b]]Not to mention, Cam really slumped that last month of 2008, posting an OBP of .257 and an OPS of .510.
Pretty much the whole offense slumped in September.
For the most part, yes. But...

Weeks in Sep 2008: .415 OPB, .944 OPS

Durham in Sep 2008: .407 OBP, .956 OPS

Counsell in Sep 2008: .450 OBP, .694 OPS

Kapler in Sept 2008: .400, 1.015 OPS (in 15 PAs)

I think Dale felt like he had to make some changes. To me though, the changes that he made (while minor in overall effect since it was only over a handful of games) and the reasons he gave for making those changes show his inability to make sound tactical decisions as an MLB manager.

Edit: Obviously this suffers from small samples sizes. I think the point is still valid though that Cam wasn't the best choice to be a leadoff hitter.

It's not like he dropped Weeks/Durham to 7th or 8th in the order. They were batting 2nd. I'm not exactly sure what you wanted him to do? Bat Kendall or Counsell 2nd? Move Hardy up to 2nd? Then that means the lineup ends after Fielder pretty much with Cameron struggling, Hart flailing at every pitch, Counsell and Kendall uses spaghetti as bats and the pitcher's spot.

trwi7[/b]]It's not like he dropped Weeks/Durham to 7th or 8th in the order. They were batting 2nd. I'm not exactly sure what you wanted him to do? Bat Kendall or Counsell 2nd? Move Hardy up to 2nd? Then that means the lineup ends after Fielder pretty much with Cameron struggling, Hart flailing at every pitch, Counsell and Kendall uses spaghetti as bats and the pitcher's spot.
Weeks did bat 7th so that Bill Hall and his .293 OBP could bat in the 2 hole. A few times he did have Durham or Counsell in the 2 spot. It was clear that his criteria for the top of the lineup was time in the league as opposed to skill set. I think its pretty obvious what I wanted him to do from my posts, not put a guy in the leadoff spot because of how long he had been in the league.

I don't really want to get into a huge debate about this. I am just saying that in the few chances Dale got to set the lineup he showed some serious tactical errors in my opinion. His way of shaking things up wasn't what I would have preferred, and from posting on several sites with you over the last couple of years I am surprised you disagree.

Archived