Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage

TH in his blog, quotes some of the things Melvin said he is looking for in the next Brewer manager,

When asked about criteria he might use in selecting a replacement for Ken Macha, Melvin said, "The first criteria would be is he a winning manager? It’s going to be hard to match Ken’s record but other things will come into play. Is the person going to be someone that’s aggressive with our ball club? The running game, do we want that kind of individual? Do I want someone that’s only managed or coached in the American League? That could come into play.

“You can put about five things down, criteria, that could eliminate a lot of people. We want to be open-minded to it. The main thing is I’d like to get someone with experience that has managed before. But that’s not necessarily the case. If the right guy came along that hadn’t managed before and I think he’s an up-and-comer and I think he fits our style of ball club, that could come into play.”

Trying to read between the lines, looks like Melvin is looking for a manager with experience, has a winning record or has won in the past, has managed in the national league, can be an aggressive manager and will use more of the running game.

TH lists the following as possible, "Candidates who fit that bill include Bob Melvin, Don Baylor and Clint Hurdle..."

A couple names that could fit those criterias would be Phil Garner as has been mentioned, though have to wonder if Mark Attanasio would approve bringing back a Brewer manager from the lean years of the 90's.

Davey Johnson could fit those criterias, but it has been so long since he has managed in the majors.

There's also Tony LaRussa and Joe Torre, but both would probably be long shots as well. Tony LaRussa would probably fit best what Melvin is looking for though.

A couple names that have also been mentioned here as well might fit, Grady Little and Bobby Valentine.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lots of chatter on Chicago radio that Brenly is the guy. That would really suck. REALLY suck.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It doesn't line up with what I perceive to be Doug's m.o. to go from (officially) declining Ken's option on a Monday to having Brenly, or most anyone else, in the fold by the following Thursday. If anything, I think Doug will take his time, and I hope he will since it's probably his last chance to pick a field manager for the Brewers.

Combine that with Invader3k's suggestion that Brenly himself might have planted the rumor to make him seem more in demand, and I find myself not panicking.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

About Brenly...

there aren't enough facepalms on Google image search to express my feelings about him.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/179/37dce1be436d.jpg
That is a good start.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

jsonline reporting the brewers had atleast contact with Juan Samuel.
Does Samuel have any managing experience whatsoever, or is his experience limited to being a professional butt-slapper (base coach)? I didn't think that I could hear a name that would be worse than Brenly, but Samuel may be.

jsonline reporting the brewers had atleast contact with Juan Samuel.
Does Samuel have any managing experience whatsoever, or is his experience limited to being a professional butt-slapper (base coach)? I didn't think that I could hear a name that would be worse than Brenly, but Samuel may be.
I don't know anything about Samuel's coaching style or managerial ability. That already makes him a better candidate than Brenly.

Samuel managed Birmingham, the Mets AA team, to a 70-70 record in 2006. Carlos Gomez was on that team and it was undoubtedly his best season as a pro.

Unlocking the untapped ability in Gomez and Escobar who have the most room for improvement is not a bad idea and having a Latin manager just might be the ticket. One things for sure, if his playing days are any indication, Samuel will take a lot more chances on the bases.

I see Samuel put up a .333 record as interim manager in Baltimore this season. That and a .500 record in one season at a AA squad does not make me feel that he's a viable candidate. The fact that he has chosen to coach in the majors rather than manage in the minors tell me that he wasn't willing to pay his dues. Going further, I'm not interested in hiring a manager based on the needs of Gomez and Escobar.

I am not trying to be a downer but look back in this thread. People are talking about getting Freddi Gonzalez, Joe Torre, etc. We should be talking about people like Samuel. We are not going to get a top notch manager just like we cannot get a top free agent to come here. We are the Brewers. I agree, it sucks. This is the team we chose to root for.

Juan Samuel makes no sense to me. Melvin talks about guys w/ experience and also guys who have been winning managers. Juan Samuel's Orioles were putrid during his Interim tenure. Buck Showalter came in the took the same team to an incredible record over the rest of the year. That alone tells me Juan Samuel is no winning manager. This would be right up there with hiring Rene Lachemann for 1984 and touting his virtues after he was fired after a lousy tenure in Seattle. Good luck getting a job elsewhere, Mr. Samuel.

Samuel's winning percentage of .333 was better than Dave Trembley's .277, and the O's did sweep 4 from the Rangers during his tenure.

As to my point about Escobar and Gomez, it's that you look at areas where the Brewers can improve over 2010. One is SS, and it's likely that is going to have to be Escobar stepping up. I for one don't think Macha was the type that was going to get the best out of Escobar and that's one reason he's gone. Cain could well be source of improvement in CF but jury is out there too over a full season.

hiring a re-tread can work out. the last 2 times the bucks were good they had a retread coach in karl and skiles. I think if you find someone that has had success in the past and maybe lost their team but learned from it, it can work out. That being said who the mlb equivalent of those guys are besides valentine, I'm not sure who that would be.

Good point on re-treads, Patrick. I thought the Pats were nuts to hire Belichek after his Cleveland stint, so even past success isn't always a necessity. Just finding the right fit who learned from past experiences could be the way to go.

Archived