Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Haudricourt on twitter;

Brewers GM Doug Melvin just denied the report that Bob Brenly will be the next manager. Said he hasn't interviewed anybody. So false alarm.

More ----

Melvin had this to say about Brenly rumor: "Unless somebody else has been doing the hiring process, that's not true."

"Just another rumor to squelch" Melvin said about the Brenly report, and he sounded a bit incredulous. Can't say I blame him.

Brewers GM Doug Melvin says his focus is "to go outside" to look for a new manager. That's bad news for Willie Randolph, Dale Sveum.

No, MLB has a minority hiring process as well, but I'm not aware of the specifics.

I have never heard of an explicit rule -- but I certainly could be not up to date.

I'm pretty sure they do in fact have to interview at least one minority candidate, unless they are hiring an internal candidate.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This Brew Beat entry makes it seem not as final, hawing said hopefully.

Brenly? Ick. Maybe they're trying to rile us up before making a bland choice that, in comparison, would seem palatable, or less repulsive.

Didn't Brenly have a couple of epicly unprofessional things to say about the Brewers during one of their series against the Cubs this season?

I just can't see him getting the job. He's a clown.

Didn't Brenly have a couple of epicly unprofessional things to say about the Brewers during one of their series against the Cubs this season?

He said that Cubs pitchers should drill Braun every chance they get.

Because he was "hamming and egging" it around the bases.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Brenly regarded as one of the worst tachtical managers in the game?

I can't stand his personality as well, but I can get past that if he is a good coach. I don't think that applies to Brenly though.

WSSP has updated their website and Melvin made it pretty clear that not only was the Brenly rumor incorrect, but made it pretty clear that he doesn't think Brenly is going to be the next manager. Here is the post they left, along with a short 25 second clip they also posted of Melvin making a comment about the Brenly rumor in which he states that Brenly is not even on their radar and not a way they will go.

"Milwaukee Brewers General Manager Doug Melvin told WSSP he has yet to talk to any managerial candidates. Melvin says the process will take a few weeks and that he doesn't antcipate Bob Brenly to be the team's next manager."

http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/doug/100710Melvincut.MP3

I don't have any idea of who specifically I want but I know the qualities I would be looking for. A manger who relates well to his player yet doesn't allow a country club atmosphere. One who lets his starting pitchers work through trouble early in the game even if it means they sometimes let the game get out of hand. It should be the starters job to go at least 5 every game and should be expected to go six or more routinely. On occasion a pitcher may just not have it so I get it cannot be set in stone but I want them to be left in longer than Macha did. I want them to give their releivers roles so they can mentally prepare for the game accordingly. I am not a fan of going with the hot hand for relievers since hot hands are ever changing and it leads to what I thought was Macha's worst characteristic. Over working a pitcher for a month then letting him rot in the pen the next. Consistent work is the best way to have a consistent pen IMHO. Sometimes it will bite you but so has the hot hand approach. Someone who lets an offensive player work through tough stretches but still make the earn their playing time.

Overall I think in game strategy is not all that important versus how he handles the players. Obviously I would rather a great strategist than a poor one but it is far down on my priority list. I don't really care about how much they hit and run, play small ball or sit and wait for the 3 run homer. Really don't think one style is better than the other. Hopefully the manager will understand the player strengths and weaknesses and plays to them which I guess goes more toward player handling than strategy.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Don't think this has been posted yet. Per TH, Randolph "disappointed" not to be considered.

Randolph interviewed for the job two years ago when Macha was hired. Randolph was offered the job as bench coach and accepted, and after two years on the job hoped he would be considered for the managerial opening. Randolph previously managed the New York Mets and Macha recently said he hoped Randolph would get another chance.

"I am a little disappointed," said Randolph. "I'd love to have a chance to manage the team.

"Doug said he's not going to bring me in for the manager change. He said the new person that came in would be open (to keeping some coaches). I'm not really interested in coming back as a coach. My focus right now is to try to get back into managing.

"They didn't owe me anything. I learned a lot when I was there and continued to grow. Being there the last two years, I got a feel and sense of what the team is all about. (The opening) was intriguing to me but nobody guaranteed me anythng.

"I enjoyed my time in Milwaukee tremendously. We didn't do as well as we thought we should have as a team. I just hope and pray I get another change to manage. That's where my focus is right now. I don't see myself coming back as a bench coach."

I emphasized that last line, since Randolph's work with Rickie Weeks has been invaluable. Hopefully those lessons have stuck with Rickie, and the next infield coach won't try to change him much.

And, fwiw, TH also called the Brenly rumor "silly", so I think we can breathe a collective sigh of relief.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator
Ya, no thanks to Brenly. Don't know why Randolph isn't getting a chance, I don't see us bringing in anybody better.
If we agree that we want to move a different direction from the Macha era, a good way to start would be to not hire Macha's #2 man.

Don't know why Randolph isn't getting a chance, I don't see us bringing in anybody better.

He didn't get along with all the players in NY which is the issue Macha had here. Whether that would happen here or not is not certain but it is kind of silly to fire one guy only to hire someone with the same baggage. I agree with a clean break. The one thing I think Melvin did last time around was narrow his search too much. He did the same thing as Ron Wolf did when hiring Rhodes and got the same results.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

What about a guy like Clint Hurdle. While his resume for wins and losses isn't the prettiest (barring the 15 game winning streak in 07 to get them into the playoffs and World Series), his players really went to bat for him when he was fired. I don't know how much weight to put on wins and losses for the manager so just the fact the players like him, certainly would be an improvement over Macha. He now is the hitting coach for the Rangers and obviously that is their strength, all be it in a hitter's park. Just wondering what others thoughts were on him?

I want 2 managers, dont care for big names. I want a solid tactical guy, who has been coaching for years, maybe even a college coach. The other guy I want is an outgoing quirky guy who can deal with the media & players egos. I want these 2 guys to be joined at the hip. Just my thought.

Archived