Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I still expect another "baseball guy" hired to manage by Melvin, I did find this snippet from McCalvy's blog interesting:

Macha turned 60 during the team's final homestand, and he was leading a team that had no regular starting position players older than 28. Was there some sort of generational gap?

"If that's an issue, then I think it's an issue that players have to understand, too. Look at all of those managers going to postseason, they're all experienced guys. They're all hardcore, down to earth, baseball guys, very similar to Ken. Today's players are a little bit different, I've always said that. ... I know the NBA goes to a lot of hiring of young head coaches. In baseball, you look at the experience of some of the guys. Was there a communication gap there? There might have been."

--------------------------------

Melvin plans to take his time hiring the next Brewers manager. He wouldn't say whether previous big league experience was a prerequisite or if he would seek somebody fresh.

"That's what we're going through right now," Melvin said. "We're discussing that. There are a lot of qualities involved with a manager. Do you want an older guy? A younger guy? A proven guy? Obviously, to get a guy who's won more games than Ken Macha is going to be tough, with him being sixth on the list. That's going to be hard to find."

I'm not exactly sure how to read this, and that, but it looks like there's a sliver of a chance Melvin might not require a managerial candidate to be experienced this go-round. That would be interesting.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator

The idea that he would even consider taking his time and looking at a broad range of candidates is excellent. It seems like the current list that we have generated is mostly speculation and that the Brewers have not made any decisions about their coaching staff.

Remember, the Melvin that hired Macha is the same Melvin that went for young, inexperienced Ned Yost. You also can bet that Attanasio will have a say in the decision process.

One disappointing aspect is that Wallach will likely be taken by the Blue Jays before Melvin gets a chance to interview him.

He managed successful teams and no matter what there are always going to be a lot of people who think managers who manage winning teams are good.

Like Doug Melvin

Sad but true. I said it last time after Ned was fired but we are not going to get a good manager hired if Melvin is the one doing the hiring. So would 27 other GM's.

We should go with these as guidlines

OWBC's rules for hiring a new manager:

1) Never played for the Brewers

2) Never worked for ESPN

3) Was not already interviewed by Melvin in 2003 or 2008

4) Not a current member of the Brewers' organization

5)not recently a manager for another organization

but will probably go with these

1)experienced

2)winner

Melvin has hired, what, 4 managers in his entire GM career? Johnny Oates, Yost, Dale, and Macha. From that track record I find it hard to say he only looks at previous experience and winners.

RockCoCougars wrote:

Look at the pitching that Valentine inherited with the Mets.

4.22 ERA in '96. 3.95 ERA in '97. A few new guys and a few moved between the pen and starting. Nothing any other manager wouldn't have done in that position.

Macha may have been a 'winner' before he came to Milwaukee, but in my opinion, there are three reasons for that: Hudson, Zito and Mulder.
Mulder and Hudson were only there for 2 of Macha's years in Oakland. You are obviously entitled to your opinion but I think you are using selective memory.

Melvin has hired, what, 4 managers in his entire GM career? Johnny Oates, Yost, Dale, and Macha. From that track record I find it hard to say he only looks at previous experience and winners.
I am mostly going off of things Melvin has said more than his previous hires. We are at a different stage as a team right now than when most of those guys were hired. I am also not sure I would technically count Svuem amongst the hires. He was more a guy who happened to be around knew the players well. Given the job because bringing a guy in would have disrupted things to much.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I have a question. Why does everyone like Bobby Valentine so much?

I like any manager that would get ejected from a game, put on a disguise and sneak back into the dugout.

http://wtfbaseball.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/bobby_valentine_fake_mustache.jpg

The Brewers' next manager has to have a surname that can be easily made into an unflattering verb by fans. "Yosted" is clearly the gold standard example. "Macha-ed" really didn't flow (which possibly describes his managerial era as a whole). "Roystered" would have been great - and we would have had so many opportunities to use it, had we thought of it during those dark days. "Lopesed" is awkward to say. So let's see...

Melvined (good because it would serve a dual purpose every time one of us uttered or typed it)

Valentined

Brenly'd (sounds OK but looks awkward spelled out)

Listached

Randolphed

Sveumed

Moneyed (which has the bonus of also being a word in the dictionary)

Sandberged

Though there are many other factors to consider (and frankly give more weight to), it would be nice if the Brewers gave some thought to fans who talk about this stuff on the internet. I know at least one moderator who, if she absolutely must read through a ton of uncomplimentary posts about a manager, would appreciate it being someone with a name or nickname that doesn't gall her. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Ted Simmons won't be back with the Padres. I wouldn't mind him, although he was part of the Yost brain trust that blew up and now the bench coach for the padres that couldn't seal the deal either.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

As expected, bench coach Ted Simmons won't return in 2011. Simmons wants to be a Major League manager. Simmons and Padres first-base coach Rick Renteria as well as hitting coach Randy Ready are expected to get interviews of managerial openings in the coming weeks

I wasn't thinking about Randy Ready, i think he would be a good choice. i think they need to go with a young fiery manager, pretty much a ned yost that knows how to handle a pitching staff and doesn't mess with the lineup.
Randy Ready isn't young by any means. He was a bust here as a player over 25 years ago, and he will be 51 next opening day (my how time flies). Since 60 is the new 50, I'd rather go with Money. I'd have some interest in Simmons, but I'm not sure he'd want to come back here after the way things shook down with Yost.

The last guy I want is Money. He already drove me nuts as Nashville's manager. He should be replaced, not promoted. His supposed strength is teaching defensive fundamentals, and all our players played for him in the minors. Clearly, those teachings weren't effective, and he's a brutal strategist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd like a young guy with a sense of humor and lots of positive energy. And before you say "Sounds like Ned Yost!", I also want him to be smart.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

How about Rays bench coach Dave Martinez? I always hear good things about him. He is young, been a bench coach for 4 years and has worked under Joe Maddon one of the best managers in the game who is well known for his great handling of players and the clubhouse. I don’t think I have heard anyone mention Martinez. But I think he should get a shot.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think they should hire Brewerfan.net has the next manager. We could just have polls before and during the games to determine lineups and pitching moves. The question is, who would be the first brave soul to start a Fire Brewerfan.net thread?

I'm still hoping for a probability/stats computer. We could have a clubhouse manager responsible for workouts, practice, chemistry, etc... The computer could have a manager override for days off/injuries, and a general manager override for playing time for the purposes of development vs win now, building trade value, etc...

How about Rays bench coach Dave Martinez? I always hear good things about him. He is young, been a bench coach for 4 years and has worked under Joe Maddon one of the best managers in the game who is well known for his great handling of players and the clubhouse. I don’t think I have heard anyone mention Martinez. But I think he should get a shot.

He sounds like an excellent guy to at least interview. I'm not intensely familiar with Maddon, but from what I do know, he's a good manager.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Melvined (good because it would serve a dual purpose every time one of us uttered or typed it)

This one is the best because it actually has a meaning that fits the situation being described.

"The Melvin is a variant where the victim's underwear is pulled up from the front, to cause injury to the victim's genitals."

(cleaned up code oddities --1992)

As soon as I saw Pat Listach dive headfirst into the Nationals/Marlins brawl earlier this year, I wanted him to be our next manager. His quote was something along the lines of, "I did not want it to be 5 of their guys against 1 of ours."

TracyThom]As soon as I saw Pat Listach dive headfirst into the Nationals/Marlins brawl earlier this year, I wanted him to be our next manager. His quote was something along the lines of, "I did not want it to be 5 of their guys against 1 of ours."

I had my mind made up that I wanted him before the fight, but that really sealed the deal for me. If you are a player, how could you not connect and respect that. I am sure he has enough background and experience at this point. But stuff like that can't be learned or taught.

Archived