Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's going to be tough to find an up and comer that wants to manage a team with a lame duck GM. That might narrow down prospective candidates a little.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
It's going to be tough to find an up and comer that wants to manage a

team with a lame duck GM. That might narrow down prospective candidates

a little

The fact that Attanasio is giving Melvin this hire suggests that Melvin is going to be around for a while--both will likely be around at least through the end of 2012.

I think the Brewers job is very attractive. They were 77-85--that isn't all that bad for a team replacing its manager. They have a good group of young talent to work with. They are not in a rebuilding phase and are looking to compete again in 2011.

I don't get all the Bob Melvin talk. He was mediocre at best in his two managerial stints. Hopefully the Mets swoop him up first. If you are going to hire Melvin, why not just bring back Phil Garner who was his mentor? I think that Garner would do a good job with this team. He had a lot of crappy teams here, but had a lot of them in semi-contention, plus he seemed to prefer the NL style of baseball. Plus he took Houston to a World Series. The only other retread manager that would appeal to me would be Bobby Valentine.

I'd still prefer one of the internal candidates- Sveum/Money or Randolph in that order.

I don't get all the Bob Melvin talk.

He managed successful teams and no matter what there are always going to be a lot of people who think managers who manage winning teams are good.

I am very apprehensive about a new manager because I fear they will give Gomez a free pass for sucking over his entire career. Gomez has nice skills to impress but at this point I think it is apparent he just cannot get the job done.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I have a question. Why does everyone like Bobby Valentine so much?
I like Valentine because he has the reputation as being a player's manager. Most guys who've played for him rave about him, and he seems to get a lot out of younger players. He also has a personality, and shows his competitive nature on his sleeve. Basically the opposite of Macha, which is a good thing.

Going further, in both jobs that he's had in Texas and New York, he took over crappy teams, and brought them to respectability. I also think that he would relate well with international players based on his stint in Japan. It would be nice to have a manager with some personality here, which we haven't had in a long time.

If that is the case we can also blame Valentine for turning the Mets into losers before he left. I questions how crappy the team he took over in NY really was since they managed to win 88 games in his first full season.

Ken Macha was a winner before he came here. He was 2nd half manager. He was good with young guys. Nonsense. He was a manager just like the rest.

The really sad part about managers is that they can make a difference but most take such a cookie cutter approach to managing they are mostly the same. Most just manage to keep their jobs instead of doing the right thing. Then in the post game interview all they have to say is "that is how the game is played" or some other canned line.

I blame Wang.

If that is the case we can also blame Valentine for turning the Mets into losers before he left. I questions how crappy the team he took over in NY really was since they managed to win 88 games in his first full season.

Ken Macha was a winner before he came here. He was 2nd half manager. He was good with young guys. Nonsense. He was a manager just like the rest.

Look at the pitching that Valentine inherited with the Mets. Macha may have been a 'winner' before he came to Milwaukee, but in my opinion, there are three reasons for that: Hudson, Zito and Mulder.

don't want Brenley at all. He almost messed up a world series where he had Schilling and Johnson in the rotation.

also i doubt there is much of a list right now, so i don't put too much credit towards names being mentioned until we start hearing about people he is bringing in to interview.

I don't know enough to be able to judge Ken's overall "stand-up" quotient, but I think this snippet from the Brew Beat blog linked above was a pretty stand-up thing to say:

And I've said this a bunch: the people in the City of Milwaukee were

tremendous. That's a tremendous baseball city, and I wish people

understood how supportive they are. I don't understand why more free

agents wouldn't want to come there. You've got a packed house every

night, and everywhere you go the people were encouraging you. That was

tremendous.

It could be just lip service, but he could have opted to say nothing about Milwaukee.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'd like to see what tim allen has come up with as his top 5, but these 3 lists are weak.

I usually like Sparky's views, but Guillen is not even a candidate and there is no indication that LaRussa is available.

Sparky's Big List

1. Bobby Valentine

2. Tony LaRussa

3. Ozzie Guillen

4. Joe Torre

5. Ryne Sandberg

Josh's Big List

1. Tony LaRussa

2. Joey Cora

3. Ryne Sandberg

4. Mike Quade

5. Bob Brenly

Ramie's Big List

1. Fredi Gonzalez

2. Bob Brenly

3. Pat Listache

4. Bobby Valentine

5. Ryne Sandberg

http://www.sportsradio1250.com/pages/4771284.php

mine would be:

1: Tim Wallach

Joe Torre

3. Dale Sveum

4. Pat Listach

5. Bob Melvin

I'm not really interested in Joe Torre, and I highly doubt if he is interested in the Brewers job. To me, Joe Torre has kind of became the Phil Jackson/Pat Riley of baseball, namely taking very talented teams to where they should be. Before going to the Yankees job, inheriting a ton of young talent like Jeter, Rivera and Pettitte- with a sky is the limit payroll, you could have looked 'retread manager' up in the dictionary and you would have seen a picture of Joe Torre. He had a decent run with the Dale Murphy teams in Atlanta, but that was about it. Torre is going somewhere with a lot of talent in place and a bunch of money to spend.

I'd like to see what tim allen has come up with as his top 5, but these 3 lists are weak.

I usually like Sparky's views, but Guillen is not even a candidate and there is no indication that LaRussa is available.

Sparky's Big List

1. Bobby Valentine

2. Tony LaRussa

3. Ozzie Guillen

4. Joe Torre

5. Ryne Sandberg

Josh's Big List

1. Tony LaRussa

2. Joey Cora

3. Ryne Sandberg

4. Mike Quade

5. Bob Brenly

Ramie's Big List

1. Fredi Gonzalez

2. Bob Brenly

3. Pat Listache

4. Bobby Valentine

5. Ryne Sandberg

http://www.sportsradio1250.com/pages/4771284.php

mine would be:

1: Tim Wallach

Joe Torre

3. Dale Sveum

4. Pat Listach

5. Bob Melvin

I agree with Josh's list the most. My list would go like this:

1. Mike Quade
2. Randy Ready
3. Joey Cora
4. Pat Listach
5. Ryne Sandberg

I honestly want Mike Quade as the manager. I really like what he's done with the Cubs. I just like the way he manages.

He managed successful teams and no matter what there are always going to be a lot of people who think managers who manage winning teams are good.

Like Doug Melvin

Sad but true. I said it last time after Ned was fired but we are not going to get a good manager hired if Melvin is the one doing the hiring. So would 27 other GM's.

We should go with these as guidlines

OWBC's rules for hiring a new manager:

1) Never played for the Brewers

2) Never worked for ESPN

3) Was not already interviewed by Melvin in 2003 or 2008

4) Not a current member of the Brewers' organization

5)not recently a manager for another organization

but will probably go with these

1)experienced

2)winner

I blame Wang.