Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers' Next Manager; Latest -- Valentine may have inside track to the job; Cora, Melvin, Roenicke also finalists

Sage

Alright, well, I think we all know that Ken Macha will not be returning. I noticed we didn't have a thread actually dedicated to this topic, so I figured I'd make it. Who do you guys think should be the next manager of the Brewers?

For me, I really think it should be Dale Sveum. I think it should have been Sveum back in the 08 offseason. I mean, what more does he have to do to convince Doug Melvin that he should be our manager? He's got 213 wins as a minor league manager (rated as the Top Managerial Prospect in the Eastern League a few years back), he won the World Series as the Third Base Coach of the Red Sox back in 04, and he's been with the Brewers since 2006. He knows everyone on the team, and everyone in the clubhouse clearly likes Sveum a lot. Seriously, why should he not be our manager? (Who do I think Melvin will give the job to? Randolph, probably. It should be Sveum.)

(As for GM's, I'd like either David Forst or Rick Hahn. You guys can talk about GM's, too, if you are so inclined. Fwiw, no, I don't think Melvin will be fired.)

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just being preemptive here. Rather than turning this thread into a Macha referendum, let's stay on topic and concentrate on potential replacements. Any discussions of the pros and cons of replacing Ken can be posted elsewhere.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm not as high on Svuem....though I don't think any of us REALLY have a great feel for these managers who haven't been Major League managers before, and I include Svuem in that as he was a manager for about 2 weeks two years ago for us.

So with that said, I'd like to see one of two guys given the job.

1-Don Money

He's a no-nonsense type guy, and while I generally hate that line, from hearing him talk and reading his quotes regarding his players in the paper, he sounds like a guy who doesn't want to hear excuses and is a pretty straight shooter. The article about Weeks a couple of weeks ago talked about how he reacted when people complained about the shadows in Miller Park. Money strikes me as the same type of guy, could possibly help instill a bit tougher mentality in the players.

He's also a guy who was known for his exceptional defense, so we can only assume/hope that he places a premium on D.

2-Bobby Valentine

He reminds me very much of a TLR type manager. Arrogant as can be, but also seems to be a very intelligent baseball man who is willing to do things that are a little bit unconventional.

In other words, he's not afraid to follow the "Old school" ways of doing things in baseball.

But again, we can only glean so much from managers from our vantage. We don't know how they are behind the scenes, and the majority of managers react the exact same ways in 90 pct of the decisions a manager has to make.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I've never been big on hiring former players

Who are you big on hiring? There is some success with non-players, but it can be tough for non-players to earn some players respect.

If the decision has already been made to not bring back Macha, I really don't understand why he should be finishing the season. I would much rather give Sveum the last 6 weeks or so to run the team and see how he manages.

I've never been big on hiring former players, but Money could be a good pickup. He seems to have done well in the minors, and is familiar with the players on the team.

Oh, I absolutely agree. In fact, were I the GM, I'd probably go out and hire Paul Molitor simply because I believe he'd be a great manager. Why? I dunno, I loved the guy, my all-time favorite athlete, grew up watching him, even when he left because the Brewers couldn't pay the greatest player in their history a decent salary.

So bias can come into play when you're talking about guys who've been organizational hero's. Though I DO believe Molitor would be an ideal hitting coach. So my belief that he could be a great manager is definitely tied up in personal bias.

Money though would SEEM, again, from afar, to be a very good managerial candidate.

I've never been big on hiring former players

Who are you big on hiring? There is some success with non-players, but it can be tough for non-players to earn some players respect.

If the decision has already been made to not bring back Macha, I really don't understand why he should be finishing the season. I would much rather give Sveum the last 6 weeks or so to run the team and see how he manages.

I believe he meant former players on the team they'll be managing.

Also, I agree. Why NOT go the Baltimore route and make Randolph/Svuem the interim manager and begin their search for the next manager right now.

Of course you may miss out on a couple of managerial prospects you like who are coaching elsewhere. Still, at least get Macha out of there.

And for the record, I don't particularly care about Mrs. Doubtfire one way or the other. Don't think he's been bad, rather, we simply need a change.

Frank Kremblas was the guy I've wanted for years. He was there when our current core of players were developing in the minors and I'm pretty certain he won a title at AA or AAA. I just think he personality would fit in well in Milwaukee with the players and fans. Is it against the rules to talk to him now that he's managing for another organization now? Either way, there's probably some bridges burned between him and the Brewers.

No, they could get permission to talk to Kremblas if they wanted; but if he was ever a serious candidate they would not have let him go a couple years back.

I wouldn't have a big problem with Don Money. He seems to be well regarded and seems to have a connection with many of the current players.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree about taking the Baltimore route. Many don't seem to want to go this way because they don't want the team to play well under Sveum or Randolph and have them retained on a permanent basis. That doesn't make any sense to me- what is there to lose? If they do well, that tells me that they click somewhat with the team. In 1986, Trebelhorn managed the last 10 games or so of the season, and did so well he was retained. Kuenn started as an interim manager as well. Those turned out pretty well, why not give Sveum a shot for the rest of the year?

Otherwise, I'd be on board for just about any of the names above, Sveum, Money and Valentine make sense to me. I don't want Steve Decker or anyone like that, nor do I want the run of the mill retread manager like Macha was.

The more I hear about Don Money, the more I like him as a replacement for Macha. He has progressed all the way through the ranks of minor league managing, always seeming to do well and help players with their development. So I think he is my first choice. Give him the final bump from AAA to MLB.

If not Money, I would be okay with Valentine, Kremblas (I liked him to replace Yost in 08' had Yost been first in May) and I might even be okay with Sveum getting 1 year. I mean it was a small sample but the team did go 7-5 under him and they all seem to respect him and want to play for him. I thought he should have gotten the shot in 2009, but they chose Macha instead.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Jason Kendall, only half joking.
Thinking outside the box a bit, I'm half tempted to say Craig Counsell. Seems like a guy who could step in very soon as an MLB manager, once his playing days are over. He's widely respected around the league, and I'm sure his teammates would be motivated to play for him. Heck, maybe he could be the first player/manager since Pete Rose.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fredi Gonzalez. He has experience playing young talent, and he demands effort from his players. His teams consistently seemed to over-achieve.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I would prefer a guy who hasn't managed at the big league level before. Not Money though. I know some people like a straight shooter but I don't think it works to treat your guys like that at the MLB level. In the minors where players are supposed to be getting ready for the majors, fine, point out a player's flaws so he can work on them.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The fact that Randolph was brought in to be bench coach has always been a sign to me that he's next in line. I know that most people wouldn't want him as manager, but I just think that's what Melvin has in mind. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I would love to see Macha get fired now so we can at least see what Randolph can do here for a little while first.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The fact that Randolph was brought in to be bench coach has always been a sign to me that he's next in line. I know that most people wouldn't want him as manager, but I just think that's what Melvin has in mind. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I would love to see Macha get fired now so we can at least see what Randolph can do here for a little while first.
Yeah, but if that was the case, why hasn't he just made him the interim manager already?

Pat Listach is absolutely another guy that I would enjoy having as our next manager. As for Don Money, he's a great guy, great manager, but I seem to recall him saying at one point that he doesn't want to manage at the MLB level because he likes working with the young guys in the minors (I don't have a source on that right now, I just seem to remember him saying it).

I would love to have Fredi Gonzalez as our manager, but I can just about guarantee that he will be the next manager of the Atlanta Braves. Sandberg is another guy I would like to have, but I really can't see the Cubs passing up on him. Both Kendall and Counsell are probably going to be very good managers some day, and I think just about everybody here wouldn't at all mind seeing Counsell as our manager. I don't think Craig is ready to retire just yet, and I'm not exactly sure if a player-manager would work these days. I also like Jeff Cirillo and Geoff Jenkins, but I don't think either of them should be managing just yet. I'd like them both on our staff, though.

Archived