Brewer Fanatic

Hawing! / Frozen Pizza discussion

brewstew2
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put in a vote for Bellatoria...delicious. It's pricey, $5 and it's only available in thin crust, but it's so good. I especially enjoy both the Sausage variety and the Chicken variety, both which use alfredo sauce instead of the standard tomato sauce. I thought it sounded gross, until I tried it, (their regular pepperoni is de-lish too). I basically threw out all my thin crust Jack's pizzas after trying it because I couldn't go back to them. Though, I still love Jack's high rising. For what it's worth though, I can only find it at Woodman's, and as I said, it's a little pricey for thin crust frozen.

As was mentioned, Woodman's is the place to go for frozen pizzas, they always have the best regular prices, and most of the time their regular prices beat the "sales" of Copps or Pick 'n Save or what have you.

edit: oh yeah, nice picture.

I have to put my vote in for Emil's frozen pizza. Really good but you have to make sure you cook them right as the meat doesn't seem to be precooked. With pizzas like Tombstone and Jacks all you really have to do is warm them up a bit and they taste ok. With Emil's you have to make sure you cook them good or you end up with raw meat.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

As a fellow frozen pizza enthusiast, I have to recommend the Pizzazz machine to everyone if they haven't purchased one already. No need to preheat the oven, and it works just as well as advertised.

www.amazon.com/Presto-03430-Pizzazz-Pizza-Oven/dp/B00005IBXJ

I had no idea it cost this much since it was a gift..but I definitely give it my approval.

I totally agree on the Pizazz, I've had mine for three years now.

I like Palermo's too, but not the cheaper ones. I like the ones with the yellow wrapper, usually 3-for-9.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Roma's used to be made in Black River Falls, WI which is where I lived for a few years in high school. I ate a few of those and regularly had some sent down to college when I couldn't find them in stores. The Rising Crust with the little wheel thing is the bomb.

Or at least they used to be good.

Here in AZ, not much to go with, short of your Tombstone, Red Baron and the regular national brands. Haven't tried the California Pizza Kitchen 'zas before--too expensive for my taste. Occasionally, I've broken down and bought 'el cheapo Safeway brand pizza (grocery store chain). Haven't bought a Totino's since college. I figured I have graduated from perpetual poordom so I can at least afford a slightly better frozen pizza than that.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Palermo's is a brand that is often a store brand as well...we once bought some that were on sale, and under the store brand label was Palermo's.

I truly thought I liked every frozen pizza, until I tried Orv's. Horrible.

Finally a decent topic!! I haven't lived in WI for awhile, so I have not been privvy to Orvs, but for my buck, Jack's original is the best cheap frozen treat. My other favorite, which I haven't had in over a decade, is the Merkts frozen pizza. My little sister used to sell this stuff for school, too good.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jack's is the only frozen pizza I eat. Occasionally I'll try a Home Run Inn but for some reason I get sick of it after the first piece.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Anyone else remember Pete's Blue Diamond? Now THAT was a great frozen pizza back in the early 80's.

I believe Roma was embroiled in scandal/embezzlement/mismanagement and fell apart in quality as a result. Don't quote me on it, but my dad knew the guy who ran one of the local frozen pizza companies and that was the story, and I'm pretty positive it was Roma, but can't swear to it.

Home Run frozen pizza is pretty much all i'll ever buy now.For anyone who has never tried it,you're missing out.Extremely tasty and reasonably priced.

http://www.andrewstamm.com/PizzaClub/20060301_HomeRunInn_05.JPG

Quote:
As a fellow frozen pizza enthusiast, I have to recommend the Pizzazz machine to everyone if they haven't purchased one already.

Those things are great and you can use them for other things as well. Around Christmas time you can find those at Kohl's for around $25-$30.

We're on our 2nd Pizazz, though I rarely dig it out anymore...not any quicker than the oven (maybe a couple minutes). It's a nice machine if you have room to leave it out on the counter, but otherwise, I'd pass.

We got one of them at the Presto outlet in Eau Claire...they are about $10 less there.

I'm a huge fan of the Mama Cozi's pizza that you can find at the Aldi Stores. They are almost 5 for $10, but they are by far the tastiest flat crust pizza that I've ever had. The sauce is really tasty, they don't skimp on the cheese as some cheap pizza companies do, and the crust is actually pretty decent.

The spaghetti sauce at Aldi's is also a family favorite. 99 cents, and more delicious than Ragu or Prago.

Community Moderator

not any quicker than the oven (maybe a couple minutes).

I'm not sure how that's possible- it takes roughly the same amount of time to cook the pizza in both the oven and the Pizazz, minus the 5-10 minutes of pre-heating.

Peavey, I like my pizza a bit on the undercooked side, and it usually takes about 10-12 minutes, though our oven does seem to pre-heat pretty quick. I'm counting the time it takes to dig out the Pizazz and assemble it, but it's usually done in about 8, plus the time it took to get the machine out and together.

Archived