Brewer Fanatic

Hawing! / Frozen Pizza discussion

brewstew2

The Union has a new website that rolled out about a month ago. You may already know this, but I'm pretty sure you're featured on the lakefront on langdon's page.

scope it:

LOL

(Edited to match the subject more closely to the discussion that ensued - hawing)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, geez, that picture again.

That's from the first spring the Lakefront was open in its current form (Tip to TheBwaz: it didn't always look like that - although it has always had the sweet lake view), and between the Union and UW in general, they keep on using it.

Tom is looking at my office mate, who is the same age as Tom; and across from me is a geology guy who just happened to stop by for a few minutes (and has been immortalized in photo ever since).

I'd have sat up straighter if I'd known at the time. Thing is, as I think I've told brewstew before, we hardly ever eat at Lakefront anymore. It's too hard to count on finding a open table. In the Rathskellar we at least have a chance.

Thanks for the heads-up...I guess. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
FREE eggroll with purchase of any large Thu's Fan Dim entrée.

Free egg rolls?? I thought it was just a rumor!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Lakefront pizza is pretty bad - and we've been known to buy the likes of Orv's for our home freezer.

Sometimes I am hungry enough at lunchtime to think to myself, "but I could get the pizza slice without having to wait 10 minutes in line." But I've trained myself to resist.

I'm more a fan of the turkey sandwich specials in Der Rathskellar (Smoked Turkey Melt, and of course, the Double Play!)

I had a meeting at the Lakefront cafe last week and had the misfortune of getting a slice of pizza. I can't believe nobody warned me about this. Not only was it small in size for $3, it tasted no different from a bad frozen pizza. Like Orv's.

Hawing - Orv's!? The lowest I'll ever go is Tony's/Tombstone. Sometimes I'll pay the extra buck and get Red Baron..but never cheese-on-cardboard like Orv's..

I had a meeting at the Lakefront cafe last week and had the misfortune of getting a slice of pizza. I can't believe nobody warned me about this.

That would be brewstew's fault for not starting this thread before your meeting.

I won't say either is a gourmet experience, but Orv's pizza is better than Lakefront. The Rizer crust is better than the thin crust. (And Lakefront on Langdon isn't a sponsor on the Brewers Radio Network.)

I kind of like the 3 Meat Orv's Rizer. But it's a last resort.

By far the worst frozen pizza I've ever had is definitely the Urge pizza that Kwik Trip sells. I love the KT but that pizza tastes like cardboard.

I apologize for starting the full-out threadjacking..but this topic intrigues me, as the sheer number of frozen pizzas I've consumed over the past year could possibly put me in the connoisseur range.

I think the difference in opinion here might lie in the type of Orv's crust. I've only had the thin crust version, and I don't know if I left it in the oven for a few minutes too long or whatever, but it tasted like sauce and cheese on a crust that I can only describe as having the texture of an unsalted saltine cracker. I trust that Al's poor experience was with this thin crust as well.

Now, I know nothing about this 'Rizer' version that some of you have mentioned. Better crust? Same unbeatable price? Do tell me more.

It's a rising crust pizza. Which is of course the only way to go. It's nothing great, but certainly better than the regular crust. I think they run about $3.99, which is a dollar less than Jack's Rising Crust, in comparison. I'd definitely prefer the Jack's, that's actually a pretty decent pizza.

I would probably also put the Orv's pizza ahead of Roma. Romas used to be great back in the day, at least their rising crust. They had this cool wheel thing that you cooked the pizza on. Now I don't think they even make the rising crust and you can get the thin crust 5/$10.

By far and away the greatest frozen pizza-related item is the Portesi High Rise pizza fries. They're the best.

I had completely forgotten about Roma. That is a bad pizza, folks. Now that I think about this a little bit, my previous summary might have actually been my experience with that Roma pizza. I can't believe I switched them up - this is definitely hurting my pizza cred.

As a personal preference, I tend to shy away from the 'higher end' frozen pizzas like DiGiornos, Fruchettas (sp..), and the like. Some of them almost taste too much like a real pizza, and that's a turn-off for me. There's something about that frozen pizza sauce taste that really hits the spot.

"It's not delivery..it's DiGiornos"? Well yeah, that's the problem..if I wanted delivery I'd have called them up already. I want a true frozen pizza, and one that doesn't hire Dick Vitale as their spokesperson either!

As a personal preference, I tend to shy away from the 'higher end' frozen pizzas like DiGiornos, Fruchettas (sp..), and the like. Some of them almost taste too much like a real pizza, and that's a turn-off for me. There's something about that frozen pizza sauce taste that really hits the spot.

That is my life's philosophy in a nutshell. No way I'm paying $8 for a frozen pizza.

I'm a connoisseur, as well. In fact I'm craving a frozen pizza right now.

I apologize for starting the full-out threadjacking..

Oh, you know, comparing pizza might be more interesting in the end. Although I appreciate brewstew's sharp eye - and I still can't believe how often the UW uses that picture - there is probably only so much to be squeezed out of the topic "look! here's a webpage picture where you can kind of see hawing's head!" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'd definitely prefer the Jack's, that's actually a pretty decent pizza.

We rotate between Jacks and Tombstone for our family -- typically one of them is on sale at the store. When the Digornios go on sale -- I will buy them from time to time as well. If nothing else, I think they forced Tombstone, and Jacks to think outside the box a little.

I prefer the take and bakes these days.

Community Moderator

No love for the local Palermo's?

5 for 10 at Woodmans (which used to be much sweeter at 6 for 10 not 2 months ago). It's not exceptional by any means, but it's a solid pizza.

Red Baron is incredibly underrated, though at 3 for 9 for the Red Barons., I usually go for the Palermos to get the two extras for the same price.

No love for the local Palermo's?

You know, just last week at Woodman's I got a Palermo's "Rustico" with white cheddar and tomato, and we liked it a lot. The thin crust Palermo's...not so much.

Palermo's is also a Brewers sponsor, though they aren't "extra-Orv-inary." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived