Brewer Fanatic

Dale Sveum returning as hitting coach, signs 2-year deal

PrinceEatMeat

http://wssp.radiotown.com...ack_as_hitting_coach.mp3

We can also take Sveum off the list. He's coming back as hitting coach.

No kidding? Sveum is becoming this generation's Harvey Kuenn, in that he's always the bridesmaid and never the bride. I'm surprised that he's so loyal to this organization when quite frankly he's been treated like crap.

I love Milwaukee, and hopefully we can get a manager in here pretty quick and can get that sealed and done and we can get back to playing some real aggressive-type baseball, the way our players really want to play -- get back to running the bases and doing some things.

Wow, lots of subtle parting shots this offseason.

Do you think it's odd that we've got the hitting and pitching coaches in place before hiring the manager? I thought most managers usually picked their own staff.

I have no idea if it's important to change the clubhouse atmosphere or team decorum or whatever, but it would seem to be that's hard to do if you bring back most of the staff.

Kind of makes the new manager look like some sort of substitute teacher doens't it?

Do you think it's odd that we've got the hitting and pitching coaches in place before hiring the manager? I thought most managers usually picked their own staff.

I think Bob Melvin just became an underdog. Wouldn't a retread wanna bring his own guys in here? You'd think a rookie manager would be fine with a staff in place.

I am also surprised that Dale Sveum still wants to be here. I am personally happy he is staying because I have always liked him. But I was surprised that he didn't even get an interview for the manager's position. I am not saying that he should have been the next manager here, but I think he deserved to be a candidate at least. I would like to know why Melvin didn't think highly of him enough to offer an interview. There must be some story behind this.

Maybe there just aren't many coaching positions in the major leagues, and maybe that is why Sveum came back here. I guess you have to swallow your pride and take what you can get sometimes.

I don't know.

I love Milwaukee, and hopefully we can get a manager in here pretty quick and can get that sealed and done and we can get back to playing some real aggressive-type baseball, the way our players really want to play -- get back to running the bases and doing some things.

As an ex player, I'm sure he would have liked to be more aggressive on the basepaths. The players would have loved it! It wouldn't have made a lick of difference, though.

Not that I don't like Sveum as the hitting coach, he was fine; but these decisions are being made backwards. Same as they were when Macha was hired. If I were a manager, I would want to hand pick my staff. If a manager doesn't want to do that, then I wouldn't want to hire him. It just seems to open the door to a lot of weird dynamics in the clubhouse like second guessing, divisions in loyalty amongst players, etc... That's not to say the new manager wouldn't hire Sveum anyway; but lets put the cart before the horse.

I think this makes Melvin the favorite because an established manager might be a little more secure with something like this, and it seems to fit what I know of Melvins reported personality and style more than it does what I know of Cora's.

I don't have a problem with this. If Melvin wants to show loyalty to Sveum by making sure he has a job it is fine. There is really no reason a new manager has to hire the batting coach, most of the time a large portion of the staff stays the same with a new manager anyway.

I am also surprised that Dale Sveum still wants to be here. I am personally happy he is staying because I have always liked him. But I was surprised that he didn't even get an interview for the manager's position. I am not saying that he should have been the next manager here, but I think he deserved to be a candidate at least. I would like to know why Melvin didn't think highly of him enough to offer an interview. There must be some story behind this.

I think the story behind it is that MLB organizations just don't view Dale as having the ability to be an MLB manager. Personally, I agree. Glad to have him back as a hitting coach though and I look forward to him continuing to work with guys like Cain.

Dale's consistent, though: This is pretty much the same thing Dale said after Yost was fired & he was put in charge.

I totally agree that to be more effective, the Brewers need to take a more aggressive approach to the whole offense, not just at the plate. And that's I think much of where Macha failed, because he was quite conservative outside of the batters' box.

I think the story behind it is that MLB organizations just don't view Dale as having the ability to be an MLB manager.

He got an interview with the Pirates which is more than Randolph can say this time around. I think there will be more chances in the future. He isn't a high profile guy which may have as much to do with organization he works for than his ability. All in all he's done a good job in the roles he's had IMHO so his time will come.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

They didn't like him as the 3B coach in Boston. If I recall they called him the windmill. Of course nobody likes the 3B coach. It has to be the job open to the most criticism just after the manager.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wasn't fond of Dale as the 3B coach in Milwaukee, either. But I've been fine with him as a hitting coach, infield coach, and bench coach.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm surprised that he's so loyal to this organization when quite frankly he's been treated like crap.

I don't know if the fact that he was passed on as the manager means that he was "treated like crap." I assume Dale Sveum doesn't agree with your assessment or he would have found a job elsewhere.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm convinced more then ever now based on those comments that the Brewers are going to hire a more aggressive type of manager. Dale Sveum just hinted that IMO.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'm surprised that he's so loyal to this organization when quite frankly he's been treated like crap.

I don't know if the fact that he was passed on as the manager means that he was "treated like crap." I assume Dale Sveum doesn't agree with your assessment or he would have found a job elsewhere.

How would you feel if at your workplace if both the following happened?

You got a interim promotion, achieved what you were supposed to, allowed to interview for the job and passed over for an external candidate.

-and-

Two years later after the failure of the candidate hired in your stead, the position opens again, and you are not even given an interview. Again you are bypassed for an external candidate.

I'd be looking for a job elsewhere unless I was happy with my current position and not interested in the least in career advancement. Since Sveum interviewed for managerial positions, I assume that is not the case.

You got a interim promotion, achieved what you were supposed to, allowed to interview for the job and passed over for an external candidate.

-and-

Two years later after the failure of the candidate hired in your stead, the position opens again, and you are not even given an interview. Again you are bypassed for an external candidate.

I'd be looking for a job elsewhere unless I was happy with my current position and not interested in the least in career advancement. Since Sveum interviewed for managerial positions, I assume that is not the case.

I wish this would happen to me. It seems like whenever I'm looking for a new job and am extremely qualified or one of the finalists, I get passed over for an internal candidate. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'd be looking for a job elsewhere unless I was happy with my current position and not interested in the least in career advancement.

If he wanted out so badly & felt so mistreated, no one held a gun to his head on this 2-yr. extension. Clearly he likes something about the position.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the story behind it is that MLB organizations just don't view Dale as having the ability to be an MLB manager.

He got an interview with the Pirates which is more than Randolph can say this time around. I think there will be more chances in the future. He isn't a high profile guy which may have as much to do with organization he works for than his ability. All in all he's done a good job in the roles he's had IMHO so his time will come.

As others have pointed out he was with one of the highest profile organizations in the league in Boston. From knowing a few Red Sox fans, he isn't well liked around Boston.

I think he has done a fantastic job as our hitting coach but in the other opportunities he has had, I haven't been too impressed. I think other organizations around baseball feel this way as well.

-and-

Unless this job is within an MLB organization or some other position only 30 people in the world hold at one time it really doesn't apply.

Archived