Brewer Fanatic

Cubs hire Mike Quade

JohnBriggs12

Cubs officially hire Quade.

While many Cub fans will applaud them for not taking the sentimental choice in Sandberg, the choice is not going to sit well with many Cub faithful. Many feel Sandberg did what he was asked, paid his dues in the minors and this is a betrayal of a beloved Cub figure. Should be fun watching the squirming if Quade doesn't deliver.

Community Moderator
Judging by the reaction on the message boards, Cubs fans are happy that Sandberg wasn't hired, calling Quade the "lesser of two evils". The Cubs' real problems are higher up in the organization, which is confirmed by their decision to stick with the status quo in their coaching decisions.

Take with a grain of salt:

If Melvin truly believes Ryne Sandberg is ready to be a manager, now would be the time to hire him. I'm not sure it would be the right hire but it sure would be fun if it were. Could be reminiscent of how badly the Dodgers would love for their hometown hero Mike Scioscia to be their manager right now. Nothing would please me more than to have the Cubs spurn their own hero, only to have him find Scioscia-esque success in Milwaukee.

Like I said, grain of salt.

I wouldn't be so sure about the Sandberg bench coach possibility. From a statement he made after the hire was announced:

"I spent the four years in the minor leagues to manage at the major league level, and that's where my heart is and that's what my next step is. That's where I look next. So I'll take it a step at a time and see if there's another opportunity out there and go from there. I wish Mike Quade the best; I wish the Cubs the best and the Ricketts family."

It sure sounds like a "see you later" type of comment to make.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Judging by the reaction on the message boards, Cubs fans are happy that Sandberg wasn't hired, calling Quade the "lesser of two evils". The Cubs' real problems are higher up in the organization, which is confirmed by their decision to stick with the status quo in their coaching decisions.

There's "message board" fans, then there's everyone else. They don't always look at things the same way.

I think that Quade was a fairly saavy move for the Cubs. Granted he's not high profile, but he does provide a certain sense of continuity and stability for what has to be a long-term rebuilding project.

Don't kid yourself. The Cubs aren't in a long term rebuilding mode. First, Hendry isn't on solid ice and he's got to win. Second, Quade got the job in hopes that the momentum from the last 6 weeks carries over until next year. If they were truly interested in rebuilding, they'd have gone with Sandberg. They think they can contend next year. They can too but only if Zambrano pitches like he did at the end of the year.

With the Cubs and their revenue, they can never be written off easily. Dropping out of the race so early last year, allowed them the luxury of turning to some younger players. In Chicago, they don't have that luxury starting off a season.

craigharmann[/b]]

JohnBriggs12[/b]]only if Zambrano pitches like he did at the end of the year.
Anyone counting on that to happen over a whole season, or even a half a season, lives in a fantasy world filled with chocolate rivers and trees that grow money.
Sadly, you just described most of the Cubs fanbase.

I think the casual fan is always going to prefer the famous hometown ballplayer over someone else. I think a lot of knowledgeable fans would as well. Let's face it, these guys are all mostly interchangeable anyway. That's why they last only a few years on average and get paid peanuts.

I'm sure there has been instances, but I don't think I remember a team hiring on an interim manager.
The last one I remember is Jerry Manuel, who took over when Willie Randolph was fired by the Mets mid-season and guided the Mets to a hot (flukey) finish.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Trebelhorn started out as an interim manager as well, after Bamberger split before the season ended in '86. I don't think that he was expected to get the job at first either. If you really want to split hairs, Buck Rodgers got the full time gig the first time Bamberger stepped down after serving as acting manager during Bambi's heart surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived