Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 2010 season award winners announced

hawing

Brewers' press release, announcing their 2010 season award winners as voted on by Milwaukee BBWAA members.

Team MVP: Casey McGehee (edging out Weeks and Hart)

Team MV Pitcher: Yovani Gallardo (Axford second)

Top Newcomer: John Axford (Cain second)

Unsung Hero: Kameron Loe (Lucroy second)

Good Guy: Trevor Hoffman

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Weeks out hit McGehee and played defense at least as good at a tougher position. McGehee had more RBI's thou so this makes perfect sense to me.

It should be subtitled "Baseball writers perpetuating the use of mostly useless stats."

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My guess is that Casey must be a favorite of the Milwaukee BBWAA- he must be easy to get a quote from. In that case, they should have voted him the 'Good Guy', and given the MVP to either Weeks or Hart. McGehee had a nice season, but would probably be 5th on my ballot.

That's what I thought too, RockCo. I was a little surprised Casey didn't win the "Good Guy" award... but I guess if he wins the MVP, you don't freeze out THE Trevor Hoffman http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Other than being a good story and possibly supplying a good quote or two, there's really no justification for Casey. Apparently the sportswriters have to get their eyes off the RBI stat and actually watch a game.

But, as noted above, it's relatively meaningless. He had a good year, but does anyone think that the Brewers don't know who's truly valuable on the team?

Robert

The problem isn't that McGehee won an award and Weeks didn't. Its the fact that of the 6 ballots turned in,3 listed McGehee as the best player. This is the press that covers the Brewers. Who are the six? I assume its Haudricort and Witrado. Hunt was listed as a member in the past so likely him. I don't know if Drew Olsen is still a member. He likely could be if he wanted to be but he might have resigned from the group. McCalvy writes for the internet so probably not him unless he was before the job with mlb.com.

Looking at the numbers, picking Mcgehee is just embarrassing:

McGehee team rank (min 300 PA):
OBP: 5th
SLG: 5th
OPS: 5th
Runs: 5th
RBIs: 1st (Braun and Hart within 2)
Runs Produced: 4th

Maybe he got a lot of opportunities to win a lot of games and kept on delivering? Not particularly, at least relative to the other stars of the offense. His WPA came in as 4th highest.

Defensively, he plays at a more valuable position than Braun, Fielder or Hart but I (think?) we can all agree that he's been below average the last 2 years. Advance defensive metrics certainly backs that up.

WAR puts batting, fielding and positional adjustment together and Mcgehee comes in 4th on the team. Based off of everything above, that sounds about right.

McGehee, congratulations on your BF.net 4MVP award (4th most valuable)!

I'm surprised this has gotten as much play as it has. Does anybody remember these awards over the past 5 years? Did they exist? While I agree with most here that Weeks was the team MVP, I certainly have no quarrel with McGehee getting the award. I don't think there are any bonus' written into any contracts based on this. I think it was kind of a way to give some recognition to Casey as opposed to some of the other guys. Hart was an all-star (again), and I don't think Braun or Fielder really give a rip what the Milwaukee press think about them (and only care slightly more what the fans think about them). Plus, those two have had much better years and achieved much better things in the past and will certainly achieve much better things in the future. Hopefully the same can be said for Weeks.

Congratulations, Casey, you had a good year.

I would have no disagreement with Casey getting this award if it was called the "Nicest to the Press while having a Solid Season" award. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I went to the Baseball Writers Association website but you have to be a member to even see who's a member. Odd.

Miller Park Drunk has this list of the BBWAA in Milwaukee

Tom Haudricourt

Anthony Witrado

Michael Hunt

Garry Howard

Don Walker

Bill Windler

Adam Mertz

Dennis Semrau

Susan Shemanske

First six are from the Journal-Sentinel, next two are from the State Journal and the last is from the Racine Journal-Times.

And there, folks, are the people from Milwaukee who vote on the major MLB/HoF ballots. Now multiply that by 31 other markets, and remember it the next time a major award's voting results in an odd outcome.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived