Brewer Fanatic

Pablo Sandoval

This guy is sitting on the Giant bench while they play Mike Fontenot?

I know Sandoval had a big dropoff from last year and is a defensive liability but Mike Fontenot, are you kidding me?

Was he a one year wonder who is in the process of eating himself out of the game, or the buy low candidate of the century to replace Fielder?

If the team doesn't feel comfortable playing both Gamel and McGehee (and assuming Hart stays in right field), I would love to see them trade for Sandoval. The upside is huge, and he's still relatively young and cheap.

I have no idea what it would take to get him at this point though. Maybe you'd have to give up a prospect bat, like Lawrie?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fontenot had every bit as good an offensive '10 as Pablo. Mike is a nice bench guy/stopgap for almost any team, especially those with RH bats at 2B/3B.

I'm pretty sure Sandoval doesn't get quite the same pitches to hit that Fontenot does. Fontenot's not known for a great glove either.

Nice bench guy/stopgap over a guy who was 7th in the MVP voting last year? Bad year or not, seems a curious decision. That's why I'm thinking Giants must have really soured on Sandoval and that for the right price, maybe he is available.

Maybe San Fran wouldn't be Fielder's ideal trade location. I don't think he'd respond too well if they put him on a protien diet and running program to shed weight.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

And that is precisely why teams should never fast track a player if he still has major flaws, even if he WOULD make the team better immediately. Basically, you spoil them and stunt their growth as a player. While it is possible for some players to remain hungry enough to improve greatly at the major league level, more often complacency sets in because they've already attained their goals, and are successful enough at one aspect of their game to ignore improving their other aspects. A player is much more likely to listen to coaching in the minors where they still have that nugget of getting an everyday spot in the Bigs.

• 2 weeks later...
And that is precisely why teams should never fast track a player if he still has major flaws, even if he WOULD make the team better immediately. Basically, you spoil them and stunt their growth as a player. While it is possible for some players to remain hungry enough to improve greatly at the major league level, more often complacency sets in because they've already attained their goals, and are successful enough at one aspect of their game to ignore improving their other aspects. A player is much more likely to listen to coaching in the minors where they still have that nugget of getting an everyday spot in the Bigs.

What? Sandoval had 1,900 minor league plate appearances. I assume you mean by "major flaw", you're talking about plate discipline? First, Sandoval is Venezuelan. You won't find too many guys from there who ever took a lot of walks. They get noticed by swinging the bat. More time in the minors isn't going to change that. Second, he didn't just make the team better, he was one of the best hitters in the game in 2009. No doubt 2010 has been a humbling experience for him especially sitting for 4 of 5 World Series games.. He's certainly going to have something to prove in 2011. Yeah, he's overweight but so is Fielder. There is no denying his talent though. His best position is first base and the Brewers may have an opening.

Archived