Brewer Fanatic

Where'd you go to college? Major? Did you work?

TracyThom
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloomsburg University (pa) 2004- Finance, Economics

I will be attending Widener School of Law in the near future.

I worked as an Underwriter and then in the Actuarial Department for an insurance company while I attended school.

UWSP, class of 2005. Triple major in Business Admin, History, and Broadfield Social Science. Minor in Religious Studies. Went for 6 years.

Worked on the family farm in Iola during the summers the first few years. Worked the night shift at UPS for about 3 years. Worked at Centertainment Productions (the on-campus organization that booked and promoted comedians, bands, etc), and worked one summer at the Waupaca Foundry.

Participated in Student Government, and was president of both my fraternity and the Inter-Greek Council. I kept very, very busy. Also spent lots of time at Mugshots and buying $1 Hamm's at the Elbow Room.

Gruber Lawffices

I attended Luther College in Decorah, IA on the 5-year plan (4 years of studies, 1/2 year student teaching, 1/2 year writing senior paper). Most students do it in four years and I "walked" with my classmates at the end of the 4th year, but didn't actually "graduate" until all was completed. Oh, BA in Music Education.

My work history while in school is kinda weird. I never once worked while in High School, probably not the greatest decision in my life, seeing as how expensive a private college is. But I did receive a very generous amount of grants, scholarships, and the like (my freshman year, I wrote a check out for $9.00 to pay for what was not covered) but some ran out over the course of studies so loans kicked in.

Once in college, I had work-study programs. Freshman at Luther were pretty much given 2 choices: Food Service or Custodial. I chose Custodial. Did that for about 3 months. Luckily, I had volunteered to be manager for the basketball team (unpaid) and Coach Olinger got me out of the Custodial department and into the Fieldhouse Management department.

As a result of getting all the time in at basketball practice and at games, I was quickly promoted to Fieldhouse Supervisor, which basically meant I was in charge of all the other student workers. I also got to head the Event Set-up department for sporting events, which meant clocking-in and setting up the football field/basketball court/volleyball nets, bleachers, etc. for the games and remaining clocked-in during the event in case of a "malfunction" like a basketball net ripping or whatever. This was in addition to being Fieldhouse Supervisor so, unbeknownst to the college but knownst to Coach Olinger, I was on the clock for two jobs simulaneously and paid for both.

During summers, I worked at a local golf course taking reservations and tending bar. Tips pretty much paid for my bar hopping in college.

Boy, if only I could do those jobs at the fieldhouse full-time.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I got my Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education at Iowa State University in the spring of 1991. I made some money officiating volleyball games that allowed me to purchase as many cases of Red, White, & Blue longnecks that I needed. They were reasonably priced at $5.99 at the time. Rasing hogs, milking cows, and baling hay for the neighbors put me through school. I also sold my baseball cards when I was strapped for cash.

I'll predict that I'm the only Waldorf College alumni (Forest City, Ia) at Brewerfan. I had a scholarship and picked up my AA when it was still a junior college.

I grew up about a half hour from Decorah. I've played some golf at Oneota and Silvercrest and enjoy the burgers at T-Bocks. I'm guessing that pitchleague is a fan of Mabe's Pizza and has made the trip to Gunder for a Gunderburger. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner at the Shanti.

I went to UW-Madison and finished in five years because I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I finished with a 3.89 GPA in high school not doing much homework, then got hit by the reality of college. I ended up majoring in Computer Science and work as a software engineer writing insurance adjustment software (that is until they lay me off like they have 20 of my collegues in the past 9 months).

My Dad was a teacher at a very small school, but I guess he made enough to keep me from getting financial aid. So I worked with Food Service while at school. All this while being a member of the Wisconsin Marching Band / Varsity Band and working at the student radio station WLHA. During the summers, I held down the follownig jobs -- not at the same time:

* A carpenter doing roughing work building new houses.

* Packing pallots at a local canning factory.

* Driving truck carrying vegetables from the field to the factory.

* (My favorite) Building the fourth nine at Blackwolf Run in Kohler. Golf course construction is fun -- especially when you get to golf the other 27 holes for FREE!

Carleton College, bachelor's in Physics. I did some grading and working at the Math Skills center, but also worked housekeeping...the Saturday / Sunday early morning crew, which was, um, exhilarating. (Due of course to the aftereffects of Friday / Saturday night.) I also worked at the US Postal Service Bulk Mail Center one fall when I was not taking classes (due to an off-campus summer program.) I was also an RA for a year, which was a pretty good deal all things considered.

Then, after a couple of years in New Orleans, University of Washington (Seattle), MS and PhD.

Northwestern University - '94 with a BS in Chemical Engineering (though I've never used that degree). I worked at the sports pavilion for three years and in the tech administration offices for one while in college. It still took me eight years to pay off my loans after I got out.

That's two for NU!

5 years at Winona State, graduated May '05, BA English specializing in (mostly creative) writing.

I worked a couple summers at Gold n Plump in the factory (cold department), spent two years officiating intramural flag football, and worked as a houseman/maintenance at a Quality Inn for the last three years in school. I didn't work my first two years on campus because I was essentially on a free ride from one-time scholarship money. I started working in order to pay bills once I moved off campus for the last 3 years.

Are any of you English majors working in your field?

Quote:
Are any of you English majors working in your field?

I'm a newspaper editor, so I guess that qualifies. There's only so much you can do with an English major if you don't want to actually teach English or edit the encyclopedia.

2004-BA in Elementary Education at UWGB

2007-Master's in Educational Technology from Marian

The first go through of college I worked 25-30 hours a week and didn't take out any loans whatsoever (no parent help either). For the Master's I took out some sizeable loans.

I went to UW La Crosse for a fun but, nonproductive semester. Then I got married and joined the Army. I went back to school at night while stationed at Fort Polk LA. After 3 years of night school I got out of the active Army for 18 months and used my GI Bill, National Guard pay, and wife's income to graduate from Northwestern State in Louisiana. I got a Masters of Arts in Management in 2006 from Webster University. I went to school at night while I taught classes to new Lieutenants during the day. I just completed a second MA in Leadership Studies from UT at El Paso studying nights and weekends like before. I paid for the UTEP program and the Army paid for the Webster program.

UWM..UWM..UWM..UWM

CJ major.

Worked at the best job you could possibly have while going to school, The Gasthaus. There's nothing like putting a bunch of drunken college kids in charge of a bar and grill. Gotta love Milwaukeehttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived