Brewer Fanatic

Where'd you go to college? Major? Did you work?

TracyThom
I went to UW-Whitewater and graduated in 2004 with a BA in Sociology. I worked at the Whitewater Police Department for a good year and a half as a Community Service Officer. I gave a lot parking tickets to college kids...sorry guys.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UW-Madison with a BA in History 2003

UW-Milwaukee for teacher certification, finished last year

Freshman and sophomore year I worked at a golf course during the summer. Junior and senior years (plus the year in between) I worked for the UW Athletic department as a Kohl Center tour guide and a guest services rep at the Kohl Center and Camp Randall Stadium. At UWM, I worked for the AD as well, doing game promotions and stuff.

University of Georgia, 2004 with BA in English and Geography

University of North caorlina - Greensboro, 2007 M.Ed in English education with Licensure

i worked in the computer portion of the bookstore at UGA until i had to work a 12 hour shift during a football game and spent the entire 12 hours selling souvenirs...i quit after that...

i then administered the computer labs in the geography department for a year and a half

in grad school i helped run an after school program for elementary kids at a private school---then i taught high school PE and health for a semester---then i helped run a study hall for student atheletes at the University---followed up by not working at all while i was student teaching...

now i'm teaching high school english in columbus georgia...

why are me and dhonks the on ly two who didnt go to school in wisconsin? seems like this always happens...

why are me and dhonks the only two who didnt go to school in wisconsin? seems like this always happens...

Well, I started out as a non-Wisc. person, but eventually I got sucked in:

BA, Rutgers, 1988

MA, Iowa, 1995

Ph.D., Wisconsin, 2007

UW Oshkosh BS in philosophy. Worked as a CA (RA on most campuses) then started working as a gorilla at a local shop where I met my wife. She started the business when she was at UWO and I joined her shortly after. You gotta respect a 5', 100 pound 18 year old girl with enough nads to start her own business as a freshman in college. Shortly after I started working there we converted some of my comedy routines to deliveries and have been doing it ever since. What else would does one do with a degree in philosophy? My only options where to become a metaphysician or think a lot about unemployment.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

why are me and dhonks the on ly two who didnt go to school in wisconsin? seems like this always happens...

to be honest, I needed to get away from Wisconsin for college. I'm just learning to accept AZ as home, but I hope to eventually settle in Wisconsin. Actually, my biggest priority is landing a social studies/history job in AZ. Wisconsin won't accept my certification/license, since I achieved it via a post-bacc program. Boy the intra-state bureaucratic hoops for teachers are annoying.

Marquette University 2003 - BS, Computer Engineering w/ minors in math, comp sci, and history.

First year I didn't work; I wanted to focus on my studies. Apparently back then I "followed the rules," whatever that means.

Second year I worked as a desk receptionist at a university-owned apartment complex.

After my soph year, I got my first "big boy" job as a software developer for a for-profit "spin-off" of Marquette responsible for producing software used by the natural gas industry to forecast daily/monthly/yearly gas consumption.

In order to pay for school, I had to work full-time (at least 35 hours/week, up to 50; usually around 40) there.

Halfway through my junior year, I took over as lead developer/architect.

Marquette University 2005 - MS, Computing w/ concentrations in software engineering project management and enterprise architecture

Served as project manager/architect for same "spin-off" during grad school (full-time work, full-time student... just like as an undergrad).

Quote:
Well, the strange thing is I actually had been living in Florida for 14 years before I went to Beloit.

That is strange... FL to WI? How bad was your first winter here?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

We got a girl who works for us that came from Kansas and is going to Lawrence here in Apple ton. She was so unprepared for winter last year we took her shopping and bought her long underwear, polar flease and sweaters and taught her how to dress in layers. Gotta love the thin blooded who try to survive the cold.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Biomedical Engineering degree from Marquette 02

Mechanical Engineering degree from UWM 05

(couldn't get a local job here in biomedical engineering and refused to leave milwaukee, so whats 2 more years of school)

I worked as a lifeguard for the county of Milwaukee and the Hilton to help get me through school.

Purdue University, BA History 1998

University of Dayton, JD 2004

Best "job" I had in school was bing on the Big Drum crew for the Purdue marching band (see avatar). Marching band took up about 25 hours a week during the fall.

Other than that my college jobs were: Painter, telemarketer, bookstore, front desk at a housing complex, delivery truck driver, waiter, and bouncer. I tended to work 2 jobs during summer to save up scratch so that list looks long.

FL to WI? How bad was your first winter here?

Well, I was born in Milwaukee and moved to Sarasota at a young age, so I did have childhood memories of snow. But man, childhood memories kind of go to the wayside the first time you slip on black ice, or have to shovel your car out of a couple feet of wet stuff. The first time it snowed in Beloit my first year there, I had people taking photos of me and everything, it was a total novelty. I got over that real quick.

why are me and dhonks the only two who didnt go to school in wisconsin? seems like this always happens...

I was surprised at the in-state dominance too, but I'm in the exile club with you guys: Yale undergrad, English major; U. of Michigan for law school and a master's in public policy.

During college I worked in the dining hall (I can still smell the industrial detergent, and I don't think I'm imagining it). Summers I came back to Milwaukee, worked some odd jobs, and also did some freelance concert and record reviews for the J-S (then just the J). At Michigan I was a T.A. in the policy school, and during the summers I had the requisite law gofer jobs.

I haven't lived in the Midwest since law school or in Wisconsin since high school, but next June we're moving to -- of all places -- St. Louis.

Greg.

MSOE class of 99. To swing that I worked at both Cousins Subs and Subway, did telemarketing, drove an ice cream truck, worked at Circuit City and had 3 engineering internships.

For all four years of full time school, I usually had two of those part time jobs going. It was so relaxing to graduate and just work one job.

Just a few comments...

Best "job" I had in school was bing on the Big Drum crew for the Purdue marching band (see avatar).

I've been wondering what your avatar depicted, TheB.

I spent six semesters and a summer at the Helen C White computer lab (2nd floor).

Funkyplaid, did you work for Bruce? He is among my favorite circulation colleagues on campus.

And as for adjusting from southern climates to Beloit...the year I spent there (1984-85) was pretty decently cold, and there were a few young women from the Bahamas. They were very nice but bewildered in the face of -20 Fahrenheit. They did manage, but I felt bad for them.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

UWSP '94. Undergrad. Secondary Ed. Government an all that social studies stuff.

Winona State. Masters '03. Education-Administration. Went to the dark side.

While spending 5.5 years in Point, I did tons of work study gigs (computer labs mostly) and worked about 1,000 basektball camps. Also did the bartending thing, 3rd shift factory in the summer et al. Seems like a long time ago.

UW-Whitewater 05 and 06. Double major in Accounting and Finance, Masters in Accounting.

Worked at Home Depot in Lake Geneva throughout the tenure. 20 hours a week during the school year, full-time during the summer. Not the greatest job in the world but they paid for half of my tuition for 5 years and I came out of school debt free.

Currently at UWSP. Spent my first two years in Wausau at UW-Marathon County. Spent my third year in Madison, but didn't get accepted into the School of Ed there so transferred to Point last year. It'll be 6 years at least for me to get my certification in English and history by the time I'm done.

Only job I've really had during school was at Eastbay when in Wausau and donating plasma (that's a job) in Point. Most of my funds are gathered through construction work each summer.

Graduated from the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design in 2000 with a BFA in Illustration. I'm going to guess I'm about the only MIAD alum on here. Sports fans where few and far between there. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

I worked several jobs throughout college. My freshman year I worked in the library. My sophomore year I started working in the student union and I worked there for 3 years. I also worked for PJ Subs on the Eastside starting in my junior year and for awhile after college.

Graduated from the University of Wisconsin La Crosse in May. Major- Recreation Management. Minor-Business Administration. Interning this summer at Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa in Galena, IL. Working for Royal Caribbean this September.

It sucks only getting Comcast and the Cubs/Whitesox on tv and everyone I work with thinks they are a Cubs fan.

All throughout school I coached sports for the local Parks & Recreation program (football, hoops,soccer,baseball). Pretty sweet, laid back boss, made alot of friends with the other coaches. Weekend afternoons and Saturday game days only hours.

Beloit College ('08) , majoring in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavioral Biology. Got a cushy job as a building manager for Pearson's Hall, the closest thing there is to a student union.

SeriesFinale, Domenico's is some really good stuff.

Archived