Brewer Fanatic

Lilly signs with Dodgers - 3/33m

jjkoestler

I assume that this stuff is still from the Suppan signing right? Because if this is venom for signing Wolf - look at some stats from hawing's link from the other day....Wolf was a good signing and worth his contract.

Wolf was the exception and a good signing, as was Hoffman. But then there is Suppan, Doug Davis, Gagne, L Hawkins etc etc

I assume that this stuff is still from the Suppan signing right? Because if this is venom for signing Wolf - look at some stats from hawing's link from the other day....Wolf was a good signing and worth his contract.

I think it's a little premature to say that with two years remaining on the deal. I'll be the first to admit that Wolf earned his money in his last 10 or so starts, and if you look at his season stats as a whole, he was 'OK' for the money. That said, he was mediocre to bad for the rest of the season. With two years left and Wolf not getting any younger, it's far too soon to call this one a 'good signing'.

Interesting, since there was some talk of him possibly going back to the Cubs. He continues to be a very solid pitcher, but I'd be worried about giving him 3 more years. He's already 34, and as the MLBTR link notes, he was expected to be a Type-A FA.

Then again, the Dodgers aren't exactly known for their foresight on long-term deals.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I wonder if this makes Billingsley or Kershaw available in a trade? Possibly a Prince for Billingsley or Kershaw deal could be worked out.

I really like Lilly and I wouldn't have been mad if Melvin would have signed Lilly for a 2-3 year deal though that third year would have had to of been a team option for the deal to work.

There must be existing topics for discussing Wolf, Suppan, and Melvin's past free agent pitcher signings. I know we've done Wolf just recently. Let's stick to the Lilly signing and its implications.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't see any reason why they'd part with Kershaw... but Billingsley is a possibility as he is becoming less and less cheap.
I agree. Which would make Billingsley available and the Dodgers probably would then resign Kuroda in that scenario then. I'm not sure though if the Dodgers would be able to financially afford that.

The Dodgers have Manny's money coming off. And Billingsley will cost the same or less than Kuroda.

And they would have to replace Manny's production. Trading for Fielder would be the second best option behind signing a free agent to replace Manny.

Hmmm......Billingsley for Fielder would be somewhat intriguing to me, hadn't thought of that one. It would make sense in that you'd have Billingsley for two seasons, while trimming quite a bit of payroll to use towards another pitcher like Greinke. I like the fact that he strikes a lot of guys out and gets a lot of groundballs.

I agree, seems Lilly does well against the crew. However, I am amazed about Randy Wolf--could his
super stats in Aug and Sep mean he pitches well when the pressure is off----or did it take four months
for him to find his groove. Jorge De la Rosa---big bucks amazing as a FA, seeing Guerillmo Mota in the WS
plus he will be an FA. Grant Balfour with TB in post season a FA lots of former Brewers
arms floating around. I am intrigued by Arroyo as a FA.

Archived