Brewer Fanatic

Trade Hart too

mancl

When Hart signed his contract a lot of people dropped him from trade speculation. I think signing his contract enhances his value and increases the possibility he will be traded. Well it would increase the possibility of trading him if I were GM, which thankfully for the Brewers I am not. But hear me out.

First I would trade Fielder for all of the obvious reasons. A team that trades for him wants to win next year and would be very reluctant to give up much in major league ready pitching. But they would be more willing to \give up some top prospects who aren';t quite ready.

A team that knows they have Hart for 3 years or whatever the length of his contract is would be more willing to give up a major league ready pitcher knowing they still retain Hart for a few years

By trading both of these guys you get pitching for 2011 and some prospects.

Some would argue that making these deals would give up too much offense but look at the line up for next year.

Cain CF

Gamel RF

Braun LF

Weeks 2nd

* FA lst baseman, lefty, more of a steady line drive kinda hitter

Mc Gee 3rd

Lucroy C

Escobar SS

The top two are young and unproven but talented. Nothing wrong with the middle of the order.

Why would anybody trade for Hart when they could sign 2 guys to platoon in a corner outfield spot for less money and probably get better defense. Hart is one of my 2 favorite players and I still didn't like the deal.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

seems to me like his trade value would be highest on a contract for just next year, when the trading team would be able to negotiate anything long-term.

jericho, i think i know what you're talking about, that a player can't be traded within a few months of signing him. i'm not 100%, but i think because this is really an extension and a buyout of arbitration, that the rule you're talking about doesn't apply.

seems to me like his trade value would be highest on a contract for just next year, when the trading team would be able to negotiate anything long-term.

jericho, i think i know what you're talking about, that a player can't be traded within a few months of signing him. i'm not 100%, but i think because this is really an extension and a buyout of arbitration, that the rule you're talking about doesn't apply.

That's what I was thinking about. I wasn't sure if it was just free agents or any contract.

There are 2 rules. The first is that if a player signs a FA contract he can't be traded before June 15th of teh same year. That doesn't apply to Hart. The second rule is that any player with 5 or more years of service who gets traded in the midst of a multi-year contract can then demand to be traded from his new team. That does apply to Hart.

There are 2 rules. The first is that if a player signs a FA contract he can't be traded before June 15th of teh same year. That doesn't apply to Hart. The second rule is that any player with 5 or more years of service who gets traded in the midst of a multi-year contract can then demand to be traded from his new team. That does apply to Hart.

What does that mean "demand a trade"? Can't any player of any service time demand a trade whenever they want? If a player demands a trade does the team have to trade him?

I think it means that if they don't trade the guy by a certain date (in the offseason ensuing the season in which he was traded to said new team), then he can choose to void the remainder of his contract and become a free agent.

Per Cot's

• 5 years
    • A player with at least 5 years of Major League service may not be demoted to the minor leagues on optional assignment without his consent. A 5-year player who refuses an optional assignment to the minors must be offered his release.

• A player with 5 years of service who has been traded in the middle of a multi-year contract may, during the off-season, require his new team to either trade him or let him become a free agent. If the player is eventually traded, he's not eligible to demand a trade again under the current contract and loses free agency rights for 3 years. However, the 2007-11 CBA eliminated this right for players signing multi-year contracts under the new CBA. Players signed to multi-year deals before the effective date of the 2007-11 CBA retain the right to demand a trade if traded during the life of their current contract

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived