Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Hire Eric Wedge as Manager

patrickgpe

Whew dodged that one.
I agree. If this happens, it is great news on two fronts. Firstly, probably the least appealing managerial candidate to me is off the market- so bullet dodged (now, hopefully the Cubs or another team hires Bob Melvin). Secondly, what was likely the primary competition for Valentine is out of the way.

Whew dodged that one.
I agree. If this happens, it is great news on two fronts. Firstly, probably the least appealing managerial candidate to me is off the market- so bullet dodged (now, hopefully the Cubs or another team hires Bob Melvin). Secondly, what was likely the primary competition for Valentine is out of the way.
Yep exactly. As others have said, who knows if he wants to come here, but glad to the Seattle position filled.

PHEW *Wipes forehead*

Glad he's gone. Primary competition for Bobby V is eliminated, and I really hope that Doug Melvin takes a long, hard look at Valentine.

I guess I can't see why the Mariners would pick Wedge, especially after his previous troubles with Milton Bradley...

Not that I was advocating for the Brewers to hire Wedge, but why do folks feel this is a bad move for Seattle? Just curious.
Ask a Cleveland fan. One of my buddies is a big Indians fan, and from the sounds of it Wedge is basically a younger version of Ned Yost, in how he mishandles game decisions and the bullpen on a regular basis.

I'm glad for two reasons.

First, the Brewers should stay away from another AL manager. Macha's game management never stooped to the idiocy of Yost, but his disdain for using the speed he had didn't fit in the NL.

Second, the year Wedge had success, he had great starting pitching and a healthy lineup. He never came close to respectable with less.

Second, the year Wedge had success, he had great starting pitching and a healthy lineup. He never came close to respectable with less.
That's exactly my (admittedly from afar) take on Wedge. He won that weak division once in 7 years, with young pitchers like Sabathia and Lee- not to mention Carmona and Westbrook when they were good. He reminds me of Macha in that he had teams that were stacked with pitching, but his teams performed worse than Macha's A's. I'm aware that Cleveland had some severe bullpen issues during a couple of those seasons, but still.

Archived